Author Topic: NASH-The BEAST UNLEASHED@WPA Worlds 11.03.07  (Read 20216 times)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
NASH-The BEAST UNLEASHED@WPA Worlds 11.03.07
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:43:29 PM »
I was out riding my motorcycle over the weekend, thinking about my training goals and it hit me. A voice in my head said:
Voice (V): Life is to short kid, you need to retire.
Troy (T): What you are you talking about? We’ve got one more MEET.
V: Not we – you.
T: why you doing this?
V: Because you can’t hit the numbers you want at that MEET! Hell, the squat attempts needed would kill you inside three attempts.
T: Your crazy…
V: What else is new?
T: There just another set of numbers.
V: NO IT’S NOT JUST ANOTHER SET OF NUMBERS. Those numbers are a wrecking machine. The person to hit those would have to be HUNGRY and you ain’t been hungry since the Holiday Classic.
T: What are you talking about?
V: The worst thing that happened to you that could have happened to any Powerlifter…you got civilized. Started watching your weight….geez. Listen, Presidents retire, Generals retire, Horses retire, Man of War was put out to stud. Think about it.
T: I can’t retire. I want this MEET, just one more. I’m asking you to train me one last time.
V: NO…we don’t need it…I’m through kid.

I spent Monday and Tuesday thinking of what and how to do it. The decision was made to sleep on it. During the night I started dreaming about working out heavy and imagining myself deadlifting. Then it happened again, but this time…it was a different voice.

Nash (N): THAT’S NOT THE WAY TO DO IT, PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!
T: Who’s that? Nash? What are you doing here?
N: Business
T: What business?
N: You need to let me train you.
T: Why you?
N: I don’t think you can pull it off without me.
T: If people knew we were talking like this they would think we were crazy… what’s the real reason?
N: Do you hear that?...............It’s to quit in here. When you retire it’s to quit, besides, I’m to young to retire.
T: Yea, but…why do I need you?
N: You’ve lost your edge. When we trained together you had the EYE OF THE TIGER, the edge. And now we’ve got to get that back and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. Do you know what I mean? Haha, maybe we can hit those numbers together. EYE OF THE TIGER man.
T: Why’d you come here?
N: I’ve got a plan, to get it all back.
T: You’ve got me curious.
N: You’ve got us all curious inside here.

Today is now Wednesday. The following discussion takes place as I arrive at the gym.

T: What the hell are we doing here?
N: This is like the place we first started.
T: So – that’s your problem.
N: So this is the place where we get it back.
T: Let’s leave before they leave us for dead. This place is disgusting, why don’t we train some place else?
N: Look, I think your missing the point. Let’s sign up and get stated.
T: In my opinion we don’t need this place, it’s below our standards.
N: Let’s give it a try?
T: I don’t even got a gun?! Look at this place, even the rats have more pride than to be caught dead here, I mean…LOOK AT THE DUMPER!

As I go inside and see the regulars sizing me up nash says:
N: See that look in their eyes? Gotta get that look back…EYE OF THE TIGER, come on – come on – let’s go. We’ve been living modern but now were gonna train old.

THE BAR IS LOADED….

And so it begins: EYE OF THE TIGER – Fear & Pain

When I was in high school our first weight room was in the original boys locker room in the gym. Very small. They had built a new Football locker room & coaches office just off from the gym connected by a covered breeze way and that is where male students changed for gym class. My sophomore year the school built a free standing weight room. 30x40 concrete floors with a ten foot ceiling. Once completed students could take "weight lifting" as an elective. We did not have Heat or AC until the END of my Senior year. I was a player so they made sure my class was last period.
The HARDCORE GYM I'm going to now reminds me so much of the one's in high school. No heat, no air. All the weights are old (some older than me). The weight trees are unorganized, dust bunnies on the window ledges and yes.......chalk on the floor. One of the benches needs some wielding done, I don't think I found a pair of the same 45's. I'll give it time but this sure fells like home.

BENCH
Rotator therapy: a little

Bench
3x30x bar
3x10x135
3x5x185
3x5x225
2x3x275
1x3x315
1x2x315
2x1x315
sept 10th APF

SL-Dubbs

• Getbig V
Re: EYE OF THE TIGER - Fear & Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »
Nash, you're a fucking maniac

but i like ya

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 05:37:12 AM »
HAHAHA great story, you shouldnt write those things down tho man, some one will read it and use it in a holloywood movie script, probably about a young lifter....or fighter, whos lost the edge, and has to train with an old nemisis in order to recindle the fire within.

Maybe not lol.

Aweosnme buddy, hows training. u still watching the scale, or has that gone out the window?!

