Author Topic: Randy Moss to the Patriots viable  (Read 6600 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Randy Moss to the Patriots viable
« on: March 06, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
Pats show interest in dealing for Moss

Monday, March 5, 2007

On the surface, Randy Moss doesn’t seem like a Patriots [team stats] kind of player. He often plays at half-speed and has quit on more than one team.

But Moss is supremely talented, and he’s got something else working in his favor - Bill Belichick apparently loves him.

League sources last night indicated the Patriots coach has long been enamored with the Raiders wide receiver and would welcome the opportunity to bring him to Foxboro for the right price.

Moss is on the block after two disappointing seasons in Oakland. The Raiders have worked on a deal that would send the mercurial wide receiver to Green Bay, with the Packers offering quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Raiders holding out for a first-round pick, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The Packers don’t seem in much of a rush to pull the trigger, however, which has left an opening for the Pats. A source said Belichick believes he could motivate Moss to play and that he’d have the locker room support system to back him up, thanks to high-character veterans like Tom Brady [stats], Richard Seymour [stats] and Rodney Harrison [stats], among others.

For proof, look no further than Corey Dillon [stats], who arrived in New England with a rap sheet far longer and more serious than Moss’ and yet proved to be a good soldier for virtually his entire tenure with the team.

Moss has traditionally responded better and played harder when surrounded by players he respects, like Cris Carter and Daunte Culpepper in Minnesota.

Word out of Oakland is the 30-year-old wants to play on a contender before his career ends. The Raiders are intent on moving him following a miserable 2006 that saw him post career-worst numbers in receptions (42), yards (553), and touchdowns (three).

“Moss quit on us last year,” a Raiders employee told the Journal Sentinel. “My feeling is he wants to go someplace where they can win. He knows he only has X number of years left and he’s never, ever won at any level.”

Moss clearly represents a gamble. He loafed through much of his tenure in Oakland and experienced his share of disciplinary issues, from possession of marijuana to pretending to moon the crowd at Lambeau Field. His most serious scrape came in 2002 when he tried to make an illegal turn and grazed a traffic cop with his car. He spent a night in jail and was ultimately charged with careless driving.

As twisted as this sounds, those transgressions are relatively minor in an NFL that includes Titans troublemaker Pacman Jones and the majority of the Cincinnati Bengals roster. The Patriots believe they can keep Moss in line, if given the chance.

One issue would be convincing Moss to restructure a contract that calls for $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. The Pats also need to strike a deal with what is considered a rudderless ship in Oakland, thanks to owner Al Davis and a depleted front office.

That’s a lot to overcome, but at the very least, color the Patriots intrigued.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=186637

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Randy Moss to the Patriots viable
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
Patriots are not screwing around this offseason, huh?

Moss is the perfect example of a high risk/high reward pro athlete.

Body88.......Your take?

body88

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »
It is a rumor. They offered Stallworth a deal 11.5 million gaurenteed over 6 years. Which is a good deal. Clayton just shot this rumor down on espn. They had 29 million in cap space this offseason. They will fill immidiate needs in free agency, then build depth in the draft. They have 10 picks ( including 2 first rounders) this year. They have about 12 million in cap space left. They always leave a chunk and never spend up to the cap, so I think the Stallworth deal is the last of things before the draft. Brewski and Brown are set to retire. I am pleased with there moves this far..... Look for the emerging TE Dave Thomas (out of Texas) next year. He played behind Watson and has very good hands. Made some spectacular catches last year. He is my future avatar picture next year! Unless I bring back Maroney.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
moss would be a hell of an addition

body88

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »
moss would be a hell of an addition

They offered Stallworth a deal. He had said that NE was his first choice. I believe the deal is 6 years with 11 mill in guaranteed money. I would much rather have him. I hate Moss.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:09:46 PM »
Moss might work, with NE's coaches. In which case he'd probably be better than he's been previously. Definitely worth the challenge if the price isn't exhorbitant.

body88

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
Moss might work, with NE's coaches. In which case he'd probably be better than he's been previously. Definetely worth the challenge if the price isn't exhorbitant.

