Author Topic: The Vault: Good Idea Or Bad?  (Read 8774 times)

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
The Vault: Good Idea Or Bad?
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:06:17 AM »
I've had a brain wave (or fade, depending on your point of view), which I'd like the Mods to consider:

The Vault

Whenever two members of the board engage in a debate where they have opposing views, any given member can challenge the other to take them on in The Vault!!!!

Here's what I think the rules should be:

- One post each
- 500 words maximum
- At least 90% of the content must be written by the member (we'll let you quote a little)
- Links, etc. can be used, and must be used if quoting from a named source
- Footnotes are not included in the word count, but must be of reasonable length (eg. no extensive explanation)
- Both members must post within a 24 hour period
- Both member must agree to this period beforehand
- Both members must agree to enter The Vault
- No insults or expletives (unless quotes or valid references)

For example - the topic could be abortion.  240 challenges Ribonucleic (never gonna happen, I know boys), and each member begins writing their views.  They are then subsequently posted, the board reads both essays, and decides who has won - recommends further information, debates even more etc.

I think this is a great way of shedding some more light on big issues, and letting the many intellects of this board square off against one another in good-natured debate.  It's also a much more amicable way of 'calling someone out'.

Mods, what do we think?  Can we use this, or is it expecting too much for a social political board?  Let's have some feedback.

PS. The rules are open to additions or deductions depending on people's (Mods) reactions to them.

Let the carnage begin!!
Thread Killer

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: The Vault: Good Idea Or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:19:35 AM »
I kinda like it... Like the vault appears or maybe call it "The Cage"... the vault sounds like an archive... when the challenge is made, a sticky is there long enough to have people read the entries, get votes and tally winner.  The best idea you've had yet you loser...  Not permanent, but when the challenge goes.  If people like it, I'll add it to the rules not as a forum rule but just as a notice of this being an attribute to the political forum that can engage in.  I like the idea but expand out the time to write it to 72 hours so each side can put together a well done argument.  People are busy and sometimes one day is only an hour or less of time after they get done with all their daily activities and it better be well written for people to read 500 words... that's a fact :P  I like it Bruce, I think it's an excellent way to improve the forum.  way to get er done...  It  would NOT be a permanent sticky but just when the essays were entered and enough time for a vote and congrats to a winner...  Lets hear ideas on this!!!!  I'm intrigued!!!!

I will sticky this for 24 hours, lets here what everyone thinks!!!!!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:24:49 AM »
  I think it is a cool idea. I enjoy reading the posts guys like Bruce and 240 put up. They are usually well written and full of facts,not just "George Bush Sucks!" (even though he does).  :)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:51:51 AM »
Some kind of duel?

That's pretty funny.

The one-post rule may be what could keep it doable.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Delusional Liberal

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 05:22:10 AM »
sounds cool

-DL

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »
Coolio........  i like it

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work.
E

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:50:41 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work.
yup, but both would have accepted the challenge before a sticky is created so I'm guessing they'll be up for it if they didn't say no.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 11:47:43 AM »
Do it....it will be like a Real World Challenge.....but better.
Squishy face retard

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
First of all, thank you for the sticky – and everyone that’s taken a moment to give some feedback to this idea.

Not permanent, but when the challenge goes.  If people like it, I'll add it to the rules not as a forum rule but just as a notice of this being an attribute to the political forum that can engage in.  I like the idea but expand out the time to write it to 72 hours so each side can put together a well done argument. 

My initial idea was that the two members can decide when the debate goes down – so I can challenge 240 in a week’s time (say February 23), and my post must be posted on this day.  240 then has 24 hours to post his essay.  I’m not sure at this stage whether we should allow a second round of essays (possible shorter) to be made as a follow up debate on the issue, and to address opponent’s arguments.

The idea that at least 72 hours is given to both parties before this 24 hour period begins is a good one though.

The best idea you've had yet you loser...

You had me at ‘Hello’.

I like it Bruce, I think it's an excellent way to improve the forum.  way to get er done...  It  would NOT be a permanent sticky but just when the essays were entered and enough time for a vote and congrats to a winner...  Lets hear ideas on this!!!!  I'm intrigued!!!!

