Author Topic: Bent over rows  (Read 1963 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Bent over rows
« on: March 10, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
Did them for the first time yesterday because I'm getting sick of t-bars and I keep hearing how bent over rows are another great mass builder when it comes to thick lats! I'm just not feeling it in my back like I used to when it comes to t-bars so I gave it a shot. Does anyone have a good example of how to perform them? I went by jay cutler's example on the dvd clip I saw, but I know some pro's don't hold true to the standards and want to make sure I'm not going to fuck my shit up. I did 135x15x1,225x12x1,275x10x1,315x4x1 for my first time out. There's a HUGE difference between using 275 and 315. I used a push with the legs to help get it up on the 315 but stayed bent over with a trainer watching me to make sure I was performing them right.  I think 315 is just a little too much to comfortably work with unless I was doing them properly, in which case I'll stick with it. My whole back lit up wtih it though so it might be the change I need. It didn't feel much more difficult than 7-8 plates on the t-bar row.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Bent over rows
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:14:24 AM »
There's no right way-try bent way over, almost standing up, in-between until hopefully an angle's found that feels natural in terms of max. lat work and min. lower back stress.

Also vary the grip width-try closer, medium grip, etc.

I've never found standard BB rows as good at hitting the lats as other options such as T-bar, one-arm rows, hammer rows, etc. It's also an exhausting exercise because of the position & large muscles involved. T-bar by comparison hits the lats better IMO and because of the angle, isn't as exhausting, to me.

The most effective, least stressful, least exhausting way to do BB/DB rows IMO:

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 08:18:53 AM »
it felt good and I did it unbelted to see how my lower back would react and it didnt'. You don't get QUITE the ROM of the others with this exercise though, you're right. Chalk it up to experimentation. I kept myself at a 45* angle throughout the exercise but Iv'e seen most people bent completely over them doing it so I came to my getbig brethren for some answers.

william

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »
I alternate doing them over and underhanded. I get more lat burn with the underhanded style using a ez curl bar.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »
I alternate doing them over and underhanded. I get more lat burn with the underhanded style using a ez curl bar.

E-Z curl's a very good option, can be a lot more comfortable & more effective; so is using a hammer bar.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »
This may seem ackward...but i feel that your feet should be almost touching when you do barbell rows. I feel rows totally on the upper and mid back when doing rows with a narrow stance.

On T-Bar rows, you have to stand with a wide foot position. This doesnt work well for me.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »
rows are king,, id put heavy rows as the one exersize that built my back, even above deadlifts,,, i would keep the rep range around 6 to 8 for your final set tho,, i usualy do burns moving the bar until it only moves a few inches before puttin it down... use straps too