Author Topic: SF Mayor Has Affair With Campaign Manager's Wife  (Read 11750 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: SF Mayor Has Affair With Campaign Manager's Wife
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
"Tourk and Newsom have been friends for years and frequently socialized outside work."  Sort of consistent with what I said about the relationship between a candidate and his or her campaign manager.   ::)

I'll be interested to see what kind of public comments Newsom makes about this.   

He has already made his public comments.  He apologized to his aide, Alex Tourk, his staff, and to the people of the city.  He said he was committed to rebuilding his credibility and getting on with the business of the city.  End of story.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/02/MNGVJNTI9G1.DTL
http://www.nbc11.com/news/10912261/detail.html

In looking at this story it helps to keep some perspective.  Many people are just hearing about this affair for the first time so their emotions are raw, but for Newsom this event is more than a year old.  Most of the country now looks at the Bill Clinton’s blow job as much ado about nothing.  $50 million and 5 years of investigating and the biggest “crime” they could come up with is one that hadn’t even taken place when the investigation started: he lied to a grand jury about his infidelity.

Gingrich.  Guiliani.  Many married politicians survive affairs.  In fact, I think it is fair to say the public is not surprised by this kind of stuff anymore.  By the way Newsom is single.  In a matter of weeks, if not days, people will compartmentalize Newsom’s affair and look at his record of managing the city.

Everyone who has heard about this story has at least two close friends whom are having affairs right now.  Yawn. ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
He has already made his public comments.  He apologized to his aide, Alex Tourk, his staff, and to the people of the city.  He said he was committed to rebuilding his credibility and getting on with the business of the city.  End of story.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/02/MNGVJNTI9G1.DTL
http://www.nbc11.com/news/10912261/detail.html

In looking at this story it helps to keep some perspective.  Many people are just hearing about this affair for the first time so their emotions are raw, but for Newsom this event is more than a year old.  Most of the country now looks at the Bill Clinton’s blow job as much ado about nothing.  $50 million and 5 years of investigating and the biggest “crime” they could come up with is one that hadn’t even taken place when the investigation started: he lied to a grand jury about is infidelity.

Gingrich.  Guiliani.  Many married politicians survive affairs.  In fact, I think it is fair to say the public is not surprised by this kind of stuff anymore.  By the Way Newsom is single.  In a matter of weeks, if not days, people will compartmentalize Newsom’s affair and look at his record of managing the city.

Everyone who has heard about this story has at least two close friends whom are having affairs right now.  Yawn. ::)

It's good that he apologized and he said the right things:  http://www.nbc11.com/news/10902626/detail.html

But my goodness.  What a sad commentary when an act like this by a public official elicits a yawn.  Certain segments of our society have really become desensitized to what used to be considered unethical, improper, illegal, etc. behavior.  It's not just Newsom, who I think forfeited his right to hold an office that requires the public trust, it's some people that I personally encounter in the business community.  You would be amazed how fast and loose people are with the truth and their own integrity.  It's a shame.   

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 06:42:40 AM »
Why is everyone blaming Newsome? The guy was single. He wasn't the one who vowed to take Tourke in holy matrimony forsakeing all others. I think both Tourkes bear some degree of responsibility in this as well. Sadly, what should have been a private matter to resolve between the 3 of them has gone public.  I hope the backlash against this underhanded stategy against Newsome not only backfires, but that Newsome rebounds, and succeeds exceedingly well. When will the right learn? Sex scandals don't concern democratic voters because as a whole, ...they're not as uptight, hypocritical or sanctimonious about their own sex lifes, ...let alone someone elses. You want to hurt a Democratic candidate... attack him on the issues. ps - He's kinda easy on the eyes.  ;)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 06:47:49 AM »
BeachBum, I hardly think the brother anaology is appropriate. If they were close like brothers, I doubt he would have slept with the guy's wife, ...and at the same time, if they were close like brothers, I doubt Tourke would have gone to the press rather than speak privately with him over an affair that had ended over a year ago. He would do what any other brother would do... kick his ass!  :D
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 07:14:44 AM »
I have said this before in other venues and I’ll say it again here: if we start firing everyone who has had an affair in short order everyone will be unemployed.  :-\