Indeed!
Thread Killer

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 02:47:35 PM »
First of all, thank you for the sticky – and everyone that’s taken a moment to give some feedback to this idea.

My initial idea was that the two members can decide when the debate goes down – so I can challenge 240 in a week’s time (say February 23), and my post must be posted on this day.  240 then has 24 hours to post his essay.  I’m not sure at this stage whether we should allow a second round of essays (possible shorter) to be made as a follow up debate on the issue, and to address opponent’s arguments.

The idea that at least 72 hours is given to both parties before this 24 hour period begins is a good one though.

You had me at ‘Hello’.

Indeed!

What about this idea, that both essays are posted at the same time... the idea is to best support your position.  The sides are already drawn.  Why not draw sides, make the debate clear and have both post the essays exactly at the same time. and judge who best made their case.  If one posts first, the second will always have an advantage because he can custom his essay to be and exact refutation of the essay posted, but if both are in the dark with how the other will support his/her position, it will be more like a real time debate when you don't know how your opponent has prepared.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »
What about this idea, that both essays are posted at the same time... the idea is to best support your position.  The sides are already drawn.  Why not draw sides, make the debate clear and have both post the essays exactly at the same time. and judge who best made their case.  If one posts first, the second will always have an advantage because he can custom his essay to be and exact refutation of the essay posted, but if both are in the dark with how the other will support his/her position, it will be more like a real time debate when you don't know how your opponent has prepared.

Yeah true, I thought the same thing after I posted - it would be much better if both are posted at the same time.  Perhaps even emailed to a Mod first, who then starts the thread and posts both at the same time so we don't have to rely on members on opposite ends of the world getting their timing right.
Thread Killer

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:09 PM »
I think it is a waste of time.

I like it better when there is a statement or question, then an answer, and a rebuttal.

Some posts and posters either exaggerate or do use complete sources, so there can be a lot of crap that just isn't true in some of the posts.
Z

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »
I think it is a waste of time.

I like it better when there is a statement or question, then an answer, and a rebuttal.

This is an even better way of making sure this happens.  It'll be a serious forum where the posters will be held to a certain level of integrity withing their inital statements and replies.  Flooding of threads with long and boring information will not be permitted, just hard facts and concise debate.
Thread Killer

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »
This is an even better way of making sure this happens.  It'll be a serious forum where the posters will be held to a certain level of integrity withing their inital statements and replies.  Flooding of threads with long and boring information will not be permitted, just hard facts and concise debate.

You guys never post hard facts in here. Most of you think that if someone makes an anti-American video and it winds on on Google video then it must be true ::)
E

AVBG

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »
The Vault sounds like a crappy supplement from SAN  :-\ .. But it is a  Great idea!

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 04:11:59 PM »
You guys never post hard facts in here. Most of you think that if someone makes an anti-American video and it winds on on Google video then it must be true ::)

That's hardly the way I do things round here, anyway Danielson, the members that do engage in posting falsities will be called out as doing so after their essay has been read.
Thread Killer

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »
That's hardly the way I do things round here, anyway Danielson, the members that do engage in posting falsities will be called out as doing so after their essay has been read.

Well, I don't know about this essay thing. But perhaps you can get the bleeding heart liberals to stfu once in a while so more people could join the discussions.
E

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
The Vault sounds like a crappy supplement from SAN  :-\ .. But it is a  Great idea!

;D Okay, well let's just say I'm open to other suggestions Re: the branding.

Beserker said 'The Cage', is that a better idea?
Thread Killer

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 04:15:58 PM »

How about a Republican board?
E

AVBG

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »

The Cage is a good alternative.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
Any other name suggestions, guys?
Thread Killer

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 04:23:41 PM »
Any other name suggestions, guys?

Why not call it "3rd grade?" Thats when you start writing essays.
E

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
Why not call it "3rd grade?" Thats when you start writing essays.

Because, for most of us anyway, it's not also the same year you stop.
Thread Killer

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
Because, for most of us anyway, it's not also the same year you stop.

I just think you are trying to make this place more than it is. If I make a post in the future and someone asks me to write an essay to prove my point, I will tell them to fuck off. You are trying way too hard to make this an exclusive club for a select few and not making this place inviting for Getbig as a whole imo.
E