Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh - racist?  (Read 8084 times)

Mr. Intenseone

Re: Rush Limbaugh - racist?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 03:28:54 PM »
ah... no... Rush doesn't do tongue and cheek...  ::)

LOL....then you have obviously never listened to his show for any period of time......thank you for that judgmental and clueless observation!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »
McNabb is overrated.  If he weren't he would have a ring by now with all the hype that surrounded him.  Now he's pissed Garcia, a white guy, is getting all his press.

O Rly?  Maybe you can address this (Pumpster ran away when I posted this on the sports board.  :)):

1.  McNabb led his team to the playoffs, with lousy WRs, in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 (when he had T.O.), which included four appearances in the NFC Championship game and a Super Bowl appearance. 

2.  He has thrown for 22,080 yards and 152 TDs v. 72 INTs, ran for 2,726 yards and 24 TDs. 

3.  He has been named to the Pro Bowl 5 times. 

4.  Before T.O., he had one of the worst sets of skill position players in the NFL.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 06:51:30 PM »
I disagree.  It's satirical, it has a point and that fact that you don't get it doesn't make Rush, or anyone else, "Hitler." 

I agree.  This is much ado about nothing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 06:52:14 PM »
I don't think it would be a big deal at all if Limbaugh would, from time to time, show a sense of self-irony and portion of humor.

Right now, Limbaugh is known for bashing everyone left and right, drug addicts have been a fave target of his in the past.

Then we find out he's an addict himself.

He repeatedly takes shots at Democrats and also wrongly labels them as "Libs", BTW.

It's like no matter what a Democrat says, Limbaugh will blast it.

Someone who doesn't listen and just plays a pre-rehearsed message, the way Limbaugh does, isn't interesting.

There are tons of Republicans, and Democrats, that don't just put on the auto-pilot message the way Limbaugh does.

Limbaugh loses credibility, even among Republicans (I doubt that he's lately been able to swing any voters TO the Republicans, rather AGAINST) and only the truest worshippers are soon going to tune in when he speaks.

The comment isn't that big deal in itself.

What matters is that it comes from Limbaugh. A man who never makes fun of himself, or ridicules right-wingers.

Had Limbaugh frequently made jokes about his fatness, or about his drug addiction, or similar stuff, then my guess is that he would've got away with it.

-Hedge

Good analysis.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2007, 06:52:37 PM »
O Rly?  Maybe you can address this (Pumpster ran away when I posted this on the sports board.  :)):

1.  McNabb led his team to the playoffs, with lousy WRs, in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 (when he had T.O.), which included four appearances in the NFC Championship game and a Super Bowl appearance. 

2.  He has thrown for 22,080 yards and 152 TDs v. 72 INTs, ran for 2,726 yards and 24 TDs. 

3.  He has been named to the Pro Bowl 5 times. 

4.  Before T.O., he had one of the worst sets of skill position players in the NFL.

He's still mired in trivia up the ass. Garcia was better. ;D McNabb's a whiner who got "sick" in the Superbowl. :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 06:55:22 PM »
He's still mired in trivia up the ass. Garcia was better. ;D McNabb's a whiner who got "sick" in the Superbowl. :-\

Okay Running Man.   ;D  Care to provide any facts in support of your conclusion that McNabb is overrated? 

BTW, McNabb did stink in the Super Bowl. 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2007, 09:36:47 PM »
Okay Running Man.   ;D  Care to provide any facts in support of your conclusion that McNabb is overrated? 

BTW, McNabb did stink in the Super Bowl. 
No matter who they add to their team and how good their defense is, he can't lead the team to victory.  A QB is the leader of the team and he can't lead.  He's proven that time and time again.  When they lean on him, he crumbles.  He was handed the spot light and cannot perform under the conditions that are set and then he blames everyone else.  Honestly, TO is a cancer but McNabb should have stopped that shit and kept the offense and the team together.  Reid is just as ineffective at that but he can coach pretty well.  I've said it before and I say it again, running is McNabb's only real consistent strength and it has been his downfall.  He runs, he falls and gets hurt.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
No matter who they add to their team and how good their defense is, he can't lead the team to victory.  A QB is the leader of the team and he can't lead.  He's proven that time and time again.  When they lean on him, he crumbles.  He was handed the spot light and cannot perform under the conditions that are set and then he blames everyone else.  Honestly, TO is a cancer but McNabb should have stopped that shit and kept the offense and the team together.  Reid is just as ineffective at that but he can coach pretty well.  I've said it before and I say it again, running is McNabb's only real consistent strength and it has been his downfall.  He runs, he falls and gets hurt.

The numbers say otherwise.  I think it is remarkable that he took a lousy offense to the NFC Championship game three times (four if you count the year with T.O., who didn't play in that game).  You could say the same about Manning.  Never really won a big game till Sunday.

Can you name his starting WRs before T.O.?  Pretty bad.   

I don't have a problem with the way McNabb handled T.O.  T.O. is indeed a cancer. 

You are right that McNabb is injury prone.  That's the only major criticism I have of him.  Aside from the injuries, he throws TDs, runs, runs for TDs, and wins.  Cannot ask for much more than that. 

OneBigMan

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2007, 06:48:43 AM »
Going back to the Rush question; he should just say that Obama is not black because his racial heritage doesn't look like he is black american and he doesn't act like one of them so why not describe his ethnic background as something other than the halfrican-american comment. That Obama guy looks like he is just multi racial.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2007, 07:19:47 AM »
Going back to the Rush question; he should just say that Obama is not black because his racial heritage doesn't look like he is black american and he doesn't act like one of them so why not describe his ethnic background as something other than the halfrican-american comment. That Obama guy looks like he is just multi racial.

