Author Topic: What's the best home gym?  (Read 5325 times)

LT

• Getbig II
What's the best home gym?
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:00:59 PM »
I want get some feed back about home gyms. I have been working at a gym for 11 years. I'm 31 years old with a baby on the way and my wife and I are looking to by a new home. I want to buy a home gym so I can work out at home if I can't make it to the gym. Is the BOFLEX any good or is it garbage? Should I just get a bench, barbell, dumbbells,  and Multi sport gyms? What kind of home gym can I get that covers all the muscle work outs?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: What's the best home gym?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:16:17 AM »
most that are serious about their homegym get a powerrack so they can squat.hardest part to train at homei is legs... kinda depends if you just want to maintain what you allready got or build some serious muscle... but i guess it depends on how much you want to spend and if you got room for it. some of these racks also allow chins and even dips... put a bench under it and you can safely do benchpresses to without a spotter.

problem with dumbbells is that they tend to get expensive when you buy a lot of them and just a few pairs wont do...

a dips/chins like linked above isnt bad... that'd take care of back, chest, triceps and biceps... get a barbbell and you can do shoulders, legs, traps etc too

stick around, im sure there'll be more advice coming  :)
Z

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:22:37 AM »
If i were you, iŽd buy olympic barbell, plenty of plates, some heavy dumbells, couple of adjustable dumbells (for warming up). Proper bench and a squat rack. If you still got dough get a cable station for rows, curls, pushdowns etc.
Stay away from those "multi-all-in-one-home-systems" most of them are crap and even if youŽd be able to find a decent one it canŽt replace "good ole compound exercices" you can do with free weights.

Good luck...
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »
As Bluto suggested, a Power Rack might be your best choice. With the safety features alone, it can be worth the investment. And no spotters are ever needed. The better ones will have a dipping bar attachment and a chining bar. A few can have both of those and a cable attachment (high or low). Some may suggest a Smith machine but the con's can out weigh the pro's. Not a machine suited for everyone.
Unless your doing extra heavy DB work, a regular adjustable set (or two) should fit your needs. A flat/incline  bench (combined) should fill you requirements quite well.

If you really needed only the basic equipment for training, than a dipping and chinning bar would be all you would need for the upper body. Along with a hooked chin/dipping belt and assorted plates. Step-up or one legged squats for the legs. Of course you would be limited for variety of exercise. All depends what your goals are.

Might check out the local ad's in the paper, Recycler, etc. This time of year a lot of prime exercise equipment can be found and at a very low cost.. Those New Years resolutions and Christmas exercise presents can fall by the way very quickly when people realize that it really does take a little effort to workout. If you buy anything on line, might want to check the shipping coast. That can be anywhere to 50% of the equipment ordered it's self. If you have a pick-up, and you find something near by, that go get it yourself. I've drove a couple of 100 miles in my truck, to get some very find equipment for our gym, last summer. Worth it in the long run. Good Luck.
F

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
As Bluto suggested, a Power Rack might be your best choice. With the safety features alone, it can be worth the investment. And no spotters are ever needed. The better ones will have a dipping bar attachment and a chining bar. A few can have both of those and a cable attachment (high or low). Some may suggest a Smith machine but the con's can out weigh the pro's. Not a machine suited for everyone.
Unless your doing extra heavy DB work, a regular adjustable set (or two) should fit your needs. A flat/incline  bench (combined) should fill you requirements quite well.

If you really needed only the basic equipment for training, than a dipping and chinning bar would be all you would need for the upper body. Along with a hooked chin/dipping belt and assorted plates. Step-up or one legged squats for the legs. Of course you would be limited for variety of exercise. All depends what your goals are.

Might check out the local ad's in the paper, Recycler, etc. This time of year a lot of prime exercise equipment can be found and at a very low cost.. Those New Years resolutions and Christmas exercise presents can fall by the way very quickly when people realize that it really does take a little effort to workout. If you buy anything on line, might want to check the shipping coast. That can be anywhere to 50% of the equipment ordered it's self. If you have a pick-up, and you find something near by, that go get it yourself. I've drove a couple of 100 miles in my truck, to get some very find equipment for our gym, last summer. Worth it in the long run. Good Luck.