It would have to be for a deal and a half. Most say it wont happen... I hope they are right.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »

They offered Stallworth a deal. He had said that NE was his first choice. I believe the deal is 6 years with 11 mill in guaranteed money. I would much rather have him. I hate Moss.
fuck dude take both ;D

body88

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:54:03 PM »
fuck dude take both ;D

I hope not. I do not like Moss. Chad Jackson missed pretty much the entire preseason as a rookie. He never got the chace to learn the system, hence him not playing much. Look for him to make waves next year. 

They have a few first rounders this year, we shall see.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:57 PM »

It would have to be for a deal and a half. Most say it wont happen... I hope they are right.

You read my mind. Can you imagine if mid-season he doesn't think he's getting enough balls thrown to him? Or how do you think he'd deal with being second in command behind Brady? I can't see them making this deal. At least I hope not.  The whole thing has disaster written all over it.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

I hope not. I do not like Moss. Chad Jackson missed pretty much the entire preseason as a rookie. He never got the chace to learn the system, hence him not playing much. Look for him to make waves next year. 

They have a few first rounders this year, we shall see.
shit i forgot about jackson either way you are gonna get a great receiver I'm with you though i like stallworth he would look good in a falcons jersey :P

body88

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
You read my mind. Can you imagine if mid-season he doesn't think he's getting enough balls thrown to him? Or how do you think he'd deal with being second in command behind Brady? I can't see them making this deal. At least I hope not.  The whole thing has disaster written all over it.

He could never handle the media around here. Clayton was just on espn saying it was not going to happen... * crosses fingers* As good as he is, I dont want anything to do with thim.

The deal would have to be an absolute steal for me to even think about it.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 08:05:58 PM »

He could never handle the media around here. Clayton was just on espn saying it was not going to happen... * crosses fingers* As good as he is, I dont want anything to do with thim.

unfortunately my friend it not us armchair gms that get to think about it

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:14:35 PM »

The first thing he did wrong would be beaten to death by the fans, newspapers and radio stations. He'd have no where to turn to escape it other than living in a cocoon.

Isn't Kyle Brady a born again virgin or some nonsense like that? Let's hope the born again virgin status works well for 35 year old tight ends whose job is essentially 6th offensive lineman.

body88

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
The first thing he did wrong would be beaten to death by the fans, newspapers and radio stations. He'd have no where to turn to escape it other than living in a cocoon.

Isn't Kyle Brady a born again virgin or some nonsense like that? Let's hope the born again virgin status works well for 35 year old tight ends whose job is essentially 6th offensive lineman.

Great pickup to block. Belichick loved him for years. He is  6'6 280, he will be a nice blocking tight end for us. Thomas has awesome hands, he is going to be great on passing plays.... He made some spectacular catches last season. Watson is still "the man" for everything....

Btw Graham just got 15 million garanteed from Denver.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
Great pickup to block. Belichick loved him for years. He is  6'6 280, he will be a nice blocking tight end for us. Thomas has awesome hands, he is going to be great on passing plays.... He made some spectacular catches last season. Watson is still "the man" for everything....

Btw Graham just got 15 million garanteed from Denver.

I know, isn't that amazing. We've got Brady for $2 million a year a believe. While he's no Graham I think he'll be great in his role for 40% of what Graham is earning. If he can stay healthy.

Thomas was a GENIUS signing. Did you read Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column yesterday? Great read if you didn't. Thomas is pumped about playing for Belichick. I can't wait to see how they use him, he's so versatile.

Now if we could just find a good wideout.

body88

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
K brady has stone hands and sucks at catching. But, that is not what he is there for. He is there to block and block only. Thomas and Watson will handle the catching part. Thomas is going to be something I tellz ya!!!! Brady is cheaper then 2 mill.... You have to look at the guaranteed money.

It was a great move to let Graham go. I would have loved to keep him, but we have a 6'6 280 lb te who can block just as good, for a fraction of the price. DG knew he could get way more money then the pats would ever give him, in Denver.

The Thomas singing was awesome. We still have 12 million in cap space after all these moves. Which includes tendering the entire roster, and franchising Asanti...........

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 09:15:46 PM »
K brady has stone hands and sucks at catching. But, that is not what he is there for. He is there to block and block only. Thomas and Watson will handle the catching part. Thomas is going to be something I tellz ya!!!! Brady is cheaper then 2 mill.... You have to look at the guaranteed money.