As near as I can tell when it comes to affairs you are in one of three stages: 

• you’ve had one in your past
• you are having one right now, or
• your going to have one in the future.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
Why is everyone blaming Newsome? The guy was single. He wasn't the one who vowed to take Tourke in holy matrimony forsakeing all others. I think both Tourkes bear some degree of responsibility in this as well. Sadly, what should have been a private matter to resolve between the 3 of them has gone public.  I hope the backlash against this underhanded stategy against Newsome not only backfires, but that Newsome rebounds, and succeeds exceedingly well. When will the right learn? Sex scandals don't concern democratic voters because as a whole, ...they're not as uptight, hypocritical or sanctimonious about their own sex lifes, ...let alone someone elses. You want to hurt a Democratic candidate... attack him on the issues. ps - He's kinda easy on the eyes.  ;)

I believe he was still married, from what I've read. 

And blaming the victim are we?  The way I read this story, the media cornered the husband.  It is difficult to suddenly and quietly back out of a public position. 

And Democrat voters less uptight?  I have a different view.  I think many liberals have no boundaries when it comes to sex and relationships (see, e.g., Hollywood).  So, from that standpoint, many liberals are "loose," and many conservatives are "uptight."  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
BeachBum, I hardly think the brother anaology is appropriate. If they were close like brothers, I doubt he would have slept with the guy's wife, ...and at the same time, if they were close like brothers, I doubt Tourke would have gone to the press rather than speak privately with him over an affair that had ended over a year ago. He would do what any other brother would do... kick his ass!  :D

Have you ever worked on a political campaign?  You might have a different opinion if you experienced a campaign and political office from the inside.  I think the brother (or sister) analogy is entirely appropriate.  Those guys and gals are just like family.  At least that has been my experience. 

And this is not necessarily a private matter.  I just read an article about public vs. private ethics.  Here is an excerpt.  I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded portion:

This city is a mess, and so is its leader. That is why I was not shocked when hearing the news that he hubristically betrayed his friend and created an uncomfortable work environment, to say the least. A guy with Newsom’s looks, charisma, brains, money, and power could have made so many wiser choices. Why didn’t he?

Newsom’s arrogance led him to ignore the inevitability that his affair with an employee and wife of a trusting friend would become public. But, as I asserted above, his professional track record of disrespecting rules and boundaries led him to make this inexcusable choice. I do not believe people can separate their professional and private behaviors: they either have integrity or they don’t.

At some point, the lines between appropriate and inappropriate become blurred; people either respect boundaries or they don’t. It matters not whether these boundaries exist on the job or off the job.
Now, Mayor Newsom, who, in humiliation, had to explain himself in front of cameras, realizes that boundaries and the law of unintended consequences DO matter.

The woman in this saga is now blaming the affair on substance abuse (I am disappointed: I was hoping for the usual bipolar-disorder excuse), the campaign manager has resigned, Newsom’s reputation is in tatters, and employees, friends, and families are in pain. . . .

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2007/02/02/gavin-newsoms-pc-sex-scandal/

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »
>Newsom’s reputation is in tatters...

Hardly.  That’s not to say there aren’t and shouldn’t be consequences but in the big picture this is a small matter.

You can’t expect sexual fidelity from your teachers, clergymen, parents, or presidents.  Can you even expect it from yourself?

As someone said previously, if this is the worst thing that a politician is outed for this year then they will have their best year in decades.  Anyone who would decline to vote for Newsom based on this episode alone is hopelessly naive.  Would you fire or fail to hire every job candidate based on adultery?  I’m disappointed in Newsom over this, but the guy is human, still a great mayor, and he’d get my vote. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 07:20:04 AM »
 ::)  Good thing this will be an out-patient program.  Wouldn't want him anywhere near the prostitutes in the program. 

