Author Topic: Could Gore's road to the Oval Office begin in Hollywood?  (Read 3669 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Could Gore's road to the Oval Office begin in Hollywood?
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:16:30 AM »
Now this would be funny.   :)  You'd think this loser learned his lesson.  Now watch him become a Democrat frontrunner . . . .

Could Gore's road to the Oval Office begin in Hollywood?
POSTED: 9:41 p.m. EST, February 23, 2007

By Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- We've seen plenty of political moments at the Oscars before. But on Sunday, we could see the most unusual political moment ever.

Consider this scenario: It's Academy Awards night. Best documentary feature is up. And the Oscar is favored to go to . . . "An Inconvenient Truth," starring former Vice President Al Gore.

Lawrence Bender, producer of "An Inconvenient Truth," and the film's other producers come up to accept the Oscar -- with Gore. (Watch Bender explain while it might be Gore's time )

The audience roars its approval -- this is liberal Hollywood -- and Gore speaks.

"There's even some speculation that he would use his Oscar as the occasion to announce that he's running," Martin Kaplan, director of the University of Southern California's Norman Lear Center, told CNN. "Imagine that: a billion people worldwide! Take that Jay Leno, as an announcement venue!''

Could it happen? Gore's producer thinks a potential Gore speech would be a historic moment, but not the way Kaplan envisions.

"It's electrifying, not politically, because is Al Gore going to run or not going to run. There's nothing going to happen like that," Bender told CNN. "It's electrifying because the man who is responsible for solidifying the forces around global warming is going to'' be acknowldged.

But could an Oscar start the momentum for a draft-Gore movement? USC's Kaplan thinks it could.

"People think that he's paid his dues, he's had more of an impact on issues that people care about than many people who have been in office and there's a feeling that he's finally lost that student council condescension that was fingernails on a blackboard to a lot of supporters," Kaplan said.

Democrats are desperate to win. Doubts have begun to surface about the electability of the party's current front-runners. How's this for an argument? Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

"He was right on Iraq. He was right on global warming. He has an issue that is so formidable and has attacked it, tackled it," Bender said. "So I would love to see him run, sure, but I don't see that in the cards."

But once that envelope is opened, there will be a new card to play.

Maybe Mr. Gore will get up and say, "I have new song to sing." After all, the film has been nominated in the best song category, too.

http://us.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/23/schneider.gore/index.html

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Could Gore's road to the Oval Office begin in Hollywood?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 10:42:08 AM »
Worked for Reagan.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »
why is he a loser, beach bum?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:24:37 PM »
why is he a loser, beach bum?

Because despite serving as the two-time VP for a popular and successful president and facing one of the weakest and most inarticulate Republican candidates in decades who had a fraction of the Gore's experience, Gore lost his home state of Tennessee, which cost him the election.  If he wins Tennessee, he wins the election, regardless of what happens in Florida.  He's a loser.  Even Bill Clinton said so (though not quite so explicitly) after the election.  I recall he was very critical of Gore for basically blowing it. 

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:26:49 PM »
  But he had the popular vote won.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »
  But he had the popular vote won.

Which is precisely what one of my liberal partners said the other day when I made these comments to her.  Winning the popular vote and about $5 got him a cup of coffee, but not the presidency.   :)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:44:51 AM »
Which is precisely what one of my liberal partners said the other day when I made these comments to her.  Winning the popular vote and about $5 got him a cup of coffee, but not the presidency.   :)

Damn 5 bucks for coffee?  :-\ 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 12:47:15 AM »
Because despite serving as the two-time VP for a popular and successful president and facing one of the weakest and most inarticulate Republican candidates in decades who had a fraction of the Gore's experience, Gore lost his home state of Tennessee, which cost him the election.  If he wins Tennessee, he wins the election, regardless of what happens in Florida.  He's a loser.  Even Bill Clinton said so (though not quite so explicitly) after the election.  I recall he was very critical of Gore for basically blowing it. 

He's a millionaire, world famous, up for a major award for a movie he did for a great cause...

and he's a loser?

Um, what does that make you?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 01:03:10 AM »

This is true, but in my opinion he still won... The Electoral college should be abolished. I've never agreed with Presidents who win the popular vote but lose the electoral vote... It's happened 3 or 4 times now and it just seems wrong.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 01:39:31 AM »

You just displayed a poor understanding of national level politics.

What was Gore's #1 goal in 2000?  To win Tennessee?  Or to win the electoral majority?

Gore took positions on issues which about 50 million American voters agreed with.   This didn't go over well with the majority of Tennessee voters.  If he HAD focused on winning tennesee, I'm sure that was possible.  But his goal was winning the entire election. 

And I remember being a very alert voter in 2000.  I was dancing when harris stopped the ballot counting and gave the win to Bush.  The recounts obviously would have given it to Gore in the high democrat districts where the most uncounteds were.   I KNEW that prick Gore would get in, if they recounted.  I KNEW they f'king cheated.  And so do you.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 01:42:50 AM »
This is true, but in my opinion he still won... The Electoral college should be abolished. I've never agreed with Presidents who win the popular vote but lose the electoral vote... It's happened 3 or 4 times now and it just seems wrong.

they can't change it.  They sholdn't.  you have states like Cali or Ny with populations that outnumber many other states combined.

