Author Topic: Training the neck directly?  (Read 1133 times)

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Training the neck directly?
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:23:08 AM »
I walked into the local fitness store to pick up some cable attachments and noticed the guy working there was a pretty big guy and had a really thick neck.  Is it a good idea to work the neck directly?  It might have been just genetics for him but my neck is not near that thick.

BG

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Re: Training the neck directly?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:30:33 AM »
I dont suggest working your neck directly, too much chance of hurting yourself.  Personally I think the neck gets a good indicrect workout, in my case especially from deadlifts and shrugs.
It hasn't helped...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:35:43 AM »
big necks nearly always genetic. look at mower, henry rollins or whoever. personally i do work the neck directly but thats because im into martial arts and want a to strengthen it... i dont expect it to grow that much in size...
it's not so easy to work the neck, some gyms has a 4-way neck machine, never tried one myself. wrestlers etc do bridges but its not a good exercise for beginners, put a lot of weight on that area... easiest would be to just start out with using hands as a resistance, or a towel.

i use one of these

Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
Not a big deal; oral sex is the best way.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:05:08 AM »
Working the neck is always good insurance (accidents, whiplash, etc) to keep the area strong and protective of the neck tissue, ligaments and neck bone(s) themselves. The neck can be a very strong area of the body. Shrugs, cleans & Hi-pulls target the upper and lower traps, but can have a growth effect on the neck. With some guy's, not so much. That's where individual exercises come in.

Probably the best all around neck exercise is the Wrestler"s Bridge, front and back. Can used a BB held overhead, after time, when doing the back version. Head straps are also a good investment for neck work. Lot's of weight can be handle on this exercise. Can also hook up a head strap to a cable device/pulley. Again the neck region has a potential of being very powerful. The neck will usually grow fairly well with direct attention.

Head lock drills, which wrestler's train on, is excellent, though the ears will need a guard. As Bluto suggest, a towel, folded and wrapped around the head, is excellent. Though better results will come from having a Bud add the resistance rather than yourself.  Good Luck.
F

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »
I'll never do that! The neck gets worked indirectly.
bodybuildersreality.com

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »
I walked into the local fitness store to pick up some cable attachments and noticed the guy working there was a pretty big guy and had a really thick neck.  Is it a good idea to work the neck directly?  It might have been just genetics for him but my neck is not near that thick.

BG

I was always taught that the neck responds best to reps.
Unfortunately, I've never had the luxury of a neck machine in any of the gyms where I've trained.

I use a leather harness with chain attachment and do about 15-25 reps.

For the front of the neck I perform an exercise where I lay face up on a flat bench so that my head hangs freely over the edge. I place 1 plate on my forehead and basically curl the weight up for 12-15 reps. It's a fairly small movement that resembles an ab crunch (but for your neck).

An old friend of mine used to do this movement with 2 45's, however, I find that one is MORE than adequate for me. :-\
Also, a folded gym towel will save your cranium a bit. ;)

My neck's gotten a bit bigger, but certainly not out of proportion to the rest of my upper body.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »
"keep training that neck dude!"

Z