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom to Seek Alcohol CounselingTuesday, February 06, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO —  Mayor Gavin Newsom said Monday that he plans to seek counseling for alcohol use, following the disclosure that he had an affair with the wife of a trusted aide.

Newsom, 39, said that while "my problems with alcohol are not an excuse for my personal lapses in judgment," he had stopped drinking and wanted professional help staying sober.

"Upon reflection with friends and family this weekend, I have come to the conclusion that I will be a better person without alcohol in my life," Newsom said in a statement.

Newsom said he would be receiving treatment from Mimi Silbert, the founder and director of the Delancey Street Foundation in San Francisco and that it would not affect his duties as mayor.

Delancey Street provides a residential program for hard-core addicts, including ex-convicts and prostitutes. Although the mayor plans to work with her on an outpatient basis, the program she has in mind for him will hardly be cushy, said Silbert, who met with Newsom over the weekend.

"The good thing, to me, is that he came and asked for help from a place he knows would not be light," Silbert said.

San Francisco Mayor Admits Affair With Campaign Manager's Wife Video
'Deeply Sorry' Delancey Street, which she founded in 1971, does not rely on the 12-step philosophy of Alcoholics Anonymous, but works to address the underlying reasons for excessive drinking, she said.

For privacy reasons, Silbert would not elaborate on how specifically she planned to help Newsom, whom she described as "very serious" about getting help.

Before taking office in 2004, Newsom founded a wine store, a string of highly successful restaurants and the Plump Jack Winery in Napa County. He is running for a second term in November.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250412,00.html

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 08:08:02 AM »
Rehab?  Yawn.  No one in the city is phased by this.  People whom work in or around city hall (staff, reporters, etc) have known about Newsom’s drinking problem for some time.  We are all glad he is getting treatment.

http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/ in Palm Springs
http://promises.com/ in Malibu
http://www.wonderlandcenter.com/ in LA
http://www.eisenhowerfoundation.org/grassroots/delancey/index.html Delancey Street in San Francisco
http://www.10acreranch.org/ in Riverside
http://www.visionsteen.com/ in Malibu
http://www.passagesmalibu.com/ in Malibu

The list goes on and on… You can’t lose money by opening a rehab facility in California. Like I said... yawn.  ::)  If he chooses to run for reelection, he will win.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 08:12:13 AM »
Everyone hops in rehab when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

you can't bash a man with a problem like alcoholism.

Nice little place to avoid the media and let the story die.

Weird he waited til after being caught to start rehab.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 08:34:56 AM »
Here comes the Dems on this board (and everywhere else) comng to defend this guy..............if it were a Republican the haters would be all over the place, God the hipocracy!!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »
Here comes the Dems on this board (and everywhere else) comng to defend this guy..............if it were a Republican the haters would be all over the place, God the hipocracy!!

Mr. I. do you really care that this guy had an affair?

If he does something corrupt or illegal then bash him all you want but an affair? Do you plan on bringing up every Republican politician that had an affair and starting a thread about them too?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
Mr. I. do you really care that this guy had an affair?

If he does something corrupt or illegal then bash him all you want but an affair? Do you plan on bringing up every Republican politician that had an affair and starting a thread about them too?

No, I'm sure it happends everyday in politics, I'm just saying that when it happends to a dem he gets a pass and if it happend to a republican it would be front page news for 6 months!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »
No, I'm sure it happends everyday in politics, I'm just saying that when it happends to a dem he gets a pass and if it happend to a republican it would be front page news for 6 months!

OK, I agree that there are Democrats on this board that would harp on it as well. I'm just speaking for myself when I say this guy's affair doesn't matter and I would feel the same way if he were a Republican or and Independent. The whole point of this thread was that this guy's a Liberal, if he were a Conservative no way it gets started by the same person.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »
Everyone hops in rehab when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Nice little place to avoid the media and let the story die.