Craigslist as well.  We've tried to sell off old equipment, it's worth pennies on the dollar...definetely go used. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
Used is worth exploring and can give great value-or not. I buy and sell on Craig's fairly regularly. Ebay as well; sometimes can get a good deal on gym equipment, especially if it's located in your area.

Depending on the piece, the used price can still be high, plus the selection's not always great, especially in smaller markets. Also if the model's an older one, parts support can be problematic AND there will be no warranty. In addition, the physical act of transporting a used piece can be very daunting (i've done it) vs. having a new piece shipped directly to your door, often at no cost. Then there's the condition-sometimes used equipment's like new, sometimes it's not. Then there's the fact that there's no return policy on used, so you better be sure of what you're getting before buying.

As a result, it's worth considering both new and used.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
I have a power rack and love it.  I lift with a coworker during our lunch break and I have pretty much everything I need for a good workout.  The most expensive part was my rubber coated dumbells with rack.  You can find the Power racks cheap if you look around just make sure you get the cable attachment with it... normally it cost extra.  I picked up a body solid bench off of ebay for 229 shipped that I really like.. very heavy and very solid.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »
PowerRack w/ cable Pulldown, FID bench, Hex Bells in your fav sizes (keep adding).

Also: PLing- Chains, bands, wire/ chain-clips, 2x12" boards & cordless screw gun & skill saw for various board press rigs.
2 or 3 Stability balls, various sizes (for stretching moves)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »
One prime factor about a basic Power Rack is that there are no moving parts. Except for the setting pins, of course. If it comes with a /dip/chinning device, no problem either. If a pulley/lat machine is attached,  the only moving parts should be the pulley wheels, which (on the ones I've seen) are pretty standard. Any good hardware store should have a matching replace pulley wheel. Probably would only need a hex wrench on most. Any cable should be inspected closely though. If any one uses a Power Rack, a good investment is rubber inter locking mat's to go with it. Actually any home gym floor could benefit from those mats on the floor.

If you part a Power Rack, it's pretty easy to move on the back of a trailer or P/U, with tie downs. Seeing as how BB'ers are manly men (in theory) and much stronger than the average guy, really no problem moving most equipment. This way we can tell who has developed the most functional strength.  A dolly & handcart can work wonders, also.. Good luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »
Transportation of used gear and the potential difficulty of getting pieces of equipment in/out of apartments, ain't no joke, even for long-winded macho men. Especially for those less obsessed with power racks. ;D

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:58:02 PM »
adjustable bench, bb, plates, some dumbells, dipping and chinning bar, you can do the entire upper body with that.  if you have enough space, add a pulley for pushdowns and pulldowns.  go to the gym once a week to do legs.

LT

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for the responses especially pumpster, and dylan_dent for putting the links on here. The Power Rack looks like the best equipment to get for me. Also buying this stuff used (Craigslist) might be a good idea before I spend like $2,000.00. I probably won't look at it but what are your opinions on the BOWFLEX? Is it something a real BB can use?

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:42:26 PM »
bowflex = waste of money

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 11:03:09 PM »
bowflex = waste of money
Absurd; obviously has very little experience with it. I'll bet he's still angry that he wasn't able to use it's max. resistance for upper body exercises. ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 11:03:51 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for the responses especially pumpster, and dylan_dent for putting the links on here. The Power Rack looks like the best equipment to get for me. Also buying this stuff used (Craigslist) might be a good idea before I spend like $2,000.00. I probably won't look at it but what are your opinions on the BOWFLEX? Is it something a real BB can use?

LT's a new account I see, who clearly has a specific interest in BOWFLEX. What are your impressions so far? Feel free to share plenty of details as to why it interests you. :D

LT

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 11:42:15 PM »
LT's a new account I see, who clearly has a specific interest in BOWFLEX. What are your impressions so far? Feel free to share plenty of details as to why it interests you and your experiences with it. :D
The only reason why the BOWFLEX interests me is because of it's size (doesn't take up much space) and it covers all the workouts. I don't know if the BOWFLEX really works for real BB. I think I'm going to go with the Power Rack, dumbbells, bench when the time comes.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
The only reason why the BOWFLEX interests me is because of it's size (doesn't take up much space) and it covers all the workouts. I don't know if the BOWFLEX really works for real BB. I think I'm going to go with the Power Rack, dumbbells, bench when the time comes.