In theory, a guy could run on a ticket that says "I will send all the money and food to these top15 populated states".  He might get the majority by winning 15 of 50 states. 

Little states matter, and guys have to promise them resources too, to win.

Tesla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 07:03:45 AM »

And I remember being a very alert voter in 2000.  I was dancing when harris stopped the ballot counting and gave the win to Bush.  The recounts obviously would have given it to Gore in the high democrat districts where the most uncounteds were.   I KNEW that prick Gore would get in, if they recounted.  I KNEW they f'king cheated.  And so do you.

Actually a consortium of newspapers and other media organizations did a number of recount scenarios (well after the election was done).  There was no scenario for which Gore could've won, though it was pretty close. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
Actually a consortium of newspapers and other media organizations did a number of recount scenarios (well after the election was done).  There was no scenario for which Gore could've won, though it was pretty close. 

I would love to see more about this.  Link?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 09:05:48 AM »
They also played out the real scenario LIVE, before the "re-count scenarios"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 09:28:11 AM »
He's a millionaire, world famous, up for a major award for a movie he did for a great cause...

and he's a loser?

Um, what does that make you?

Precisely why I don't answer the vast majority of your dumb questions.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 09:30:46 AM »
You just displayed a poor understanding of national level politics.

What was Gore's #1 goal in 2000?  To win Tennessee?  Or to win the electoral majority?

::)

lol.  His goal was to win more electoral votes than Bush so he could be president.  If he wins his HOME state of Tennessee he wins the presidency.  But because he is a loser, he lost his home state and the election.  I know it stings, with you being a liberal and all, but maybe you'll get a chance to vote for him in 08, instead of Hillary. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

lol.  His goal was to win more electoral votes than Bush so he could be president.  If he wins his HOME state of Tennessee he wins the presidency.  But because he is a loser, he lost his home state and the election.  I know it stings, with you being a liberal and all, but maybe you'll get a chance to vote for him in 08, instead of Hillary. 

But if the votes were actually counted, and he won Florida, ...he won the presidency without Tennessee.

Does anyone who actually read the Supreme Court decision actually say they thought it was a good one?

I remember die-hard Republicans being shocked into silence over that one.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »
they can't change it.  They sholdn't.  you have states like Cali or Ny with populations that outnumber many other states combined.

In theory, a guy could run on a ticket that says "I will send all the money and food to these top15 populated states".  He might get the majority by winning 15 of 50 states. 

Little states matter, and guys have to promise them resources too, to win.

I disagree... This is a democracy... Democracy is about "Majority Rule"... That equates to total populace... The electoral college goes against everything that is right about Democracy.

The Electoral college is an antiquated system which was designed due to lack of information about the candidates in your more rural areas... In todays information age, the information is available to pretty much everyone.

Oh, and it was about Florida... Gore didn't need to win Tennessee, he needed to win Florida... and he should have... That's pretty much it. He's not the first person to win the popular and lose the electoral though... he's just the only one in my lifetime.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »
  I think MY vote should count as an electoral vote all by itself. :)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »

why such anamosity towards al gore?

Tesla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 04:26:17 PM »
I would love to see more about this.  Link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_election_recount

"The recount also showed that the only way that Al Gore could have tallied more votes was by using counting methods that were never requested"

So there were some counting methods where Gore could've conceivably won but none that he actually wanted the courts to make happen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »
I disagree... This is a democracy... Democracy is about "Majority Rule"... That equates to total populace... The electoral college goes against everything that is right about Democracy.

The Electoral college is an antiquated system which was designed due to lack of information about the candidates in your more rural areas... In todays information age, the information is available to pretty much everyone.

Oh, and it was about Florida... Gore didn't need to win Tennessee, he needed to win Florida... and he should have... That's pretty much it. He's not the first person to win the popular and lose the electoral though... he's just the only one in my lifetime.

Tu what you're advocating is a pure democracy, which we don't have.  I think the electoral college is consistent with our representative form of government.  We elect leaders who pass laws supposedly on behalf of what the public wants.  The public doesn't decide most of the issues, with constitutional amendments and certain initiatives being the exception. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
why such anamosity towards al gore?

I don't have any animosity towards Gore.  I was just explaining why I think he's a loser.  He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  Losers do that.   :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 10:30:18 AM »
I don't have any animosity towards Gore.  I was just explaining why I think he's a loser.  He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  Losers do that.   :)

I think in the years to come, ...this statement will be revised considerably to reflect a more accurate appraisal of what happened.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:05 AM »
I think in the years to come, ...this statement will be revised considerably to reflect a more accurate appraisal of what happened.

You mean we will learn that Gore actually won his home state?   :)  It has been seven-plus years already.  I think we already know what happened in Tennessee.