Weird he waited til after being caught to start rehab.

Not weird at all.  This is nothing more than damage control.  The guy has no integrity. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:24 AM »
Not weird at all.  This is nothing more than damage control.  The guy has no integrity. 

agreed.  i was being sarcastic with the 'weird' line.  People who use rehab to dodge responsibility, well, they suck.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »
agreed.  i was being sarcastic with the 'weird' line.  People who use rehab to dodge responsibility, well, they suck.

True.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »

That's not true man... I give them all a pass... If someone came out and said Bush fucked some aide, I may even have more respect for the guy... his wife is terrible.

Anyway... I give them ALL a pass on fucking around... Who cares? It's got nothing to do with their job in office. Don't start on the integrity either, they are politicians, that pretty much whacks any integrity they had anyway... Besides, how many of us wouldn't bang something else anyway...

Maybe not YOU, but there's a very high percentage of dudes (women too) who would and have had affairs, then turn around someone else for doing because they're a "public figure"

Hypocrites be damned.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »
Public figures in 'sorry' state
Mastering art of high-profile apology a key leadership test

Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer
Sunday, February 11, 2007

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi wrote an impassioned front-page apology to his furious wife. Delaware Sen. Joseph Biden has done the heartfelt public mea culpa -- twice now -- and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has done it repeatedly in the past few years, for everything from off-the-cuff musings to Hollywood star-era bad behavior.

So San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom's pained public apology Feb. 1 for an affair with the wife of his campaign manager served as a high-profile initiation into a growing club -- that of prominent public figures who have had to say "I'm sorry" in the glare of very big headlines.

As Newsom proved last week, there's a fine art to the delicate problem of making a public apology -- and not everyone navigates the crucial steps to make it effective, said Barbara Kellerman, a lecturer at the Center for Public Leadership in Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government.

"A leader's apology is a performance in which every expression matters and every word becomes part of the public record," Kellerman wrote in her extensive study published in the Harvard Business Review called "When Should a Leader Apologize -- and When Not?"

That, she said in a telephone interview from Boston, makes this difficult act the ultimate high-stakes move "for themselves, for their followers, and for the organizations they represent."

The latest political apologies are just the most recent in a line that runs back decades and includes, among its most famous, President Bill Clinton's 1998 mea culpa in the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Kellerman said there are five simple rules when it comes to the art of a good public apology: Acknowledge your mistake, accept responsibility, express regret, say it will never happen again -- and make it fast.

And in that context, Kellerman gave Newsom's performance decidedly mixed reviews.

She rates his first apology -- perfunctorily delivered in a news conference Feb. 1 -- as highly effective. "Consider the context," she said. "If he were mayor of Boise or Tallahassee, Fla., the level of tolerance would not be the same. ... He did fess up and turn people's attention back to the business of the city."

That is, until last week, when the San Francisco mayor followed that up by telling his department heads that he had an alcohol problem and would seek counseling. Kellerman said that made it all look suspiciously like part of a new -- and increasingly tiresome -- trend: the apology-rehab combo.

Similar themes were used recently by a congressman (former Rep. Mark Foley, copping to hitting on male interns), a movie star (Mel Gibson, anti-Semitic rant), a TV star (Isaiah Washington of "Grey's Anatomy," anti-gay rant) and a comedian (Michael Richards, anti-black rant).

"It's a joke," Kellerman said of the rehab explanation. "Anybody who is serious thinks of that as more funny than anything else. I think for a public official, that's not generally the way to go. I think most people dismiss that out of hand."

Newsom's public apology, though national news, was trumped in the international headlines by an even more eye-opening one -- that of former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who delivered a "mea culpa" so memorable that an Italian commentator predicted it "will be used in years to come by men from the left and the right as a blueprint for conjugal repentance."

The apology came after Berlusconi's wife, Veronica Lario, wrote a front-page open letter to a major Italian newspaper, headlined "Silvio, Say You're Sorry." It demanded that Berlusconi, reported to be Italy's richest man, show her respect and stop flirting with other women in public settings -- as recently when he told an attractive woman at an event that if he weren't married, "I would marry you immediately."

