Author Topic: SF Mayor Has Affair With Campaign Manager's Wife  (Read 11713 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
SF Mayor Has Affair With Campaign Manager's Wife
« on: February 01, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »
So the gay marriage champion is divorced?  As they say in Hawaii, I nevah know. 

AIDE QUITS AS NEWSOM'S AFFAIR WITH HIS WIFE IS REVEALED
Campaign manager confronts mayor, who is 'in shock'
Phil Matier, Andrew Ross, Cecilia M. Vega, Chronicle Staff Writers

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Newsom's Affair
Newsom apologizes at press conference (2/01)

Aide quits as Newsom's affair with his wife is revealed (2/01)

Nevius: Most seem to be willing to forgive Newsom (2/01)

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom's re-election campaign manager resigned Wednesday after confronting the mayor about an affair Newsom had with his wife while she worked in the mayor's office, City Hall sources said.

Alex Tourk, 39, who served as Newsom's deputy chief of staff before becoming his campaign manager in September, confronted the mayor after his wife, Ruby Rippey-Tourk, told him of the affair as part of a rehabilitation program she had been undergoing for substance abuse, said the sources, who had direct knowledge of Wednesday's meeting.

Rippey-Tourk, 34, was the mayor's appointments secretary from the start of his administration in 2004 until last spring. She told her husband that the affair with Newsom was short-lived and happened about a year and a half ago, while the mayor was undergoing a divorce from his then-wife, Fox News host Kimberly Guilfoyle, said the sources, who spoke on condition they not be identified.

Alex Tourk "confronted the mayor on the issue this afternoon, expressed his feeling about the situation in an honest and pointed way, and resigned," said one source close to Tourk and his wife.

Tourk's resignation was announced in a statement that Newsom's campaign released Wednesday. The statement quoted Tourk as saying only that he was resigning for personal reasons.

The statement quoted Newsom, 39, as saying he had accepted the resignation with great sadness.

Asked at City Hall Wednesday evening about Tourk's resignation and the affair, Newsom said, "I'm not making any public comment. I'm just not."

Tourk and Newsom have been friends for years and frequently socialized outside work. Tourk did not return phone calls Wednesday seeking comment. Rippey-Tourk, who now hosts a weekly radio show for Benefit Magazine in San Francisco, also did not return calls. A family friend who asked not to be identified said she would have no comment.

Reports of the affair come at a particularly sensitive time for Newsom, who is embarking on his campaign for re-election in November. The mayor's personal life has come under scrutiny in recent weeks. In December, several witnesses at a late Friday night vigil for a mortally wounded police officer at San Francisco General Hospital reported that Newsom appeared to have been drinking when he arrived. A spokesman for the mayor declined to comment on those reports.

The controversy involving Tourk left Newsom's inner circle reeling. "I feel really bad for Alex," one adviser said. "He is blameless in this."

After meeting with Tourk, Newsom maintained his public schedule, which included attending a reception for city commissioners and officiating over a marriage in his office.

Privately, however, aides said the mayor was in shock over the meeting.

Polls have consistently shown Newsom's approval ratings among city voters topping 70 percent, unusually high for a politician in his fourth year in office. Although his relations with the Board of Supervisors have deteriorated over the past year, no competing candidate has emerged for this year's mayoral race.

One person who says he intends to challenge Newsom, former Supervisor Tony Hall, said Wednesday night that he hoped news of the affair was not true. But if it is, he said, "the city deserves much better than what it's getting."

Eric Jaye, Newsom's chief political adviser, said he was confident that any political damage to the mayor would soon dissipate.

"There will be a minor amount of turbulence, but as long as the mayor continues to do his job, it will have no lasting effect," Jaye said. "Ultimately, politicians are judged by how they do their jobs as elected officials."

Newsom's predecessor as mayor, Willie Brown, said that "any time you have a scandal associated with sex and relationship, there is no way to predict how the public will react. In my own experience, you just have to be prepared to ride with the storm. You can't shut it down and stop it."

Newsom's chief City Hall rival, Supervisor Chris Daly, refused to speculate about how publicity over the affair would affect the mayor's career.

