Author Topic: Field Hockey = No training legs?  (Read 859 times)

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
Field Hockey = No training legs?
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
Im playing field hockey over winter which means LOTS of sprints , shuttles and in general lots of running ...er yeah  :P

I havent trained legs for over 2 months dues to trials for 6 clubs and didnt want DOMS to interfere with my speed/performance as trials were all over the show.

Anyways is there any point in training legs over the hockey season (Once i can actually schedule them in so DOMS doesnt effect my games etc) even tho im running lots

Or should I stick to a compound high reps leg workout , to improve my running/speed etc.

Or just wait till offseason then blast them again.

Any advice much appreciated  8)

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: Field Hockey = No training legs?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »
Im playing field hockey over winter which means LOTS of sprints , shuttles and in general lots of running ...er yeah  :P

I havent trained legs for over 2 months dues to trials for 6 clubs and didnt want DOMS to interfere with my speed/performance as trials were all over the show.

Anyways is there any point in training legs over the hockey season (Once i can actually schedule them in so DOMS doesnt effect my games etc) even tho im running lots

Or should I stick to a compound high reps leg workout , to improve my running/speed etc.

Or just wait till offseason then blast them again.

Any advice much appreciated  8)

I play Rugby 4 days a week and train legs twice a week. 

Is your main goal to have better legs for field hockey or have bigger legs? 

Having bigger legs would require bodybuilder training and would definitely leave you very sore and inflexible.  If you want to do more athletic-type training, your leg workouts will leave you wiped and sore but more functional and flexible. 

3 day weight training split (if you're doing lots of cardio in-season, which field hockey seems to be)

Push
Pull
Lower

keep it simple.  There's no way you're going to add any more muscle or strength during the season, just focus on your conditioning and keeping yourself game fit.

Off season is where you put on size and strenght and then peel it off coming in to the season.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
Re: Field Hockey = No training legs?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »
yeah thats what i pretty much thought too

will just have a high reps (15) leg day with one leg squats and lunges etc

Just been supersetting upper on another day

cheers dude