Author Topic: How many of you all do cardio after lifting weights  (Read 3140 times)

dragonheart

• Getbig III
How many of you all do cardio after lifting weights
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
Ive been thinking of doing low intensity cardio like walking on a treadmill for an hour after lifting weights as my form of cardio for when I start cutting for summer.  Who has had good results doing this?  I want to keep catabolism as low as possible, and am not sure if I should refil my body with protein/carbs from a shake before I do the cardio, or after.

I used to do my cardio in the morning, walking outside for an hour on an empty stomach to get cut.  I want to try something different this time.

AVBG

Re: How many of you all do cardio after lifting weights
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:14:10 PM »
Ive been thinking of doing low intensity cardio like walking on a treadmill for an hour after lifting weights as my form of cardio for when I start cutting for summer.  Who has had good results doing this?  I want to keep catabolism as low as possible, and am not sure if I should refil my body with protein/carbs from a shake before I do the cardio, or after.

I used to do my cardio in the morning, walking outside for an hour on an empty stomach to get cut.  I want to try something different this time.

Yeah, 30mins low intensity (HR kept between 60-60%).. mix a little BCAA in water and sip before you start the cardio.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »

On a similar line of thought, I'm not sure which is more "catabolic" after a weight workout, moderate duration cardio (~30 minutes @ 70% MHR) or high intensity cardio of short duration (15 minutes of interval-type sprints); maybe someone can shed light on this.  What's more effective in shedding fat stores?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »
I do about 20-30 min after training.
bodybuildersreality.com

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »
I do about 20-30 min after training.
same here,but instead of running i walk at about 3.0 on the speed meter and every three to five minutes i increase the incline

and it works because i am continually adding resistance and keeping my heart rate way the hell up

and for you guys who have suck ass calves(i am not one of you) this will help you considerably

bench

dragonheart

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »
Should I drink a shake before my cardio with the usual protein/dextrose/maltodextrin to refil my muscle glycogen levels so that im not going catabolic, or can it wait until im done with the cardio?  Never cut like this before, and I really dont want to be burning all this muscle I put on.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:29:17 AM »
After training is the best way to burn fat.  You should use up all your stored Glycogen during weight exercises and the fuel your body will burn during cardio post weight training will be fat.  Before it burns up the glycogen which stores the ATP you need for lifting.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 08:41:27 AM »
and most of you nix this during bulking phases?

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 05:46:03 AM »
ZERO cardio during buling on maybe 1 time a week?

Then 7 days a week cuting in the am, never ever PW

dragonheart

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 07:52:41 PM »
ZERO cardio during buling on maybe 1 time a week?

Then 7 days a week cuting in the am, never ever PW

I dont do any cardio at all when I bulk

dragonheart

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 07:54:16 PM »
What im trying to ask here is should I eat anything (protein, carbs, bcaa etc.) after im done working out so that my muscles dont catabolize themselves when im doing the cardio?  Its just walking on a treadmill for an hour at a 3.5mph pace

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »
What im trying to ask here is should I eat anything (protein, carbs, bcaa etc.) after im done working out so that my muscles dont catabolize themselves when im doing the cardio?  Its just walking on a treadmill for an hour at a 3.5mph pace

Personally I do not eat anything between my workout and cardio.  If fat buring is your goal I believe this to be best.  However I do not do 1hr of cardio after my workout and doing that much cardio after a workout that already lasted 1hr might change things up a bit?

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
Always do cardio after lifting. This gives you all your strength and you're fresh for the lifts. Carido is mindless. It con be done tired. For safety reasons, always lift first. A warm-up of 5 to 10 minutes is recommended before lifting.

ThePassion

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 01:52:02 AM »
Why warm up five to 10 minutes before lifting??? that makes no sense

TestDummy

• Getbig IV
  • 5%
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 04:54:42 AM »

It makes no sense to worm up your muscles?

ThePassion

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
5-10 minutes on the treadmill no, it makes no sense. Why am I going to walk on a treadmill when I am trying to prepare my body for lifting weights.

Thats like throwing a football around before a basketball game.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 07:47:27 AM »
Two of the biggest guys I lifted with did about 5 min of cardio befor lifting... Seems to work for them.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »
I run to the gym and run home from gym, only about 8 minutes each way but seems perfect for me
It hasn't helped...

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:36 AM »
I think a few minutes of cardio before training is not necessarily a bad idea.  Assuming it is more than just lazily going about it.  However as already pointed out, it is not really warming up your body for weight training.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 04:02:04 AM »
the only thing on my mind after a heavy lifting session is getting home to stuff my face - cardio can wait !!

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 07:34:35 AM »
I reckon doin some cardio is good for about 20mins....just to make sure u burn some calories and ensuring that we dun put on the fat.
ur momma

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »

Warmups are key, which becomes more evident with age. 5-10 mins. cardio for this as well as fairly light weights are all effective as well as good for getting the blood flowing.

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »
Here is an interesting article about warming up before a workout:

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/oct252002/na_warmup.htm

HalloweenMan

• Getbig III
  • Team What The Fuck?!?!?!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 12:25:35 PM »
5 mins of walking before weights is great for waking your body up and getting blood flowing. 
i always do cardio after weights.  45 mins to an hour.  varies on how i am feeling.  don't take a shake or anything else until after cardio.  if you have it in your head that you must take something right after you lift or you will burn away all your muscle  ::) then take some bcaa's. 
walking fast, 3.7-4.0, on an incline of 10.0 or higher, will do wonders for your calves.  yes it burns and every step hurts, but if you do a few sets of calf raises before you do cardio, the pain never shows up and you will see great definition in your calves. 
anyways, all of this is what works for me.  try it out!
F

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »
doin cardio after workout is pretty effective,cos it loosens up ur muscles and increases ur endurance during weight training.
ur momma