Author Topic: Want big triceps????????????????  (Read 6398 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Want big triceps????????????????
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
Thats what i think. Not because no one else said so but they seem to work best on me. When i didnt have a bench i did them while lying on the floor.

I did have a question about them. should i lock them out, like get a full extension because i fear for my elbows. OR does it matter?

Do whatever works and doesn't hurt. To reduce the chance of elbow problems:

-Ensure the extensions are done to behind and below the head-lower the weight to below the bench, getting a full stretch. Elbow positioning isn't relevant, don't worry about keeping them in the same position. Extensions behind the head are a lot easier on the elbows that the less effective "skull crushers" which aren't worth doing.
-Warm them up by doing something like dips or pushdowns first.
-Use an E-Z/hammer bar, or 2 hands around the end of a dumbbell - easier on the joints, more intense on the triceps.
-Lie on a mild decline if possible-removes some elbow stress while hitting the tris slightly better.
-A good alternative is pulley extensions, which tend to stress the elbows less.
-Keep the reps moderate 8-12, with never more than a minute between sets to keep the tissues warmed up.

Extensions are/were Coleman's & Oliva's fave size builder. Bertil's fave was bench dips. Dillet liked the dip machine, very similar to bench dips. Extensions & bench dips/dip machine are the best combo IMO.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 11:40:53 AM »
As with any exercise / muscle group what works varies from person to person, however there are always the tried and tested exercises.

Close-grips have been my base triceps builder for three years and they have always done me good.  Strangely I found less wrist pain using a straight bar than an EZ bar, but that's just my structure I guess.

Also dips, pressdowns, and any overhead extension to properly isolate the long head of the triceps.

With skullcrushers, lowering the bar to the forehead targets the medial and lateral heads, whereas lowering behind the head targets the long head. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
Do whatever works and doesn't hurt. To reduce the chance of elbow problems:

-Ensure the extensions are done to behind and below the head-lower the weight to below the bench, getting a full stretch. Elbow positioning isn't relevant, don't worry about keeping them in the same position. Extensions behind the head are a lot easier on the elbows that the less effective "skull crushers" which aren't worth doing.
-Warm them up by doing something like dips or pushdowns first.
-Use an E-Z/hammer bar, or 2 hands around the end of a dumbbell - easier on the joints, more intense on the triceps.
-Lie on a mild decline if possible-hits the muscles even better with less emphasis on the elbows.
-A good alternative is pulleys, which tend to put less stress on the elbows.
-Keep the reps moderate 8-12, with never more than 0 seconds between sets to keep the tissues warmed up.

Thanks pizump...i can always count on you for the good training tips

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 11:42:55 AM »

With skullcrushers, lowering the bar to the forehead targets the medial and lateral heads, whereas lowering behind the head targets the long head. 

The thing is, there are better exercises for the medial & lateral heads than skulls. Skulls aren't the best for any purpose, are hard on the elbows and are also potentially dangerous since it's possible to drop the weight on your face.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 11:45:16 AM »
The thing is, there are better exercises for the medial & lateral heads than skulls. Skulls aren't the best for any purpose, are hard on the elbows and are also potentially dangerous since it's possible to drop the weight on your face.

Weights on face.....not cool

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »
totally agreed, behind the head is always best.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 11:49:42 AM »
Im lucky, i've never had wrist problems so far, even with heavy barbell curls im ok.  For me the problem is my elbow (occasionally) cuz i busted it a few years back. If i go too heavy on extensions i'll pay for it for the next 2-3 days.
bodybuildersreality.com

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 11:51:59 AM »
I only use extensions every 6 weeks or so, I change the exercises I do each week.  When I do use them I have a spotter at hand throughout.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:34 AM »
totally agreed, behind the head is always best.

you mean when you do lying tricep ext. go behind the face and not to forehead?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:18 AM »

I always go to forhead with skullcrushers. Lats will help if you go farther.....i do extenions in my training for that extra stretch.
bodybuildersreality.com

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »

yes, you should lower the weight behind your head.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »

I think anyone who uses this exercise should try each way of doing it to find the one that suits them best.  Try straight / EZ bars, behind / to the head, elbows close / flared, etc. til you get the best groove for your structure.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 12:01:32 PM »
I think anyone who uses this exercise should try each way of doing it to find the one that suits them best.  Try straight / EZ bars, behind / to the head, elbows close / flared, etc. til you get the best groove for your structure.
sure there ya go. I like both bars actually it doesn't matter.
bodybuildersreality.com

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »

Its heavier when i do that i think. And i think when i did it before my shoulders or lats might have come in to play but im not sure as it was like a year ago when i tried. I just didnt like the feeling to much or it might have been too much weight.  ill check it out with something lighter.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 12:42:53 PM »
Stop teh fcuking pissing contest.

Good advices from sarc and jpm.

Nothing to add really, other than that I believe that most of the triceps training could be centred around close grip bench, board benchpress, and different versions of those presses.