According to gh15, one of the most knowledgeable accounts on getbig and probably a bodybuilding pro, a Bowflex & a pair of adjustable dumbbells is great. I agree with him. The only constraint with a Bowflex is when you get to over 410 lb. in lifts. However, 3rd party bands could be added to increase the resistance further. Other than that, I think it's comparable to any of the other options, and is safer as well as smaller. Exactly why i included it in my list. Also, they sell for low used prices on craiglist.org. The better model is the Ultimate-lots of exercise options, and built well, similar to gym equipment.

For small size, it or an adjustable bench with some dumbbells are the best. The bench and DBs wouldn't allow exercises the Bow would though, like standard squats and leg presses for example.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »
I wonder if The Pumpster would kindly send  photo's of him using his BowFlex, as the main source of his BB'ing program. It would help a lot of guy's here to see why The Pumpster believes in the BowFlex so highly. And see how he gets  his own max muscle development results. Good luck.

F

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 07:41:09 AM »
GH15s posts rock, wish he'd slap up more.
I wouldn't take his opinion lightly. Real is Real.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 08:27:11 AM »
....I'll bet he's still angry that he wasn't able to use it's max. resistance for upper body exercises. ;D
;D

Mick33

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:24 AM »
I just bought the BodySolid Bench, w/ Smith machine, 14 safety catches for bench and squats, and two heavy duty safetys that can take a beating, ulitmately giving you a "rack", because it has all the same benefits. Plus a cable pulldown, lat attachment, 400lbs. olympic bar, preacher attach., leg ext. attach., and also a few heavy duty mats for the floor.
Go talk to the Blockhead on here, just look him up in members and send him a pm. He helped me out when I was looking and he steered me in the right direction. BodySolid is not crazy expensive, but the best part is EVERYTHING has a lifetime warranty, and if anything breaks, they replace it no questions asked. Plus I have given the safetys some beatings cause I workout by myself every week and they show no signs of wear and tear. Also when I was researching ( I hunted for 4 months for what I was looking for) I noticed almost all of the home gyms had max weight loads of 800lbs., BodySolid has a max of 2,000 lbs!!!!!!!! I am totally happy, contact The Blockhead, he'll take care of ya., just tell him Mick sent you. ;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
I just bought the BodySolid Bench, w/ Smith machine, 14 safety catches for bench and squats, and two heavy duty safetys that can take a beating, ulitmately giving you a "rack", because it has all the same benefits. Plus a cable pulldown, lat attachment, 400lbs. olympic bar, preacher attach., leg ext. attach., and also a few heavy duty mats for the floor.
Go talk to the Blockhead on here, just look him up in members and send him a pm. He helped me out when I was looking and he steered me in the right direction. BodySolid is not crazy expensive, but the best part is EVERYTHING has a lifetime warranty, and if anything breaks, they replace it no questions asked. Plus I have given the safetys some beatings cause I workout by myself every week and they show no signs of wear and tear. Also when I was researching ( I hunted for 4 months for what I was looking for) I noticed almost all of the home gyms had max weight loads of 800lbs., BodySolid has a max of 2,000 lbs!!!!!!!! I am totally happy, contact The Blockhead, he'll take care of ya., just tell him Mick sent you. ;)

Bodysolid's top quality, similar to gym equipment. Powertec's stuff is similar in feel and built to last, with the quality slightly lower in terms of machining and tolerances, thus the shorter warranty and generally lower prices.

Both excellent at providing a gym workout at home. The advantage in looking at both company's equipment is that each makes different pieces, with some overlap. For example, Powertec makes some plate-loaded stations that Body Solid doesn't, and/or the price is lower. In each case it's  better to try each out first, to see the difference in feel, size, etc.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
I loved working out at home back in the day , have a meal cooking while your own music is blearing , no travel time and to be honest id train more and more consistently

would look at it again when i have a bigger home

but like people have said the problems are variety which means you have to buy more than just a bench and rack and legs/calves

i cant do squats and deads cos of my back and nothing seems to beat leg curl/extn and leg press

lunges and one leg squats with db's just dont seem to cut it to a leg press

also doing calves effectivly i found quite a mission compared to using the seated calf machine at the gym

i think its only worth it if u can buy alot of equipment including dumbbells , if so then youd be set for life and itd probably be a saving overall minus the travel and gym costs.