Author Topic: Limbaugh: Obama Should ‘Renounce’ His Race And Just ‘Become White’  (Read 6396 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Limbaugh: Obama Should ‘Renounce’ His Race And Just ‘Become White’
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »

Not for another year.  To say it's early is an understatement, yet the media has this thing all but wraped up... "McCain will beat Hillary 51%-49%, with a 0.0000000000923% margin of error.  Next!"   ::)

Yeah.  There could be a sea change before then.  I recall Bill Clinton doing very poorly in New Hampshire and winning, and Pat Buchannan winning the New Hampshire primary and tanking. 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
I wouldn't call him wishy-washy, but just an unknown.  For example, I don't know where he stands on... Homosexual Marriage

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »
So until Obama openly calls for the impeachment of both Bush and Cheney, his particular flavor of politics-as-usual is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Fu#k that shit.

Lol, well your position is pretty clear!  

Maybe he's planning on shipping Bush over to the Hague for prosecution of war crimes after he gets in.  That'd be less traumatic for the country.  

But seriously,  I think I read of some recent poll that even of the people "open to the idea" of impeachment, only around 30% of those think it's a priority. (Many believed it would only tear the country apart.) Perhaps there's not much leverage in platforming that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 11:43:39 AM »
I wouldn't call him wishy-washy, but just an unknown.  For example, I don't know where he stands on these issues:

- His specific plan for the war in Iraq if he becomes Commander in Chief
- Taxes
- Death Penalty
- Crime and Law Enforcement
- Abortion
- Homosexual Marriage
- His plan/ideas for balancing the budget

He has to come down on one side of the fence or the other on these and many other issues.  His inflated popularity will come back down to earth as soon he takes firm positions.  

But that info is all out there... he has come forward with his position on most of what's on your list, perhaps even all of it.  He's pro death penalty, supports civil unions for same-sex couples but thinks it should be up to the individual states to decide on the marriage issue,  he wants a semi-withdrawal of troops from Iraq starting this year, wants to pursue talks with Iran but thinks war may be a future possibility, etc...  if you look, you'll see he's firm on many issues.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
But that info is all out there... he has come forward with his position on most of what's on your list, perhaps even all of it.  He's pro death penalty, supports civil unions for same-sex couples but thinks it should be up to the individual states to decide on the marriage issue,  he wants a semi-withdrawal of troops from Iraq starting this year, wants to pursue talks with Iran but thinks war may be a future possibility, etc...  if you look, you'll see he's firm on many issues.  

Thanks.  I haven't looked.  If he becomes a serious candidate (i.e., a threat to Hillary) someone will pull together his stance on all of the issues. 

BTW, someone called me yesterday to discuss the civil unions bill that is AGAIN before our legislature and had some interesting comments.  He said because the bill gives people all of the rights of marriage, it really discourages and undermines marriage, by giving many heterosexuals a disincentive to get married.  I agree. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »
Thanks.  I haven't looked.  If he becomes a serious candidate (i.e., a threat to Hillary) someone will pull together his stance on all of the issues. 

BTW, someone called me yesterday to discuss the civil unions bill that is AGAIN before our legislature and had some interesting comments.  He said because the bill gives people all of the rights of marriage, it really discourages and undermines marriage, by giving many heterosexuals a disincentive to get married.  I agree. 

Funny... it was in the Canadian news maybe six months ago.  But the acceptance of civil unions with the same rights of marriage has actually slightly discouraged heterosexual people from living "in sin," but has had no impact on marriage. The study cited several countries. Should a domestic relationship dissolve, the parties may be obliged to split assets, etc... as they would in divorce.  So those who aren't "so sure" where the relationship is headed, are thinking twice before shacking up. 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
He supports civil unions for same-sex couples but thinks it should be up to the individual states to decide on the marriage issue

Civil unions = "Fags ride at the back of the bus"

I would have hoped that Obama, of all the candidates, would have had the moral clarity to denounce this.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »
Civil unions = "Fags ride at the back of the bus"

I would have hoped that Obama, of all the candidates, would have had the moral clarity to denounce this.

You're absolutely right about the "riding at the back of the bus" argument.

However, it looks like some of the gay community actually supports Obama on his position. This piece specifically notes that gays support him because he does exude a vibe of transparency and honesty.

http://www.southernvoice.com/2007/2-2/news/national/index.cfm

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
You're absolutely right about the "riding at the back of the bus" argument.

However, it looks like some of the gay community actually supports Obama on his position. This piece specifically notes that gays support him because he does exude a vibe of transparency and honesty.

http://www.southernvoice.com/2007/2-2/news/national/index.cfm

This civil unions stuff is just another step towards homosexual marriage.  It's just a matter of time. 

We've done some nutty things with our laws here (e.g., defining "gender identity" to be whatever you want it to be). 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »
This civil unions stuff is just another step towards homosexual marriage.  It's just a matter of time. 

We've done some nutty things with our laws here (e.g., defining "gender identity" to be whatever you want it to be). 

Which of these conservative principles do you find irrelevant to the support of gay marriage?

1) Government isn't supposed to regulate our personal lives.

2) Government isn't supposed to endorse a religious condemnation of homosexuality.

Or is it that you just don't like "queers"?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »
Which of these conservative principles do you find irrelevant to the support of gay marriage?

1) Government isn't supposed to regulate our personal lives.

2) Government isn't supposed to endorse a religious condemnation of homosexuality.

Or is it that you just don't like "queers"?

If you have paid attention to the voting results when this issue has been on ballots across the country, you'd know that it isn't a partisan issue.  Homosexual marriage has been rejected by the majority of voters in pretty much every state it has come up for a vote.  When it came up for a vote in Oregon and activists spent a great deal of time and money pursuing the issue, it was rejected.  We rejected it by about a 70 percent margin in Hawaii and this is basically a one party state (liberal Democrat).  It was a Democrat president who championed the Defense of Marriage Act.  At the present time, the country (including liberals and conservatives) don't want this. 

