Author Topic: Squeeze "at the top"  (Read 1287 times)

FW_Scott

• Getbig II
Squeeze "at the top"
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:43:33 AM »
I have heard many times that you should squeeze and the top for a count of one.  But I NEVER see people doing this in the gym.  I will admit that I workout at 24 Hr Fitness and 99% of the people who workout there are puke (including myself) but there is an occassional meat head in there and I don't ever see them squeezing for a count of one.  Is this a myth or is there a benefit of squeezing at the tope?

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
Re: Squeeze "at the top"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:55:57 AM »
im personally doing this for a little time now and im liking. Im doing specially on biceps work and im seeying a difference in my 'peak' (if i can call that a peak, LOL) and its doing good. Im having better pumps too
!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:36:28 AM »
Not sure if FW_S is referring to benches, presses,arms, squats or what. A few BB'er's I've know do this at the top of the squat, squeezing the cheeks together. And some when doing benches work. I don't see the advantage, though it may bring a little more blood and muscle control to the area. And a better blood supply will help to build muscle for BB'ers. If it feels like it's doing you good, than help yourself. Let us all know anyway. Good Luck.
F

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Not sure if FW_S is referring to benches, presses,arms, squats or what. A few BB'er's I've know do this at the top of the squat, squeezing the cheeks together. And some when doing benches work. I don't see the advantage, though it may bring a little more blood and muscle control to the area. And a better blood supply will help to build muscle for BB'ers. If it feels like it's doing you good, than help yourself. Let us all know anyway. Good Luck.

It might be a mental thing as far as bringing the rep to competion.  I would def. recommend squeezing your glutes and pushing your hips forward at the end of a deadlift, or flexing your tricep fully at the end of a pressdown or pulling your shoulder blades together at the end of a pullup/pulldown, those are a few examples I can think of.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 05:08:46 PM »
well its always recommended by the personal trainers etc doing leg extensions and hold for a second on top or whatever... but you most of the time you end up not doing it  ::)
Z

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »
squeeze and hold on leg extensions, calf exercises, and bicep curls.  there's no point squeezing on the bench press or leg press, in fact here you do not want to lock out, keeping the tension on the muscle all the time.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
Compound movements - I don't squeeze, cos I think when you're lifting heavy the muscle is getting worked enough anyway.

Isolation movements - You can probably squeeze on them all, I do on flyes, concentration curls, db laterals, leg extensions, curls, etc.