Which do you do and why?
big or bust

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Cardio
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 05:00:40 PM »
High intensity or Moderate
Which do you do and why?
moderate cuz it burns fat not muscle. duh  ::) please Truly next time give me a hard one. :)
bodybuildersreality.com

SuperStu

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:06:37 PM »
definatley moderate for me....i don't want to burn off the hard earned muscle.  I'll ride the bike, stairmaster or treadmill and at steady low pace. 20-30 min after i train.  when im dieting i up cardio to 45min sessions twice a day still low paced.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:53:42 PM »
Sprints are better  ;)
:

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »
two types of cardio for me- walking 3-5 miles which would fall into moderate and 30 minutes on an eliptical with varying intensity levels throughout

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
not eating enough loses muscle imo otherwise sprinters would have ZERO MUSCLE correct? "I lost all my muscle from sprints" .....ummmmmm yeah.... Vary it with high intensity when you can and walking when your tired or on a weights day.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 03:25:48 PM »
not eating enough loses muscle imo otherwise sprinters would have ZERO MUSCLE correct? "I lost all my muscle from sprints" .....ummmmmm yeah.... Vary it with high intensity when you can and walking when your tired or on a weights day.

No one likes sprints cause it's hard (me inculded) but I believe it's a neccessary part of a cardio routine.  I can go for miles with a moderate pace on a treadmill and not break a sweat (sweating not being the most important part) but I'm dripping after a few 30 second blasts on the basketball court or on the treadmill.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 08:50:44 PM »
yeah i could do elliptical trainer till the cows comes home , but a few sets of shuttles and im fuuuugged   ;D

enzuccio

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »
If you are over the age of 40, it is best to consult with a physician first if you can safely use elliptical trainers. This is especially true if you have underlying health conditions or heart problems.

If you have no health problems at all, you can maximize the fitness results of elliptical trainers. Basically, a 30-minute workout on the machine will help you burn about 300 calories. If you want to lose one pound for every week, you can do so by spending about 60 minutes a week on the elliptical trainer.

For better workout results, you can spend an hour doing the cardio exercises using the elliptical trainer – and mixing it up with other types of exercises.

Source: Elliptical Exercise Machines Blog

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »
Mix it up

Sprints on some days and 30-40 min jogging on others.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Sports clinics/research/trainers/practical application would suggest different forms of interval training.  Including the Tabata protocol. All geared for short burst of max physical effort, followed by even shorter pauses and than another burst of effort again. As 20 seconds effort-10 second pause-20 second effort-etc. Continuing the pattern from 4 to 8 cycled per workout. Each interval workout lasting between 2 to 3 and one half minutes max. And having 2 to 4 training interval sessions a week. Excellent fat burning abilities while holding on to (or even gaining) muscle mass.

Not for everyone (nothing really is) because of the brutal pace of the workouts when people first start this intense type of training. But can be worth the time of those who wish to approach a workout with serious intent. Easy to do a complete search on interval or Tabata protocol for more detailed information.

Cal apply very well to medium sprints. Football players do a version of these. Good variety of exercises like Squats, DL's, SLDL (great choice for me), lungs's, step-ups,spinning,  etc.  Even punching a heavy bag. Good Luck.

F