"I think there's a lot of time to figure that out," he said. "Right now is not the time. I really think the day this hits the papers, the focus should be on the actual human lives involved."

Other critics of Newsom said the news spoke volumes about the mayor.

Jack Davis, a political consultant who helped elect Brown and former Mayor Frank Jordan and was looking for someone to challenge Newsom, said, "There is nothing new in that story that I haven't been aware of for the last six months. Now that it's public and out there, Gavin ought to resign and seek psychiatric help."

Tourk worked as an aide to Brown before joining Newsom's first mayoral campaign in 2003. The next year, he became Newsom's deputy chief of staff and served as one of the mayor's key strategists.

He was instrumental in turning Newsom's idea of inviting homeless people to one location and providing them with myriad services into a reality. Almost 15,000 people have since received services during more than a dozen Project Homeless Connect days in San Francisco.

In his resignation statement, Tourk said, "I am honored that, as deputy chief of staff, I helped create and implement key policy initiatives such as the Homeless Connect program that is now a national model for its compassionate and comprehensive approach to helping the homeless."

Newsom's statement said Tourk "was instrumental in my first election, organizing a strong early re-election effort, and shaping successful policy during his service with the city and county of San Francisco. We all wish Alex well and know he will be successful in all of his future endeavors."

While running Newsom's re-election campaign, Tourk helped the mayor raise about $620,000 from supporters around the country. He has been paid about $50,000, Jaye said.

"The campaign will move forward and will not be distracted by this," Jaye said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/01/MNGM8NSSD91.DTL

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: SF Mayor Has Affair With Campaign Manager's Wife
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »
are you compliment him for beeing da dog?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »
I predict Friday morning, Rush will blame nancy Pelosi for this one.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:27:52 PM »
are you compliment him for beeing da dog?

Not at all.  Now let's see if he'll do the honorable thing and resign. 

I'll be holding my breath. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:06 PM »
I think it's great!!!

Get all you can man... He shouldn't have banged an Aide, but 'eh... so what?

At least it wasn't an underage male page.... :x

Oblique

• Getbig III
  • The Warrior King
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
I predict Friday morning, Rush will blame Nancy Pelosi for this one.

I blame Nancy Pelosi for giving me nightmares. That face isn't human.

As to the honorableless mayor, he's a typical scumbag. But to get elected in S.F., doesn't one have to pretty much be a scumbag?

Polls have consistently shown Newsom's approval ratings among city voters topping 70 percent, unusually high for a politician in his fourth year in office.

No need to search for alien life amongst the stars.

It is already here. ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »

As to the honorableless mayor, he's a typical scumbag. But to get elected in S.F., doesn't one have to pretty much b a scumbag?

Can you name 5 women in DC you'd rather get with?

As far as an older woman, she's kinda hot.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 10:37:17 PM »
I think it's great!!!

Get all you can man... He shouldn't have banged an Aide, but 'eh... so what?

At least it wasn't an underage male page.... :x

Dude.  It was his campaign manager's wife.  That's almost like sleeping with his brother's wife. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Dude.  It was his campaign manager's wife.  That's almost like sleeping with his brother's wife. 

You said "almost". :D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »

As to the honorableless mayor, he's a typical scumbag. But to get elected in S.F., doesn't one have to pretty much be a scumbag?

I always thought so... I mean, it's San Francisco... home of bad Accounting practices and the .bomb devistation... Plus, all those earthquakes... all the time...

Oblique

• Getbig III
  • The Warrior King
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:44:26 PM »
Can you name 5 women in DC you'd rather get with?

As far as an older woman, she's kinda hot.

I don't spend my time thinking about such things as what female politicians do I find attractive.

It's not a thought that ever enters into my mind.

It's not exactly where one should be trolling for chicks, older or otherwise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:51 PM »

lol.  Hey Willie Brown wasn't a scumbag.  Or was he?? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »

Willie brown is psychic.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 10:54:41 PM »

I'm sure he was... it's San Francisco, just goes with the territory.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 08:16:58 AM »
No one in SF is going to hold this affair against him.  He will win reelection and go on to run for govenor.

