Author Topic: Training Partner : Pros & Cons?  (Read 2294 times)

Drij

• Getbig IV
Training Partner : Pros & Cons?
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »
The only good thing I see about it is help with a spot sometimes.

I'm consistant with going to the gym ( 5days a week), people ask me to go with them.

I don't mind but I dont' like training with anybody. I like going on my own schedule.

I don't like following other people in the gym

They talk to much or they're to slow/fast

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Training Partner : Pros & Cons?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
i dont use one.

guess it's good if you share the same kinda goals and dont train to differently to push eachother etc

cons could be if he's not on the same level, if he shows up late etc
Z

bigguns175

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »
I never really had a training partner but back at home I would always meet up my friends at the gym at say 3 or 7 and do our thing.  Now that I went off to college I just don't have the motivation to go to the gym and wish I had a workout partner kind of, or a good friend to go with me.

The different level thing is a hard one sometimes I like someone at a higher level than me so that they push me harder, you seem to adjust to what they do, but sometimes they push too hard and results in injury.  If you have someone lower level than you, you usually feel better and bigger, but you prob dont push yourself and just settle for the weights that they lift.

Cons of partner go to fast or too slow is my main complaint.  I like to do a set when my body feels ready to do one, don't like to be rushed and sometimes I hate waiting on them because I lose my pump.

Pro: someone to spot you, keeps you lifting hard

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »
All pros if you have the right chemistry. Assuming you work out together on the same program ideally, or are at least on the same wave length re: spotting. Can help bigtime with motivation, easier to get through days when you don't have energy because usually the other guy won't feel the same way the same day.

That's aside from the friendship that can be built through intense bombing sessions. Go for a nice big-ass meal after the shower.. :o

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind a training partner, but I prefer my freedom to go when I can and do what I want.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 08:46:36 PM »
A training partner is good if they are Training YOU more than themselves...kinda selfish i know but I saw these 2 guys once...one guy was older and you could tell used to be huge, and the other was a huge younger guy. The older guy was training too, but he was handing the younger guy the weights, setting everything up and spotting. 

Kinda like Leeroy and Dorian Yates. A partner like this is almost impossible to find but I sure would like to have one.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »
A training partner is good if they are Training YOU more than themselves....

As long as it's mutual, that's the ideal. Win-win.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 06:29:14 AM »
POSITIVES:

Motivation - having them talk you through each set and verbally help you get that one extra rep you may not have got otherwise.

Spotting - stopping a bar falling on you and crushing your chest/neck.

Forced reps.

NEGATIVES:

May have a tendancy to chat to them for too long during the break.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »
chatting is a pathetic con.

I used to train with one of my best mates and we shut the fuck up and trained and trained hard!

I have no partner now and sometimes I wish i did but on the other hand it can upset your routine if thy do not show. This is the main downside imo.

Back to chatting, thats my pet hate in the gym! People using it as a social area, if your doing your training no matter if your doing 10lb bench presses or 500lb chatting for 10 minutes in between sets is pathetic.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
chatting is a pathetic con.

I used to train with one of my best mates and we shut the f**k up and trained and trained hard!

I have no partner now and sometimes I wish i did but on the other hand it can upset your routine if thy do not show. This is the main downside imo.

Back to chatting, thats my pet hate in the gym! People using it as a social area, if your doing your training no matter if your doing 10lb bench presses or 500lb chatting for 10 minutes in between sets is pathetic.

ta ta

Well, that's the only valuable con I see. If they turn up late, just start without them. I don't see that as a con unless you have alot of forced reps to do or something where you need a spotter.

Chatting isn't great, but I try to ignore it and just get on with it.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 08:05:29 AM »
it does not bother me hearing people chatting it bothers me when loads of nerds are using all the benches when the gym is busy and they chat for ages while I wait!!

It is easy to train alone but if your used to training with someone and they don't show thats annoying and generally means your routine will change although I accept thats not always the case.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »

NEGATIVES:

May have a tendancy to chat to them for too long during the break.