Obama is black and looks black. You obvious don't know or see that many black people. My mother has naturally blonde hair and is very light skinned (called high yella). Black people in American are mixed, unless your straight off the boat from Africa. GET THAT THRU YOUR THICK SKULL.  I've seen dudes who have the same facial features like Obama, he could be the dude down the street or at the University.  And how does one "act black", is it because he is "articulate" when speaking in public, that he is not "acting black". We all speak differently in public than in private (unless you're Ronnie Coleman)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »

Rush was a fool to say what he said.

Rush is a fool PERIOD!
w

OneBigMan

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2007, 02:02:29 PM »
Obama is black and looks black. You obvious don't know or see that many black people. My mother has naturally blonde hair and is very light skinned (called high yella). Black people in American are mixed, unless your straight off the boat from Africa. GET THAT THRU YOUR THICK SKULL.  I've seen dudes who have the same facial features like Obama, he could be the dude down the street or at the University.  And how does one "act black", is it because he is "articulate" when speaking in public, that he is not "acting black". We all speak differently in public than in private (unless you're Ronnie Coleman)

All I was saying is that I don't feel like it is necessary for people to call that Obama boy a black fella because he doesn't look like a black american since his heritage is supposedly multi-racial. Also Obama doesn't have any characteristics that would be described as black behavior. Also IF you want to technically judge his skin color then you would have to say that it is not close to being black. That probably would not make him dark skin at all so he couldn't be a black guy based on his ethnicity.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »

Of course Rush is racist to some degree (I'm guessing a bit more than the average American), but 15 years ago when he was making sense, I didn't really take issue with it.  It's only been the past few years that he's gotten out of hand, in my opinion.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
"Halfrican American" - WHen rush used that phrase, it was designed to disrespect a person of color.  One can argue his degree of intent for racism or disrespect, but the fact remains that he said it to degrade Obama for his skin color. Simple as that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2007, 12:25:07 PM »
It's not a racist comment IMO.  That is apparently the opinion of many "Halfrican Americans" too. 

http://halfricanamerican.blogspot.com/

http://www.cafepress.com/saddogshirts/1611499

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halfrican+American

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
It's not a racist comment IMO.  That is apparently the opinion of many "Halfrican Americans" too. 

http://halfricanamerican.blogspot.com/

http://www.cafepress.com/saddogshirts/1611499

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halfrican+American

You can look up the "N-word" and you will see a lot of people of color use that term in their websites, blogs, and conversation.  Do you consider that word to be okay, because *many*use it?

You cannot *seriously* defend the use of that term because some people who fall under the classification use it to describe themseves, can you?

Also, can you quantify "many"?  I see one kid with a blog, one kid with a t-shirt shop, and someone put it in an urban dictionary.  DO you consider those 3 sources to be a large percentage of people who fall under that classification?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
You can look up the "N-word" and you will see a lot of people of color use that term in their websites, blogs, and conversation.  Do you consider that word to be okay, because *many*use it?

You cannot *seriously* defend the use of that term because some people who fall under the classification use it to describe themseves, can you?

Also, can you quantify "many"?  I see one kid with a blog, one kid with a t-shirt shop, and someone put it in an urban dictionary.  DO you consider those 3 sources to be a large percentage of people who fall under that classification?

Well, the "N" is obviously racist, so that's (yet another) bad hypothetical. 

I am fairly certain I interact with more "Halfrican Americans" than you and the ones I have spoken with about this think it is a riot.  There has also been a conspicuous silence by everyone except former ESPN sports commentator Keith Olbermann.  The phrase has apparently been around for quite some time (as evidence by the links I posted).  Like I said earlier, this is all much ado about nothing.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
Well, the "N" is obviously racist, so that's (yet another) bad hypothetical. 

I am fairly certain I interact with more "Halfrican Americans" than you and the ones I have spoken with about this think it is a riot.  There has also been a conspicuous silence by everyone except former ESPN sports commentator Keith Olbermann.  The phrase has apparently been around for quite some time (as evidence by the links I posted).  Like I said earlier, this is all much ado about nothing.   

You live in Hawaii, dude.  I lived in Cleveland 2/3 of my life. I'm sure you can feel "fairly certain" about my interactions but I wish you wouldn't make assumptions.

Would you use the phrase on a microphone when addressing the nation, BB?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
You live in Hawaii, dude.  I lived in Cleveland 2/3 of my life. I'm sure you can feel "fairly certain" about my interactions but I wish you wouldn't make assumptions.

Would you use the phrase on a microphone when addressing the nation, BB?

I live in Hawaii, which has an abundance of multiracial people, probably more so than anyplace else in the country, including Cleveland.  Let me just give you a sample of the people I see almost every week at my church:  two half black/half Korean brothers (although they are both in college--one in medical school), two half black/half Fijian sisters (although one is in college), two half black/half Palauan siblings (although one is currently in Iraq), two half black/half white boys and two half black/Puerto Rican siblings recently moved to the mainland.  We have lots of Asians, whites, and some Hawaiians and Hispanics too.  It is a true melting pot.  I doubt your day-to-day experience is more diverse than mine.  And yes that is an assumption on my part.     

If you're asking me whether Rush used bad judgment when making his comment, I say probably, only because he has a bad history.  I do a little public speaking (of all ages, including 60 extremely bright fourth graders yesterday morning) and I choose my words carefully.  I try and avoid saying anything that might offend people when I have a microphone or a captive audience.  There are a ton things I wouldn't say in public, but that doesn't necessarily make those things racist.