Author Topic: chalk  (Read 898 times)

Knives

• Getbig III
chalk
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:07:26 PM »
Can I use any kind of chalk when I work out?  Can it be the type of chalk people use on blackboards, or does it have to be a certain kind of chalk?

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: chalk
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »
Sure you can use chalk.
No you shouldnt use blackboard chalk, that would be friggen expensive.
Buy rock climbers chalk, cheap and can be found in most sports stores.
big or bust

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
Also check with the gym that they're ok with you using chalk (or check that you can get away with it) cause it can be messy... my gym even has their own chalk, so it's pretty cool but there's been times where I had to  sneak around with it and cleaned the place up afterwards so people wouldn't notice  ::)
Z

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »
Also check with the gym that they're ok with you using chalk (or check that you can get away with it) cause it can be messy... my gym even has their own chalk, so it's pretty cool but there's been times where I had to  sneak around with it and cleaned the place up afterwards so people wouldn't notice  ::)

I've seen people use chalk in my gym, and I haven't seen any rules against it

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:29:17 PM »
Chalk will usually come in small blocks, plain paper wrapper. Also have the powdered form. A lot of  sporting stores that feature BB'ing supply's will have it. Most heavy lifting gym's  have a chalk box of powdered chalk. Lifters will just place the palm of their hands into the box and get it that way, dust flying everywhere. Power and Olympic lifter's can be covered with that white powder during a heavy workout. Really, from head to foot. Can usually tell a serious gym by the chalk in the air and on the lifter's.

If your hands are sweating during a workout be sure to dry them before applying block or powdered chalk. Can use chalk while using lifting straps also. For the most part, BB'er do not need chalk that much. Anyway, most commercial gym's frown on it or not allow it at all. Lifters will usually have a supply in their gym bag.

Rosin is another sticking element some lifter's will use. Problem is is that some times it can peel the skin off the palms when going for max lifts.....too sticky (this can happen with chalk also). As far as blackboard chalk goes, I have not a clue if it's the same grade.  Just a guess...yes. Good Luck.
F

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »
Chalk will usually come in small blocks, plain paper wrapper. Also have the powdered form. A lot of  sporting stores that feature BB'ing supply's will have it. Most heavy lifting gym's  have a chalk box of powdered chalk. Lifters will just place the palm of their hands into the box and get it that way, dust flying everywhere. Power and Olympic lifter's can be covered with that white powder during a heavy workout. Really, from head to foot. Can usually tell a serious gym by the chalk in the air and on the lifter's.

If your hands are sweating during a workout be sure to dry them before applying block or powdered chalk. Can use chalk while using lifting straps also. For the most part, BB'er do not need chalk that much. Anyway, most commercial gym's frown on it or not allow it at all. Lifters will usually have a supply in their gym bag.

Rosin is another sticking element some lifter's will use. Problem is is that some times it can peel the skin off the palms when going for max lifts.....too sticky (this can happen with chalk also). As far as blackboard chalk goes, I have not a clue if it's the same grade.  Just a guess...yes. Good Luck.

I train as a BBer, but today I was doing deads and shrugs with a sweaty grip and it wasn't working too well