Author Topic: Kobe Scores 50  (Read 5435 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Kobe Scores 50
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »
Legitimate issue.  That said, he gets a pass from me so far, because they have not surrounded him with enough talent to win a championship.  Give him another all star and he likely gets another ring, or three.  They are one player away.  Smush Parker and Kwame Brown are not the answer. 

His obvious selfishness has not been unlearned after all the years of experience, and does not equate to being a winner, even with better talent. The opposite of Bird & Magic; even Jordan became a better team player later.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »
His obvious selfishness has not been unlearned after all the years of experience, and does not equate to being a winner, even with better talent. The opposite of Bird & Magic; even Jordan became a better team player later.

His selfishness has resulted in three rings.  He has also led his team in assists pretty much every year as a starter.  He could probably average ten assists a game if his teammates could knock down shots. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
His selfishness has resulted in three rings.  He has also led his team in assists pretty much every year as a starter.  He could probably average ten assists a game if his teammates could knock down shots. 

On the contrary, it couldn't have been more obvious that he was both told and resented being subjugated to Shaq's play-part of the team concept that was a big part of the riff. In other words, being part of a team that won championships wasn't satisfying.

Now he's finally center stage and the team's nowhere close to what it was. Which cave in Afghanistan were you living in that you didn't know this? ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 11:14:38 AM »
On the contrary, it couldn't have been more obvious that he was both told and resented being subjugated to Shaq's play-part of the team concept that was a big part of the riff. In other words, being part of a team that won championships wasn't satisfying.

Now he's finally center stage and the team's nowhere close to what it was. Which cave in Afghanistan were you living in that you didn't know this? ;)

I watch almost every televised Laker game and have for years.  I've been a fan since the days of Norm Nixon, Jamal Wilkes, and Bob McAdoo.  What was obvious to me when watching the Lakers during their last title run was they would not have won without Kobe, Shaq, AND Phil. And it was Kobe who often carried the team in the 4th quarter, because Shaq couldn't hit his free throws.  It was Kobe who was the best defender on the team and who generally led the team in assists. 

And just fyi, selfish players don't play defense. 

Kobe is center stage on an injury-riddled team that currently isn't good enough to bring home a title. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 12:04:55 PM »
I watch almost every televised Laker game and have for years.  I've been a fan since the days of Norm Nixon, Jamal Wilkes, and Bob McAdoo.  What was obvious to me when watching the Lakers during their last title run was they would not have won without Kobe, Shaq, AND Phil. And it was Kobe who often carried the team in the 4th quarter, because Shaq couldn't hit his free throws.  It was Kobe who was the best defender on the team and who generally led the team in assists. 

And just fyi, selfish players don't play defense. 

Kobe is center stage on an injury-riddled team that currently isn't good enough to bring home a title. 

The current team's a convenient excuse; they're not winning with Kobe hogging the ball. He was allowed to do that only when needed within the team context that won in previous years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »
The current team's a convenient excuse; they're not winning with Kobe hogging the ball. He was allowed to do that only when needed within the team context that won in previous years.

I have to assume you don't watch the Lakers play much.   :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »

I was spoiled in the 80s; they and the Celtics make today's teams seem trite. ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »
I was spoiled in the 80s; they and the Celtics make today's teams seem trite. ;)

Oh we are in complete agreement there.  Some of my fondest memories are the great Lakers/Celtics battles of the 80s.  I don't think we will ever see teams with three Hall of Famers each playing at that level again. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 05:46:40 AM »
Oh we are in complete agreement there.  Some of my fondest memories are the great Lakers/Celtics battles of the 80s.  I don't think we will ever see teams with three Hall of Famers each playing at that level again. 

I don't think that the Bulls teams in the 1990's wouldn't have beaten the great Celtic or Lakers teams of the early to mid 1980's. Those teams were just so much deeper than the Bulls once you get past Jordan and Pippen. I don't think the Bulls would have beaten the 1982-83 Philedelphia 76ers either.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 06:03:05 AM »

I doubt Pumpster has actually watched a game in his life.
The House that Ruth built

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »
I don't think that the Bulls teams in the 1990's wouldn't have beaten the great Celtic or Lakers teams of the early to mid 1980's. Those teams were just so much deeper than the Bulls once you get past Jordan and Pippen. I don't think the Bulls would have beaten the 1982-83 Philedelphia 76ers either.

I agree.