Regarding the government, my position is the government shouldn't try and legitimatize this lifestyle choice and undermine traditional marriage.  The majority of the country agrees with me, for the time being. 

And "queers" question is just dumb.   ::) 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »
You wouldn't vote for a man who was half-black?

I never said that!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »
I never said that!

Would you vote for a man who was half-black?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 03:03:14 PM »
Would you vote for a man who was half-black?

Sure, why not?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 03:04:49 PM »
Sure, why not?

So why is the label that Obama has, such a big deal?

I don't understand why you don't look at Rush's speeches on it, over and over, and say "Rush, I like your show, but don't you think you should talk about something relevant, something that matters?"

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
If you have paid attention to the voting results when this issue has been on ballots across the country, you'd know that it isn't a partisan issue.

I agree that it's not a partisan issue. It's an issue of the nation's founding principles. Or - as I like to say - "What part of 'all men are created equal' don't you understand?"

Civil rights for blacks in Mississippi would not have won the ballot either. There's a reason why such things are not supposed to be decided by popular vote. It's called "protection from the tyranny of the majority".

"Traditional marriage" is a code-word for "Christian law". The United States is not supposed to be in the business of enforcing Christian law.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:24 PM »
How exactly does one 'renounce' his race, anyway?

Do I become any less white if I deny it?
Thread Killer

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »
You wouldn't vote for a man who was half-black?

You know, the funny part is I'm 1/2 black... unlike Obama... I look white.

See... the problem with people like Rush is that because his skin tone is to the brownish side... he labels him as black... Rush would label me as white.

He doesn't know anything about either one of us as a person and to tell someone to denounce EITHER side of their heritage is fucking insane. Does that mean I see myself as white or black?

Sometimes I'm both! Most of the time I don't even fucking think about it.

How many people say they are 1/2 Irish or 1/2 Italian... or whatever... and never speak of their other 1/2?

They speak of them both because both sides are what make that person who they are.

For Rush to even bring up this Race issue shows that it's more important to Rush than to anyone else... I could give a shit less if the guy was Polka dotted.

What is he trying to do? Make sure white people don't vote for Obama?

What the hell is the point is all I wanna know... What is your point Limbaugh? Do you even have one?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »
Lol, well your position is pretty clear!  

Maybe he's planning on shipping Bush over to the Hague for prosecution of war crimes after he gets in.  That'd be less traumatic for the country.  

But seriously,  I think I read of some recent poll that even of the people "open to the idea" of impeachment, only around 30% of those think it's a priority. (Many believed it would only tear the country apart.) Perhaps there's not much leverage in platforming that.

That was why I had once suggested it might be good if GWB simply committed suicide, the way Hitler did.
I remember Hedgehog jumping down my throat over that one.  ::)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2007, 03:29:23 PM »
I agree that it's not a partisan issue. It's an issue of the nation's founding principles. Or - as I like to say - "What part of 'all men are created equal' don't you understand?"

Civil rights for blacks in Mississippi would not have won the ballot either. There's a reason why such things are not supposed to be decided by popular vote. It's called "protection from the tyranny of the majority".

"Traditional marriage" is a code-word for "Christian law". The United States is not supposed to be in the business of enforcing Christian law.

Actually, this is a matter that must be decided by popular vote.  Homosexuality is not innate, like race.  It's a lifestyle choice.  It's not included in the categories of "suspect classes" like race and national origin.  Comparing homosexuality and race is apples and oranges IMO.  People chosoe to live and leave the lifestyle all the time.  Anne Heche is an example I've probably used about ten times on this board:  straight, then lesbian, then straight and married to a man, had a baby, now divorcing.  You cannot change your race, although it has been tried (see "Black Like Me"; great book).  

A lifestyle choice is subject to majority rule.  

And there is nothing wrong with Christians participating in the voting process.  Some people are very paranoid about any Christian influence in the public sector.  While I agree with church-state separation, I disagree that we have to try and remove religious influences from the legal process.  They are intertwined.  And really, at the end of the day, if people don't want a "Christian" influence in the any particular law, they should go to the polls and vote.  That is something Christian conservatives do very well.    

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2007, 03:32:29 PM »
Actually, this is a matter that must be decided by popular vote.  Homosexuality is not innate, like race.  It's a lifestyle choice.  It's not included in the categories of "suspect classes" like race and national origin.  Comparing homosexuality and race is apples and oranges IMO.  People chosoe to live and leave the lifestyle all the time.  Anne Heche is an example I've probably used about ten times on this board:  straight, then lesbian, then straight and married to a man, had a baby, now divorcing.  You cannot change your race, although it has been tried (see "Black Like Me"; great book). 

A lifestyle choice is subject to majority rule. 

Anne Heche is absolutely the exception to the rule...

Scientific studies have shown that a Gay male's brain functions like a straight females, and a lesbian female's functions like a straight male.

I disagree completely that it is all about "choice".

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »
You know, the funny part is I'm 1/2 black... unlike Obama... I look white.

Denounce your blackness!  Refrain from being dark!  Wear Abercrombie and Fitch!  Remove your 22" chrome wheels!
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2007, 03:34:27 PM »
Obama was absolutely right about the Iraq war.
Bush was absolutely wrong.

That's gotta fukkin' smart, eh? ;)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »
Denounce your blackness!  Refrain from being dark!  Wear Abercrombie and Fitch!  Remove your 22" chrome wheels!

But I look good when I tan... Abercrombie doesn't suite me, and 22s are not worth the money...

See... I'm conflicted!!! I wonder if I can lobby for a new "tan" race... instead of black or white.