You've got too much time between sets. Should only be time to alternate sets back and forth with the other guy.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
it does not bother me hearing people chatting it bothers me when loads of nerds are using all the benches when the gym is busy and they chat for ages while I wait!!

It is easy to train alone but if your used to training with someone and they don't show thats annoying and generally means your routine will change although I accept thats not always the case.

ta ta
When nerds are hogging the benches it's necessary to mention that someone's waiting if necessary, then if they don't respond mention to management.

Training without the other guy if he doesn't show is no biggie. Just start in, if he gets there a little later he can still spot you.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 03:11:48 AM »
I used to have a training partner but now train on my own - main reason he cant get there at same times as me. I actually prefer training on my own, only thing i miss him on is bench press for spotting, but you can always get somebody to spot you anyway if going very heavy. I now have the freedom to go train when i want rather than fitting in around him,.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 04:21:44 PM »
With a training partner, you've got competition, always spurring each other on, trying to beat each other, plus they can spot you.  The problems arise when you wanna work on your weaknesses and they don't so your routines clash.

I work out alone now, which I prefer.  I don't know what exercises I'm going to do til I get there.  I can have my own music, etc.  If I need a spot on something I just ask the management or another guy in the gym.

AVBG

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
Ask Arnold jr.. his partner is a whiney bitch..

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »
A training partner is good if they are Training YOU more than themselves...kinda selfish i know but I saw these 2 guys once...one guy was older and you could tell used to be huge, and the other was a huge younger guy. The older guy was training too, but he was handing the younger guy the weights, setting everything up and spotting. 

Kinda like Leeroy and Dorian Yates. A partner like this is almost impossible to find but I sure would like to have one.

fine you can train by yourself from now on
big or bust

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »
LOL

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 02:23:50 PM »
oui: Do you have a training partner?

SCHWARZENEGGER: Yes. He helps push you through the pain periods. The relationship between the two of you is very close—closer than most marriages, in fact—and he has to understand when you're trying to chicken out, as well as when you really have to put the weights down, when you absolutely can't go on. He's looking after your body as if it were his own. Sometimes your body really gets bombed out: You try to go through this pain thing, but your body won't push the weight, and your partner will help you with his fingers just enough so that you can handle it. He'll stand behind you and lift with his fingers and make it possible—but just barely possible—for you to make the lift, and then on the next repetition, maybe he'll help a little bit more.
Z

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »
hahaha! sorry Truly, you know i like training with ya!  :)
bodybuildersreality.com

Gene

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »
The only good thing I see about it is help with a spot sometimes.

I'm consistant with going to the gym ( 5days a week), people ask me to go with them.

I don't mind but I dont' like training with anybody. I like going on my own schedule.

I don't like following other people in the gym

They talk to much or they're to slow/fast

takes to long to get to the next set, don't have time to do much rest/pause techniques since they need to get their set going, also can't take longer rest if needed at times.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 07:33:11 AM »
training partners id swear ive had over 20...........  me and my friend in highschool had a awsome training bond for a couple years. by senior year it started dying out. while i was in the army i would like to wait for a new soldier to get arrive and let them come train with me. new lifters are the best because they cant use the wieght you can but they are motivated and they push and will follow the routine u want.
but like all things they die out. i guess training can be a personal thing. i train alone i sleep alone i travel around the world alone so what ever. i had a training partner over in korea he was from nj like me tough mf we would push each other hard but we went over board lol we trained each other sick  since ive been out of the army ive been training alone at home its cool i can put on some heavy metal and sweat all over my equipment if i want. but it is tough sometimes training heavy on bench. lol but whatever zane trained at home while he taught and  he was mr o........

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 03:49:07 AM »
I sacked my training partner cause he farted in my car.....True story

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 08:06:10 AM »

Hhaha - monster over reaction!! Must have been one bad muthaf ucking fart !!??  ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »

Let's hope you're kidding, that's the gayest excuse out there.