Gym sounds awesome, i train at a sports centre gym (some people reading while on bikes etc), i just sit in the free weight section alone lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:38:55 AM »
body weight is down to 260lbs. Training intensity will increase this month but the goal is still to get down under 250 and then build back up with less body fat and more lean POWERFULL muscle.

The gym is a pit, much like the one you see in Ronnie's video's (former Mr. O)

Do you really think it would be a good movie script? LOL, Could I play myself?LOL.

sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:02:52 PM »
SQUAT NIGHT - ALL SETS WALKED OUT
3x5x225 warmup
3x5x315 from here on - all sets went deep
3x5x405 added belt here
2x3x495 always add knee wraps here
1x5x495
2x3x585
sept 10th APF

The Heckler

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
I was out riding my motorcycle over the weekend, thinking about my training goals and it hit me. A voice in my head said:
Voice (V): Life is to short kid, you need to retire.
Troy (T): What you are you talking about? We’ve got one more MEET.
V: Not we – you.
T: why you doing this?
V: Because you can’t hit the numbers you want at that MEET! Hell, the squat attempts needed would kill you inside three attempts.
T: Your crazy…
V: What else is new?
T: There just another set of numbers.
V: NO IT’S NOT JUST ANOTHER SET OF NUMBERS. Those numbers are a wrecking machine. The person to hit those would have to be HUNGRY and you ain’t been hungry since the Holiday Classic.
T: What are you talking about?
V: The worst thing that happened to you that could have happened to any Powerlifter…you got civilized. Started watching your weight….geez. Listen, Presidents retire, Generals retire, Horses retire, Man of War was put out to stud. Think about it.
T: I can’t retire. I want this MEET, just one more. I’m asking you to train me one last time.
V: NO…we don’t need it…I’m through kid.

I spent Monday and Tuesday thinking of what and how to do it. The decision was made to sleep on it. During the night I started dreaming about working out heavy and imagining myself deadlifting. Then it happened again, but this time…it was a different voice.

Nash (N): THAT’S NOT THE WAY TO DO IT, PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!
T: Who’s that? Nash? What are you doing here?
N: Business
T: What business?
N: You need to let me train you.
T: Why you?
N: I don’t think you can pull it off without me.
T: If people knew we were talking like this they would think we were crazy… what’s the real reason?
N: Do you hear that?...............It’s to quit in here. When you retire it’s to quit, besides, I’m to young to retire.
T: Yea, but…why do I need you?
N: You’ve lost your edge. When we trained together you had the EYE OF THE TIGER, the edge. And now we’ve got to get that back and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. Do you know what I mean? Haha, maybe we can hit those numbers together. EYE OF THE TIGER man.
T: Why’d you come here?
N: I’ve got a plan, to get it all back.
T: You’ve got me curious.
N: You’ve got us all curious inside here.

Today is now Wednesday. The following discussion takes place as I arrive at the gym.

T: What the hell are we doing here?
N: This is like the place we first started.
T: So – that’s your problem.
N: So this is the place where we get it back.
T: Let’s leave before they leave us for dead. This place is disgusting, why don’t we train some place else?
N: Look, I think your missing the point. Let’s sign up and get stated.
T: In my opinion we don’t need this place, it’s below our standards.
N: Let’s give it a try?
T: I don’t even got a gun?! Look at this place, even the rats have more pride than to be caught dead here, I mean…LOOK AT THE DUMPER!

As I go inside and see the regulars sizing me up nash says:
N: See that look in their eyes? Gotta get that look back…EYE OF THE TIGER, come on – come on – let’s go. We’ve been living modern but now were gonna train old.

THE BAR IS LOADED….

And so it begins: EYE OF THE TIGER – Fear & Pain

When I was in high school our first weight room was in the original boys locker room in the gym. Very small. They had built a new Football locker room & coaches office just off from the gym connected by a covered breeze way and that is where male students changed for gym class. My sophomore year the school built a free standing weight room. 30x40 concrete floors with a ten foot ceiling. Once completed students could take "weight lifting" as an elective. We did not have Heat or AC until the END of my Senior year. I was a player so they made sure my class was last period.
The HARDCORE GYM I'm going to now reminds me so much of the one's in high school. No heat, no air. All the weights are old (some older than me). The weight trees are unorganized, dust bunnies on the window ledges and yes.......chalk on the floor. One of the benches needs some wielding done, I don't think I found a pair of the same 45's. I'll give it time but this sure fells like home.