The former premier delivered the sugar in a searingly passionate front-page response, published with the headline, "Veronica, Forgive Me."

"Take this public show of my private pride giving in to your fury as an act of love. One of many," he said, in a letter that ended with the sign-off, "a big kiss, your Silvio."

It was a masterful performance, Kellerman said. "He's been immensely successful in public life as in corporate life -- so who can quarrel with someone that powerful? He committed a range of sins, sure ... but then again, it's Italy. The levels of tolerance in Europe -- especially for issues relating to fidelity and marriage -- indeed are enormously different than in this country."

She isn't as kind to Biden, who had to apologize in a past presidential campaign for plagiarizing parts of his campaign speeches. The Democratic senator was forced to do it again this month when he called presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama a "clean" African American candidate for president.

Biden "is known for running off at the mouth," Kellerman said, and his past misdemeanors make this "not so readily forgivable. We're not talking a personal but a public matter. It's much tougher to get over."

And since this transgression concerned a comment on the very sensitive issue of race, "it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to recover."

But in the case of Schwarzenegger, who has publicly apologized for groping and for such comments as suggesting a Latina legislator was "hot-blooded," the public is more likely to cut him a break, Kellerman said.

"Context matters," she said. The California governor is a former Hollywood star who -- like it or not -- gets more slack in the apology department.

And for that, "he might thank his wife," Kellerman said. First lady Maria Shriver, who softens her husband's rough edges on many a public occasion, "is every bit as responsible, if not more so, for the (public's) willingness to forgive. So he owes a very high debt of gratitude to his eternally loving and tolerant wife."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
Public figures in 'sorry' state
Mastering art of high-profile apology a key leadership test

It was a masterful performance, Kellerman said. "He's been immensely successful in public life as in corporate life -- so who can quarrel with someone that powerful? He committed a range of sins, sure ... but then again, it's Italy. The levels of tolerance in Europe -- especially for issues relating to fidelity and marriage -- indeed are enormously different than in this country."

I'm not so sure about that.  Take Eddie Murphy for example.  Married to a pretty woman.  Apparently has a thing for transvestite hitchhikers, divorces his wife and mother of his five (?) kids, shacks up with Scary Spice and apparently knocks her up only to leave her a few months later and hook up with Baby Face's ex.  No one is jumping up and down about him.  Didn't affect his box office appeal or bother "the Academy."  Our standards are pretty low in this country.   

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 10:01:17 PM »
I do not believe people can separate their professional and private behaviors: they either have integrity or they don’t.

At some point, the lines between appropriate and inappropriate become blurred; people either respect boundaries or they don’t. It matters not whether these boundaries exist on the job or off the job.

So where's your holier-than-thou condemnation of Bush?
...or do you acribe to the 'youthful indescretion' line of defense?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
Berlusconi's public apology was priceless. I laughed so hard about that.
She actually mailed it to a paper that was fiercely anti-Berlusconi too.  :D

Never diss the wife!
w

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »

WTF? Even when Rush ADMITTED he was an addicted the fucking media tried to tear him apart along with all the libs and people on this board, the DA made public his personal medical info and just about everything else they could get their hands on and now you say (because he's a liberal I'm sure) that "you can't bash a man with a problem like alcoholism"?

And PLEASE don't tell be that taking prescription drugs is any different!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 10:23:25 PM »
LOL I was being sarcastic.  When people screw up, they SHOULD be nailed to the wall for it.

People from both parties use rehab as a place to hide WHEN THEY GET CAUGHT.

They don't need help, until it helps them avoid the media.  THEN they use it.

And, anyone who questions they're actions is looked at, as an A-hole, for attacking them while they're in rehab.  it's bullshit.  If you get caught with little boys, in a DUI, or with illegal scripts, you should face the crime, not stall til the spotlight fades, THEN face the crime.