• The guy is single.
•  He is doing a good job as mayor.
•  People in SF do not have sexual hang ups; the religious right has no power in the Bay Area and certainly not in SF.
• The sex was consensual; men like to have sex; occasionally men have affairs.  Everyone in the city (gay or straight) knows and accepts that.
• Many people in SF have open and even poly relationships.
• This affair gives him hetero street cred (ibility).
• The city has bigger fish to fry.
•  He has nice hair

It’s too bad that the affair was with his campaign aide’s wife… but these things happen.  :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »
This isn't a religious issue.  To put this affair in context, a campaign manager is probably closer to a candidate than anyone except the candidate's spouse.  The candidate's deepest, darkest secrets have to be disclosed to his or her campaign manager.  They are very tight.  So, to sleep with your campaign manager's wife is about as low as you can get. 

It says a lot about this man's honor and integrity.  I am baffled that he is still a public official.  Well . . . now that I think about it . . . this is San Francisco where anything goes. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 09:52:47 AM »
Baffled or just unsophisticated?  SF isn’t the only place where people have affairs.  In fact, one would be hard pressed to name a place where affairs haven’t taken place.

President François Mitterrand had numerous affairs and a longtime mistress (he eventually had a child with her) and everyone knew it.  When he died, his mistress was at his funeral and his family—including his wife--embraced her as someone who was important to him.

Being naïve about sex and adult relationships is a great position from which to morally lecture other people, but when reality bites you either grow up fast or remain an idiot.  Dick Cheney and his wife have learned that lesson the hard way.  I’m sure they had all kinds of notions about how evil gay people were until their own daughter turned out to be a big dyke.

Every reasonably attractive man or woman understands what Mayor Newson went through.  It’s nothing to celebrate but throwing rocks when we all live in glass houses is ultimately foolish.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
I believe I'll stick with "baffled."   ::)

This isn't about men who have affairs.  Plenty of them do it, and they are almost always "outed" eventually.  This is about a public official sleeping with his campaign manager's wife.  It is dishonorable and displays an alarming lack of judgment, self control, and poor character.  Not the kind of person you want leading a city (unless it's San Francisco apparently).

I suspect people who have an anything goes view of sex and their sex lives don't have a problem with this.  Folks who believe a person should honor their marriage vows, not sleep with their close friend's wife, and that public officials are held to a higher standard might be a little bothered by this.   

And talk about a hypocrite.  Here is a man who was championing (homosexual) marriage while he was destroying his own marriage and the marriage of his good friend.  Now THAT is hypocrisy.     

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=13&entry_id=13121
Would this prevent you from voting for Newsom?

The voters have spoken:

Tori Paulman, The Haight
Seriously people! Give me a break -- I think some folks need to get more lovin'! In addition to the separation of church and state in this country, we should focus some attention on the separation of state and bedroom! What Newsom does, how he does it and with whom should at best be a subject for the tabloids, certainly not for the polls.

Lesley Walsh, Richmond District
I can't say I appreciate politicians' pecadillos all over the morning news, but then again, I'm not Newsom's confessor, and I really don't think it's any of my business. I'll decide who to vote for after I've seen the opponent and the campaign.

Susan Jackson, Sunset
Willie Brown set the example for this kind of boorish behavior. Why should we expect anyone to act any differently? Newsom at least has done more for San Francisco than his predecessor; his heart seems to be in the right place, even if other body parts are not.

Brian Backus, Lower Haight
I'm a big fan of our mayor, and this personal matter would in no way affect my vote. I only regret that it may diminish a very talented politician's national prospects.

Paul Barwick, Mission District
Looks like a two'fer to me. In one stroke (no pun intended) he has laid to rest the rumors that he might be gay, and also has shown himself to have what it takes to be a Democratic candidate for president.

Vandana Makker, The Haight
I would still vote for him. Bill Clinton clearly had a shady personal life, but he was a great president. I think Newsom is doing a good job as mayor.

Al Parso, SOMA
The mayor is hot! He's a stud! Who wouldn't want to sleep with him? He definitely has my vote.

