Author Topic: Drop sets for calves are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2609 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
feel free to discuss.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
Re: Drop sets for calves are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »
Ive been doing 20 rep sets for my calves lately and they ve exploded! Its 1 of those muscles that i find works better with very high reps, same with traps, seem to respond better with very high reps

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
Ive been doing 20 rep sets for my calves lately and they ve exploded! Its 1 of those muscles that i find works better with very high reps, same with traps, seem to respond better with very high reps
i agree, sometimes i put one 45 pound plate on the seated calf and try my hardest to get to 100 reps, usually i get around 50 on my first go around, then i rack it, count to five and keep going till i hit 100.

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:35:58 PM »
interesting.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
i agree, sometimes i put one 45 pound plate on the seated calf and try my hardest to get to 100 reps, usually i get around 50 on my first go around, then i rack it, count to five and keep going till i hit 100.

are you getting results from this???? did you used low reps and more weight before???
!

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:58:05 AM »
The calves are one of the more difficult muscles to stimulate. Some people don't train them and have kind of mellons on the back, others tried every method that exist and still have no result.

For me ropejumping does the trick. Other methods failed. Very heavy, reps, singlelegged.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 07:32:38 AM »
I cant get them any bigger using drop sets.  for me heavy weights and low reps seems to work better.  I think what works, differs between people more than any other muscle group which makes experimenting important.
It hasn't helped...

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 09:00:24 PM »
How many sets we talking? I remember a guy at my gym back in England who would go for an hour just doing calves because he was a hardcore marathoner. Scrawny, wiriest guy imagineable, but unbelievably strong for his 6' 135 pound self. I've never really trained calves particularly intensely, always with the thought process that as long as they weren't lagging too badly I could fall into that trap of always wearing long pants. Anyways, anecdote aside, recently I've been trying to step it up, so higher reps, but how many sets and exercises would be best?

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »
The Nautilis calf machine for the gastrocnemius is unbelievable.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:53:22 AM »
calves are a small muscle group (very small for most of you by the sounds of it)...they can be trained quite frequently

you have to alternate your workouts...high reps will give you temporary blood volume and you can walk past the treadmill girls on tip toes like all the other fagels

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »

Careful SF, don't let Milos see you posted stuff like this! All you're doing is a different form of what Milos does to achieve deep fiber exhaustion. Long story short, there are numerous ways to get to the goal. Drop sets, giant sets, supersets, and all the other set extenders have one thing and one goal......to fatigue all or as many muscle fibers as possible. Each is just a different way to get there.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 04:03:31 AM »
That's plain belony,

doing extreme high reps doesn't exhaust 'deeper fibers' , you just target a different type of musclefiber.
Somebody who's doing marathons can do high reps with ease cause he has got more of them. Somebody who focuses mainly on short range of reps will have more trouble doing them simple cause the fiber isn't trained.

An example are the famous push-ups. Somebody who's used doing can perform with ease highreps. Ask every soldier, marine, boxer.
I can't believe a person like Milos is actually proclaiming this kind of belony.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 04:49:32 PM »
That's plain belony,

doing extreme high reps doesn't exhaust 'deeper fibers' , you just target a different type of musclefiber.
Somebody who's doing marathons can do high reps with ease cause he has got more of them. Somebody who focuses mainly on short range of reps will have more trouble doing them simple cause the fiber isn't trained.

An example are the famous push-ups. Somebody who's used doing can perform with ease highreps. Ask every soldier, marine, boxer.
I can't believe a person like Milos is actually proclaiming this kind of belony.

You really don't know it. From the training aspect, the concept of Milos' training, or the spelling of baloney.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »
The calves are one of the more difficult muscles to stimulate. Some people don't train them and have kind of mellons on the back, others tried every method that exist and still have no result.

For me ropejumping does the trick. Other methods failed. Very heavy, reps, singlelegged.

Sprinting stairs worked best for me.  But I also played Soccer and rode mountain bikes for a very long time so they were already in good shape from that.  And at the gym i'll just max out the machine and do 3 sets of 20.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »
Squad,

Intending to go 100 reps and hittin 50 is awesome.  I've done it, and I keep it as my secret to ripped, huge calves.  Few can handle it though. 

Most are all show no go!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 02:45:13 AM »
Squad,

Intending to go 100 reps and hittin 50 is awesome.  I've done it, and I keep it as my secret to ripped, huge calves.  Few can handle it though. 

You just told us your secret lol.

ONly messing mate, sounds hard. Iv been doing the 12 rep+ sets. pick a weight, then fast positive part of rep, 5 second negative then 15 second hold in stretch position, then repeat until u cant get any more (followed by about 30 partials), once u get at least 12 u up weight next time.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

dontknowit

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
You really don't know it. From the training aspect, the concept of Milos' training, or the spelling of baloney.
Concept ???

Has he discovered some new type of musclefibers and made up a new routine to target those fibers?
I don't think so.

It's a classical mistake. BB tend to train type II fibers and neglect type I. Ask a regular BB to run 8 miles or swim or row for 15 minutes straight. Impossible cause they haven't trained them. Another factor to keep in track, type II is also divided in two types, IIA and IIB. Nothing new under the horizon.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 01:23:12 PM »
Now he has a problem with comprehension.

com·pre·hen·sion Pronunciation (kmpr-hnshn)
n.
a. The act or fact of grasping the meaning, nature, or importance of; understanding.
b. The knowledge that is acquired in this way.
2. Capacity to include.
3. Logic The sum of meanings and corresponding implications inherent in a term.

Where did I mention new fibers? You're the one that mentioned that. Understand the concept that Milos is aiming for, and you'll comprehend the two prior posts I made. Till then, get yourself a dictionary, and listen to TV. Your spelling and sayings are atrocious! It's "Keep in mind", not "keep in track." ::)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
I've been doing "DoggCrapp" style rest pause training with my calves and they ache for days after every workout.

Standing Calf Raise: 20 reps/failure - rest 15 sec - 8-12 reps/failure - rest 15 sec - 6-8 reps/failure...

Rest 2 minutes.

Seated Calf Raise: 20 reps/failure - rest 15 sec - 8-12 reps/failure - rest 15 sec - 6-8 reps/failure...

I can't barely push the clutch down after this!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 03:35:00 AM »
Pretty sure DC calf training involves performing a rep then 5 second negative then 15 second stretch then repeat, try and get 12+ reps, if u can then u up the weight. One all out set.

davie

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 07:18:50 AM »
I'm not saying I use the DoggCrapp Calf Training, I said "DoggCrapp Style", basically meaning "Rest-Pause" training.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »
I'm not saying I use the DoggCrapp Calf Training, I said "DoggCrapp Style", basically meaning "Rest-Pause" training.

Kul kul, and hey, if it works stick with it!!

davie