It was a great move to let Graham go. I would have loved to keep him, but we have a 6'6 280 lb te who can block just as good, for a fraction of the price. DG knew he could get way more money then the pats would ever give him, in Denver.

The Thomas singing was awesome. We still have 12 million in cap space after all these moves. Which includes tendering the entire roster, and franchising Asanti...........

Exactly, in essence he'll be an offensive lineman. I heard the Brady deal was $5.3 million total with $2 million up front, I'm not sure how the yearly salaries are broken down and that bonus can be spread out over the life of the contract.

I liked Graham. He was a good TE with decent hands and great blocking skills. I'm still waiting for Watson to live up to his potential. He's an absolute athletic freak of nature but can be disappointing as a receiver.

And I agree, where looking pretty good cap wise. Next year should be another great year.

body88

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »
Basically when you see a deal that says 5 years 30 million, like Grahams... You wait to hear the guaranteed figure. Which in his case is 15 million. That is the only money that matters. It is basically 5 years 15 million with options that "could" net him more doe, but they are not guaranteed. Graham will make 3 million a year no matter what for the life of the deal. He has the ability to make more depending on options. The big figure is fluffer to make the deal look nice, or to backload a deal so the cap hits stay small during the prime years of the contract. The cap hits on the Thomas deal are awesome, very small....

The Thomas deal is 5 years 35 million, but only 15 - 20 million of that is guaranteed. Kyle Brady will make about 1.3 million a year. He is not as good as DG, but for his purpose (blocking) he is just as effective as DG was. Kyle is also 1.6 million cheaper per year, and not on board to long. D Thomas is going to be the one making the big catches, as well as Watson. To many guys with the same last name now!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 01:29:13 AM »

Did anyone actually read the article? hahahaha Stop making assumptions, he's not necessarily the same guy as before, isn't TO. The guy's getting older & is running out of time to be on a winner, just went through shit seasons AND has proven that he plays best around superior talent. He'd be thoroughly interviewed to ascertain his current disposition vs. your assumptions as to what he is. This is what Belichick sees that you don't.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 01:30:40 AM »

LOL what arrogance; since when is body88 making the decisions? I can't take anyone who refers to their team as "we" ::) Part of what makes Belichick the best coach is that he's open-minded like i am.

Maybe it won't happen, but this is more speculation.

Neither one of you seems to comprehend that a good number of his previous problems likely stemmed from mediocre coaching on both teams-that's what Bill's likely thinking, that you aren't. Dennis Green was never a good coach, was a big part of the reason the Vikings never realized their potential.

body88

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 05:58:25 AM »
LOL what arrogance; since when is body88 making the decisions? I can't take anyone who refers to their team as "we" ::) Part of what makes Belichick the best coach is that he's open-minded like i am.

'We" is not made to be taken literal. If you take it literal that is your problem. People say "we" when talking about there teams all the time. You have it in your head I literally think I am part of the organization. I do not so give it up. I have told you this 8 times now. In reality I could say "we", because I have been writing checks to the Patriots for over 15 years for my season tickets. My money is helping to pay for these fa moves. However, I do not think that way so give it up. When I said "for me to think about it" I meant if the deal was a good one, I may be able to overlook the worst attitude this side of TO. Stop over analyzing what I say. Have you been watching the coverage on this issue from the NE perspective? Hell, all the national guys are saying you cannot "give Randy Moss away these days". The patriots would only take Randy Moss if they could get a good deal on him. The guy doesent exactly make short money. He would have to be willing to restructure his contract. I do have an open mind, I do not like Randy Moss, he is a cancer and a quitter. That is my opinion, and the opinion of a lot the fans I have heard weigh in on the issue here in NE. maybe effin has heard differently, but that is the consenses I have gotten from listning to sports radio. I was all about signing Corey Dillon when he came here. A lot of people where wary of Dillon due to his issues. Corey is not like Moss tho. Corey worked hard every snap, never quit on his team, even when things where bad in cinci. A "me" player on a a team based on the word "we" is not a good fit imo.

