Author Topic: how many exercises per muscle  (Read 2324 times)

BadConduct

• Getbig II
how many exercises per muscle
« on: March 17, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »
How many diffirent exercises should i do per muscle group?  today doin chest i did decline, incline, dumbell flayes, dumbell incline, dumbell decline, dips, and then i did cable cross over and did cable decline.  Is this too much?

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
Re: how many exercises per muscle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »
that is way to much
i think the majority would say 6-9 sets for muscles like, calves, biceps, triceps,, 9-12 for chest, shoulders. and 12-16 for back and legs

i think you should have done, flat bench press, incline db bench press, dips, and flys or cable cross overs. 3 x each. even that can be to much

BadConduct

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »
by 6-9 sets you mean 3 set of one exercise and 3 set of another right?

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:25:26 AM »
yes

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
How many diffirent exercises should i do per muscle group?  today doin chest i did decline, incline, dumbell flayes, dumbell incline, dumbell decline, dips, and then i did cable cross over and did cable decline.  Is this too much?

i do 4 exerises 3-4 sets each

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:53:21 PM »
I think that if your pecs need more size, you have little business doing movements other than: flat bench presses, barbell incline presses, dumbell flyes. Doing decline presses once in a while would be ok.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »

IMO you should decide on an overall total number of sets to do for each muscle, then do 3-4 sets on the first exercises choosen, then 2 sets on one or two final finishing exercises.

Whether you do 3 or 4 sets for each exercise can be decided each workout-if you're going to failure and really working it, the muscle could be completely wasted after 3 sets, in which case go on to the next exercise. If you have more energy and think there's still some reserve left, or are in a groove and really want to work it, do a 4th set. After the meat of the workout for that muscle involving 3-4 sets/exercise on the main exercises, end the work on that muscle with a couple of sets of a finshing exercise.

As far as numbers of sets for each muscle, the best IMO is:

-6-9 sets for smaller muscles, 9-12 sets for larger muscles. Moderate sets like this are effective, assuming that you're working hard to failure on each set. No wasted sets going through the motions, in which you would still have something left in the tank. Leave it all there, don't hold back.

If you want to challenge yourself, do one set of each exercise (typically but not always the last set of each exercise) to negative failure, using cheats, rest-pause, etc.

Try this for a couple of months, keeping in mind that bottom line the gains will come by increasing the reps and/or weight and forcing the muscles to adapt to the new loads, using cheats, negatives, forced reps, etc.

After you're used to it you can experiment with increasing or decreasing the total numbers of sets for each muscle, to see what happens in each case. You might find that biceps requires fewer sets while triceps respond to higher numbers of sets.

Also try different training frequencies, for a couple of months each: each muscle twice weekly, thrice weekly and once every 5 days, and compare.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 01:20:50 AM »
For me the only consistency in my regime is the fact that I train and eat.  Number of sets, exercises, rep scheme etc all change on a monthly basis. 
It hasn't helped...

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:30:59 AM »
Differs;

just make sure you change once in a while. Fe, chest 3 to 4 excersises about 3 sets each, but after a while increase both sets and reps once in a while,
so still the same number of excersises but more sets with about the same weight and more reps.

You're not a powerlifter but a BB.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »
yup....bout 4 exercises of 4.........maybe a little more.......tris is 12 and bis are 9....

BadConduct

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 02:11:45 PM »
by shoulders you mean deltoids or deltoids/trapz?

BadConduct

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »
oh another thing...someone said 12-16 sets for legs, does that include hams too or is it 12-16 for quads and 12-16 for hams?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »
oh another thing...someone said 12-16 sets for legs, does that include hams too or is it 12-16 for quads and 12-16 for hams?

One other thing...you're welcome.

12-16 sets for legs, total. If you need more sets than that, you're not working hard enough on each set.

BadConduct

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »
heh yeah thanks

so i should do like 3 exercises for quads and 2 for hams and then 3 for calves?  sorry if this mite seem redundant but i just wanna make sure i get this right.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »
2 for calves, standing and seated calf raise thats all you need

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
LOL

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »
2 for calves, standing and seated calf raise thats all you need
Yes; if you have to choose one do standing they emphasize the inside larger part of the calves while the seated primarily hits the smaller outer part.

PHATnoMore

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »
I'm new to this, how many reps are in a set?

P.

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »
I'm new to this, how many reps are in a set?

P.

as many reps as you do from the time you lift the bar till the time you put it back. could be 1 could be 100. to failure works best for me.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
as many reps as you can with good form. use  6-8 reps for the  compounds and  10-12 for the shaping/iso movements..

if you just started I would go with about 10-15 reps per set. just to get down the form..DON'T  watch any pro bodybuilding video like Ronnie, Jay or Branch's. they dont do form that should be copied by someone just starting and doesn't know whats good or bad form on some movements.