BENCH

Bench
3x30x bar
3x10x135
3x5x185
3x5x225
2x3x275
1x3x315
1x2x315
2x1x315

hahah meltdown

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 12:14:12 PM »
yesterday was such a blur. We had HALFTON (Andy Painter) rupture his Quad tendon in BOTH legs at the knees. The 850lbs bar cut through the spotters (I was one of them) like a hot knife through cold butter.
When HALFTON's tendon's blew it all came down like a building demolition. Chris Liles was the back spotter and literally caught the bar in his elbows and stomach, which paused the bar for a split second. Carl Stanly and I were on HALFTON's right side. We slowed the bar for a fraction of a second but thank God HALFTON went forward and got his arms out from around the bar falling forward. Carl & I were not able to stop and hold the weight but we were able to slant the falling bar toward the back of the platform. Steven Moore and a guy named Andy were spotting on HALFTON's left side. I have not seen the video (Dale275 has the video) but from what I noticed They really saved HALFTON. When the tendons blew I think HALFTON's left knee hit the ground first. Due to Chris, Carl & I, our side was a little higher than Steven's and Andy's. HALFTON got his right arm out from the bar first and thanks to Steven and Andy they shifted the weight back off of HALFTON enough so he could free his left arm and fall forward. Imagine that instead of the bar falling straight down we were able to make it go /H at that angle, with HALFTON being the H.
This reminded me of the injury Ed Coan had at the Mountainer Cup a while back. When his knee blew he shot out from under that bar like a grape. His spotters could not catch the bar either. If a lifter gets out of the groove but stays with the bar then the spotters have a better chance of HELPING the lifter rack the weight (which happend plenty of times yesterday). But when an injury happens and the lifter is unable to assist in any way the spotters MUST do whatever they can to shift the decent of the bar so it does not pen the lifter in an acquired position. Now, more than ever, I trust Chris, Steven, Carl & the other Andy on the platform with my life. Because when you are a spotter you are there to save lives.
sept 10th APF

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 01:12:51 AM »
Thats terrible mate,whats the time frame for recovery on an injury like that?

Well done for u guys spotting so well, could have been alot worse!!

davie

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 05:48:04 PM »
Rotator Therapy: a little

SQUAT
3x10x225
2x5x315
2x5x405
2x3x495 - I was saving myself to go heavy tonight.
1x2x585 - went for a third but the mats under my feet slipped and I went down backwards, THE GUY caught me but the padding skated out from under my feet. It was like skating on ice. 

0x585 - reset the bar and the mats. The mats moved again on the walk out so I said "Forget about it - let's rack it.  I wanted to do 3x3x585 tonight! 

THE GUY suggested we get some carpet to put one the floor in the rack.
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
Deads over at Kate's gym this past Sunday.

DEADS - no belt today
4x1x225 sumo hook grip
3x1x225 conv alt grip
2x3x225
2x1x315
2x3x315
2x1x405
2x3x405
1x475
2x3x475

TUESDAY NIGHT

SUPERSET
Lat pulldowns............... ..... / seated cable row
4x10x120-200 wide grip .../ 10x10x120-200
3x10x80-120 under hand chinup style grip - careful due to right bicep
3x10x 120-200 V handle grip

Couple sets of light deadlifts
5x3-10x135

T-BAR ROWS
3x10x4plates

I love the T-Bar row, it will be a favorite movement.
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
BEST TRAINING DAY IN WEEKS!! 

FLAT BENCH
2x5x135
1x10x135
2x5x185
2x5x225
2x3x275
3x3x315

DECLINE BENCH - going to start doing these every other week
2x5x135
3x10x225
2x10x275
3x5x315

T-BAR ROW
2x10x200

DUMBBELL OVERHEAD PRESS
4x10x30

3 WAY DUMBBELL RAISE (front/side/rear)
3x10x20 each way

TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS
6X10-20X80-120
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »
Tom Selleck had a baseball movie back in the 90's, I think it was called "Mr. Baseball" or was it "The Yankee"?  It was a story of how an aging MLB players production was low and his salary demand was so high that no MLB team would sign him to a contract, so his agent talks him into playing a year in Japan to boost his stats. His new manager makes him run the bases and run sprints. Days are long with ground ball after ground ball practice, throwing and catching, situps, pushups, running, etc. Finally one day during practice Tom says, "I'm tired of all this stuff, WHEN CAN I HIT THE BALL!?" The manager says, "That's what I've been waiting for".

THAT'S WHERE I AM AT!

SQUATS
4x5x225
3x5x315
2x3x405
2x3x495
2x1x585
1x3x585

I finally feel mentally ready to start going heavy again. Although I must lose 10 more pounds before I will start the climb up the face of  "The Mountain".

sept 10th APF

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 12:56:35 PM »
What kinda bike you got nash?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 02:39:22 PM »
My "bike" is a HUFFY, LOL. The Motorcycle is a Suzuki Intruder 800, looks like a poor mans Harley.
sept 10th APF

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 03:51:33 PM »
My "bike" is a HUFFY, LOL. The Motorcycle is a Suzuki Intruder 800, looks like a poor mans Harley.

I agree.  I like intruders.  I am still kicking myself for letting a chance to get a really nice 1400 slide by a couple of years back.   