Not only would Randy Moss would have to restructure his contract, Al Davis would have to come to his senses. Davis was trying to get two first round picks for Porter last year. I would only be happy with the deal if it was a steal. That is not arrogant,as I am not an arrogant person. I feel Moss is cancer, and I would want the pats to take the risk if it was a low cost (for Randy Moss) high reward deal. A deal that they could opt out of if things went sour. Rodney Harrison when asked about the situation said "He can come here if he plays football and shuts his mouth, " The vets, Teddy Brewski and I would not stand for it" , then he said " He will not ruin the chemistry of this team".  The vibes are not good to start with.

I have hated Moss since he quit on his team in the NFC championship when he played for the Vikings. Thanks but no thanks. If they grab him for a good deal, I wont like it, but those are the breaks. Btw there was already a trade in place for Moss. Chad jackson and a 4th round pick. That deal was nixed when jackson hurt his acl at the end of the year. At this point this is all 100 percent speculation. If belicheck bring him in, I will just have to trust him.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 08:34:30 AM »
Did anyone actually read the article? hahahaha Stop making assumptions, he's not necessarily the same guy as before, isn't TO. The guy's getting older & is running out of time to be on a winner, just went through shit seasons AND has proven that he plays best around superior talent. He'd be thoroughly interviewed to ascertain his current disposition vs. your assumptions as to what he is. This is what Belichick sees that you don't.

The problem with this point of view is that you're assuming he's going to change. There is no evidence that he's anything but a selfish jackass, immensely talented but a selfish jackass all the same.

He has a long and storied track record as a trouble maker and no track record as a good teammate. Are we all to assume that he's going to change now?

If by some miracle he were to become a good teammate then every Patriots fan in the world would love having him. The problem is what he says now in interviews has no real relevance on how he'll act during the season.

I'd say there's an 80% chance this won't happen.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Body88....Aern't you concerned that the Patriots aern't able to work out a contract extension with Asante Samuel but instead choose to franchise him? They had the cap room to do it.

No player in the NFL wants to be franchised. Yes, it means that you're going to make bank for one year because you have to be paid on average of the top five salaries for the position but.....

Players want to be reassured of their team's committment to them by way of an extension, with a portion of it as guaranteed money.

Essentially, it's a one year contract to prove that you can have another great season like the one Samuel had in '06. If he falls short in '07 by way of injury or inconsistent play, that gives the Patriots the leverage to negotiate a lower money contract extension based on performance or let him go altogether in free agency.

What's your opinion? Obviously, you have a better feel for the New England pulse. Were negotiations far apart on both sides on an extension? It's a smart smove by the Pats, business wise but Samuel can't possibly feel too appreciated for the kind of year he had.

body88

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »
Body88....Aern't you concerned that the Patriots aern't able to work out a contract extension with Asante Samuel but instead choose to franchise him? They had the cap room to do it.

No player in the NFL wants to be franchised. Yes, it means that you're going to make bank for one year because you have to be paid on average of the top five salaries for the position but.....

Players want to be reassured of their team's commitment to them by way of an extension, with a portion of it as guaranteed money.

Essentially, it's a one year contract to prove that you can have another great season like the one Samuel had in '06. If he falls short in '07 by way of injury or inconsistent play, that gives the Patriots the leverage to negotiate a lower money contract extension based on performance or let him go altogether in free agency.

What's your opinion? Obviously, you have a better feel for the New England pulse. Were negotiations far apart on both sides on an extension? It's a smart move by the Pats, business wise but Samuel can't possibly feel too appreciated for the kind of year he had.

Honestly I think they made the right decision. This is pure speculation as contract talks have been hush, hush since day one. The patriots will offer him a fair market deal. If Asanti wants more, he will get traded. They will get all they can for him if he is going to leave. I suspect they could get a lot for him if they had to trade him. Asanti had a amazing year, but I think they made the correct move in franchising him. At worst they would reap the rewards of a trade... Asanti should be happy they stuck with him when he struggled in previous years. They know Asanti better then anyone. Pioli and Belichick are two of the best at evaluating talent.

The pats will draft a corner and a lb in the first round this year. They have 9 picks this year, so I expect them to build depth in the draft.

I cannot really comment on this. Contract talks with Asanti have been so hush hush there is zero reports on what is going on. All we know is he is locked up for a year, and they are negotiating.