Adding one excersise where you work the full range of motion seems to be a good idea too. Right now I do overhead rope extensions from the low pulley every now and then.

So lots of different benchpressing, and some additional work, isn't that what everyone is agreeing on here? 8)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:05 PM »
Anybody have any experience/success with reverse grip bench press?
My buddy and I do them about once or twice a month using a shoulder width grip on either a flat or decline bench.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »
Stop teh fcuking pissing contest.

Good advices from sarc and jpm.

Nothing to add really, other than that I believe that most of the triceps training could be centred around close grip bench, board benchpress, and different versions of those presses.

Adding one excersise where you work the full range of motion seems to be a good idea too. Right now I do overhead rope extensions from the low pulley every now and then.

So lots of different benchpressing, and some additional work, isn't that what everyone is agreeing on here? 8)

-Hedge

Not really because pump and i dont really believe in closegrip. I think they do more harm than good

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »
close grip
straight bar extension
dumbbells extension
dips

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
Not really because pump and i dont really believe in closegrip. I think they do more harm than good

Oliva, Coleman & Larry Scott put extensions no. 1 for size, because extensions focus on the largest part of the triceps the long head, more than other exercises. They'll make your tris sore in ways nothing else will. Skulls aren't worth doing, are an inferior version. Elbow positioning isn't important. It's ok to heave the weight slightly from behind the head to get it moving, especially towards the end of the set.

Compounds are great for overall size, especially the medial and lateral heads on the side of the arms. Bench dips, dip machine & very close-grip weighted pushups are comparable to CGs, just a matter of preference.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 02:18:43 PM »
Oliva, Coleman & Larry Scott put extensions no. 1 for size, because extensions focus on the larger long head more than other exercises. As far as compounds, bench dips, dip machine & diamond close-grip weighted pushups are comparable to CGs.
I always thought ex bar ext were to triceps what militery press are to shoulders and squats are for legs.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 02:38:55 PM »
Oliva, Coleman & Larry Scott put extensions no. 1 for size, because extensions focus on the largest part of the triceps the long head, more than other exercises. They'll make your tris sore in ways nothing else will. Skulls aren't worth doing, are an inferior version. Elbow positioning isn't important. It's ok to heave the weight slightly from behind the head to get it moving, especially towards the end of the set.

Compounds are great for overall size, especially the medial and lateral heads on the side of the arms. Bench dips, dip machine & very close-grip weighted pushups are comparable to CGs, just a matter of preference.
very good post, totally agreed, i believe that you always need some type of extension movement to maximize size but i absolutely love close grip presses at the beginning of the workout and will never give them up, awesome size builder.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
very good post, totally agreed, i believe that you always need some type of extension movement to maximize size but i absolutely love close grip presses at the beginning of the workout and will never give them up, awesome size builder.
Extensions + compound (CG, bench dips, etc.) is the bread & butter, what Scott & Vince Gironda believed in dating back to the 1950s & 60s. Their program still hasn't been beaten. Compound first to warm up the elbows. Sometimes use a superset of the two.

A nice finisher after those two is pulley kickbacks. Better than DBs.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 03:50:45 AM »
Getbig's Sri Chimnoy. ;D

New York—International fitness champion and global harmony leader Sri Chinmoy achieved a most astounding and amazing feat of strength, irrespective of age, in the weightlifting world by pressing two huge dumbbells totalling 740 pounds (335.66 kg) overhead. The powerful senior citizen’s seated double dumbbell press is equal to the weight of a glider airplane or a large concert piano!

Sri Chinmoy Wrist Curls Mammoth Dumbbell
Sri Chinmoy, has curled a massive 256lb (116.1kg) dumbbell with each wrist - by far the heaviest dumbbell ever curled!

It has only been just over three weeks since 74 year old Sri Chinmoy broke his own record with a wrist curl of 203lbs (92kg) - a transcendence of 30lb (13.6kg) from his previous best of 170lb (77.1kg). Not content to rest on the laurels of that amazing feat of strength, he has leapt 53lb (24kg) to curl a monstrous dumbbell that even the toughest strength athlete would probably consider impossible to move for any type of arm exercise - let alone using the tiny isolated muscles of the wrist! On top of that, Sri Chinmoy's body weight at the time of his latest triumph was 76lb (34.4kg) less than that of the dumbbell.

How does he manage to stay so un-muscular in the rest of his body?

That's what I like to know...

Impressive strength.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »
I've notied the same things.. alot of pros with good tris do two different   overhead extensioins movements..

i do
close grip bench press
DB overhead extensions
weighted dips
pushdowns with elbows out.. I kinda got the idea from watching jay cutler. its like a close grip bench press on a pushdown movement.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 05:16:13 AM »
big tris..

weighted dips.. close grip and skulls...either flat or seated..
and heady pushdowns
dumbell extensions are great and i can go really heavy on them...
but the really kill my elbow.. so i use them sparingly...
as in once per month
choice is an illusion