Lucy Wang, Russian Hill
No wonder the city is still in a mess! His personal life keeps getting in the way. I didn't vote for him in the last election, so why should change now?

Lynne Painter, North Beach
Of course not! I hope it doesn't keep him from running. The media need to spend less time on his hair and personal life.

Robert Cromey, The Mission
I judge Mayor Newsom by his civic, not sexual, performance.

Chris Coghlan, Sunnyside
It wouldn't make me not vote for him. Most of us have made very poor decisions, especially when we are going through emotionally tough times. The healing power of the flesh is not to be undervalued. He would have to fall farther than that for me to turn on him now. His stance on gay marriage was one of the bravest things I have ever seen from a politician.

Charles Barragan, The Mission
I never voted for Mayor Brylcream, and frankly it's refreshing to see a bit of tarnish on the Golden Boy's veneer. His tryst reflects his total immersion in the political waters, where power and sex will draw you in but the consequences may drown a career.

Albert Goodwyn, Seacliff
The affair is irrelevant. I'll vote against him on another basis: He's in it for the ego and does not pay enough attention to the needs of the city. Even Jordan was better, not to mention Agnos.

Daniel Curzon-Brown, Ingleside
I could care less where the mayor places his affections. Why would anybody run when every syllable, every moan is dragged out for public commentary? Stop it! The media are the culprits, making much ado about nothing.

Julie Bennett, North Beach
I'd prefer that Gav kept it in his pants and stayed out of the limelight. Yet his conduct wouldn't sway my vote. Newsom is the only politician I have voted for that I actually agree with just about every decision he has made. I trust him. When stories like this are made public, it makes me think that I now know the dirt about him, unlike other politicians and the big, ugly ghosts in their closets. Gavin has passion -- it helps him more often than it hurts him. Run Gavin Run!

Rick Chafian, The Sunset
I had been very pleased with Gavin Newsom's actions in the early part of his mayoral term, until recent reports of his being seen in bars with an underage girlfriend, combined with his statement of "I'm not making any public comment" and chief political adviser Eric Jaye's quote that "any political damage will soon dissipate" regarding the affair with a married co-worker. I will seriously have to re-evaluate whether Newsom's ethics deserve re-election.

Edan Hughes, Upper Market
For centuries in Europe when their leaders had mistresses, it was looked upon as a sign of power and potency. Our bachelor mayor needed to get laid. Big deal!

George Lindsay, Outer Haight
Of course I will vote for the mayor's re-election. His peccadillos have nothing to do with how he governs the city. The media must more vital misdeeds to report on than this.

Toby Dixon, Lower Haight
I voted for Matt, but have grown to like Newsom. I don't think we have to worry about voting for Newsom because I doubt he will be running after this affair. However I would vote for him if he ran -- unless Matt decides to run.

Don Langley, Pacific Heights
It's an example of acting without thinking, which is troublesome, but it's a personal matter. My vote is based on public actions. Willie Brown's having an illegitimate baby while in office didn't seem to affect his governance, so why should this stupid dalliance affect Gavin's?

Brad Akin, St. Francis Wood
No, because his private life is none of our business. This gossip is not worth the paper it's printed on. The writers of the article, as well as Jack Davis, Eric Jaye, Tony Hall and Willie Brown should all be ashamed of themselves for their comments.

Howard Crane, Russian Hill
It's one thing -- and not a very intelligent thing -- for a prominent public official to engage in an adulterous relationship. It's quite another thing when he betrays a loyal associate in the process. We now know who and what Mr. Newsom is. Since he undoubtedly will not step down, it is up to us, the voters, to decide what to do with him.

Wade Hampton, Miraloma Park
I will still vote for Newsom. My belief in his character, integrity and dedication to serve the city is still intact and steadfast. I did, however, raise an eyebrow over his lack of judgment in this indiscretion.

Tony An, The Sunset
It won't have any effect on me. Newsom didn't do anything illegal. What he does in private is none of my business. I would even vote for Bill Clinton.

John Champlin, Lower Haight
Having an affair with an employee, married to your friend, who is also an employee, while you're still married? Yeah, that's pretty darn low. However, it's not clear that there's a better candidate running -- so far.