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like my ride. But, I too am kicking myself for not getting the BIGGER model when I had the chance. I will NOT make the same mistake next time.

May the Sun always be at your side and the bugs miss your face.

Explanation: If the sun is always in front of you then your eyes will get tired from the glare, if the sun is always behind you then on comming traffic will lose you in the glare. If the sun is beside you then everyone can see you. The bugs are a no brainer.
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 05:15:01 PM »

SUPERSET: LAT PULLDOWN / SEATED CABLE ROW
4x8x120-180 wide handle grip / 5x8x140-200 wide handle grip
3x8x100-120 underhand chin up grip / 5x8x160-200 V handle grip
3x8x150-180 V handle grip

Concentration preacher curls
3x10x20
3x10x25

Alt. dumbbell curls
2x10x30

Today was more of a blood flow day. The back feels GREAT.
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »
Worked with Mike & Shannon tonight on their deadlift. Last week we  did conventional so this week I had them try Sumo. I'm gonna have THE Guy work with them next time on sumo since he pulls sumo. I need to watch Kate or DALE275 pull so I get a better idea of the form and technique.

Rotator therapy: a little, more like maintenance.

BENCH
2x10x135
2x5x185
2x5x225
2x3x275
1x295
1x315
2x20x135

DUMBBELL OVER HEAD PRESS
2x10x30
2x10x35

TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS
A bunch of sets and reps of varying weight, I stopped when I thought my arms were going to explode.
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
Tonight was easily THE BEST squatting night I've had in MONTHS! It all started yesterday with making sure the body was taking in 20oz of water every 2hrs. Omega-3's, joint health stuff, BCAA's, real good quality whole food. Last night the body had 9hrs of sleep and continued today with water, supplements and food. Mentally prepared for tonights session as soon as the workout from Tuesday was over. The Mind has been ready and wanting, only it was waiting for the body to catch up. Well, tonight the body showed up and we finally hit a training goal.
I felt so good tonight I didn't want it to end, but had to due to working tomorrow. Gotta climb a ladder all day. (Oops, let out the secret to my squatting success)

Rotator therapy: maintenance

Body squats: 3x20

SQUAT - wore belt on every set
3X5X235
2X5X325
2X5X415
1X3X505 - started wrapping knees on this set
**3X3X595** This has eluded me for the last few weeks, GOT IT NOW!

3x10x225
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »
SUNDAY  SUNDAY 

DEADS at Kate's (set x rep x weight)

2-3x1-3x225
1x1x315
1x3x315
2x2x405
2x1x495 this was heavy so I didn't go higher
2x5x495 I was pissed about not going higher so decided to go further
1x12x405 needed the cardio

IT IS TIME TO REBUILD THE SQUAT & DEAD
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »
BRUTAL MONDAY

T-BAR ROW
3x10x2plates
4x10x3plates

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWN
10X6-10X120-180

CHINUP UNDER HAND GRIP LAT P.DOWN
4X10X80

V-HANDLE L.P.DOWN
4X10X150

3 WAY SHOULDER RAISE
4X10X20

OVER HEAD BARBELL PRESS
2X10XBAR
2X10X65
2X10X85
2X10X105
4X10X135

Some biceps work
couple of this and that
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 08:08:47 PM »

Poly-metrics
Platform step up/run up 3sets of 2min (3x2min)
Platform jump up 12" 3sets of 2min (3x2min)

DECLINE BARBELL PRESS
2x10x135
2x10x185
2x10x225
2x6x275
1x10x315

HIGH CABLE FLY'S
4x10

LOW CABLE FLY'S
4x10

TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS
10x8-10x Heavy weight

BICEPS CURLS
6x10x A little of this and that

STANDING CALF RAISE
6x20x body weight (not as much as it used to be)

Over the last few weeks my training has been leaning more toward a PL routine and not so much one of high reps with moderate weight and cardio. Over that same period of time my body-weight has remained the same at 260lbs. I am so very much mentally ready to start heavy training, but I must first complete my original goal of dropping down to 245lbs.
This goal will be reached by June 1st 2007, for on that date - NASHamania and all the little NASHamaniacs will start to run wild in preparation for Sept 22ND! Now, can you dig DAT...SUCKAAAAAA!!??
sept 10th APF

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 12:50:23 AM »
What numbers u hopeing to be throwing about in september??

davie

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 09:59:06 AM »
Squat 1,000+
Bench 600+
Dead 750+
Total over 2400

Those are the goals. The closer to the MEET date the better I'll know what is possible.
sept 10th APF

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »
THURSDAY NIGHT

ARRIVE
RAISE HELL
LEAVE

SQUATS
4x5x235
3x5x325
6x3x425
3x10x325
sept 10th APF