Paul Holtz, The Castro
Not at all. It was extremely poor judgment, and a terrible thing to do to a staff member and supposed friend. But his private life is separate from his public persona, and has no effect on his ability to lead -- though I suspect many supervisors will ramp up their efforts to block his initiatives purely out of spite.

Ed Rose, Duboce Triangle
Considering the precedent set by Willie Brown, I wouldn't vote against Gavin on the basis of this latest revelation. However, when I see the homeless still in the streets, a weak police chief and dismal public transportation -- that could have an effect.

David Jamison, Buena Vista Park
This wouldn't influence my vote. I still strongly support Mayor Newsom, even though I think this was a stupid mistake. He's done a great job as mayor, and I hope to see him win a second term.

Sharon Collins, Pacific Heights
Depending on who his opposition will be, right now I would vote for him. He seems to have a libido and personal judgment problem, but has been a good mayor. Too bad his inability to to control his sex drive will bar him from future higher office holdings. Maybe he should head for sex-drive rehab. Congressman Foley knows the way!

Marilyn Benioff, North Beach
It wouldn't influence my vote one way or another. If Newsom is doing a good job for the city, what difference does it make what happens in his private life -- though it's hard to keep it private, it seems.

William Buehlman, The Excelsior
A candidate's judgement is always a consideration. As with anything, there are degrees. Many of us have made some poor decisions in our personal lives which, hopefully, we learn from and don't repeat. This doesn't mean that translates to an inability to do a good job in our professional lives. I would probably vote for a more progressive candidate, but not because of this incident.

Abra White, Nob Hill
Not at all. I believe more in the deeds the mayor does in office than the hyped misdeeds of his private life. In cases like these, there are hurt feelings and abundant chances to sling mud. When voting, we all have to remember more the good than the bad.

Kim Klausner, Bernal Heights
Poor impulse control does not necessarily make one a bad mayor. And my opinions about a politician's personal life don't influence how I vote. But in this case Newsom made a personal decision that has ramifications for public policy. I'll evaluate his entire record at election time, but I offer a piece of unsolicited advice -- let your brain, rather than other body parts, guide your decisions about relationships.

Henry Mensch, Excelsior
I would still vote for Newsom. People have messy personal lives -- that's why we hire them on the strength of their skills and abilities. Mayor Newsom has done a great job for San Francisco, and I hope that other San Franciscans can see this.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 10:22:03 AM »
Oh my God, an elected official had an affair with his Campaign Manager's wife, the world just might end.  ::)

If this is the worst thing an elected official is outed as doing this year then politicians as a whole will have their best year ever. If someone wants to start listing all the politicians that have had affairs they'd be typing for a week. Affairs have always and will always happen in both parties.

Two consenting adults have sex and it makes headlines, big deal.

If he commits a crime or is accused of corruption then great, talk about it but having sex with another consenting adult?

Oh, and by the way, Campaign Manager's are more often than not hired guns, brought in for one purpose and leave once the job is done. To use the brother analogy is more than reaching.

Anything to cast negative attention on a liberal though, great strategy.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 12:41:49 PM »
"Tourk and Newsom have been friends for years and frequently socialized outside work."  Sort of consistent with what I said about the relationship between a candidate and his or her campaign manager.   ::)

I'll be interested to see what kind of public comments Newsom makes about this.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »
"You can trust me with your life, not your money or your wife."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 01:34:43 PM »
"You can trust me with your life, not your money or your wife."

Ain't that the truth.   :-\

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »
No, what you said was "a campaign manager" not this campaign manager. You intimated all campaign managers are as close as a spouse or sibling.  ::)

The fact is often times campaign managers are hired guns that come in to do a job and then leave to run another campaign without thinking twice about the previous candidate. To imply that campaign managers are analogous with a family member is ridiculous and hyperbole.

And last I checked "friends for years and socialized outside of work" still doesn't imply a relationship that's as close as wife or brother but of course having you admit that is impossible.

Of course none of that matters because this guy is a Liberal, if he were a conservative it would make all the difference in the world to those that spew party line rhetoric as if it were gospel read from the Bible.