Author Topic: dumbells vs straight bar  (Read 4119 times)

BadConduct

• Getbig II
dumbells vs straight bar
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »
Im sure there is a diffirence and i was just wondering what are the diffirence between straight barr, ez bar and dumbells?  what is the diffirence between dumbell bench press vs regular bench press with the straight bar?

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
Re: dumbells vs straight bar
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »

more muscles are involve with dumbells !
are you delusional?

BadConduct

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:10:53 PM »
so why does anyone even bother with a barbell?

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
i use both. dumbbells are very good. they let you use a muscle by itself and the other side can't  overpower them.. barbells lets you lift more weights. its best to use everything in the gym. you never know what will be the magic  exerise that would   let you gain mass in a muscle

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:16:59 AM »
barbell turns it into more of a power excercise, good for bulk.  using a bar is not ideal for everyone due to your body being locked in a specific groove.  If there is any pain/stress in the wrists or elbows they're not for you.  If you're fine with them I suggest you use them in your workout occasionally.
It hasn't helped...

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:41:37 AM »
Dumbells are harder to handle cause usually you have to lift them from a rack and lift them to the right position,
you lose a lot of potential energy doing that.
Barbell hits slightly less smaller muscles but you have the advantage of targeting the muscle directly cause you don't have to manoeuvre yourself in the right position.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »
they are both good cause both are free wieghts. but alot of people after years or squating or benching with a bar devlop shoulder issues or chest issues. both offer benefits but alot of people after years of lifting stick with dumbells. barbells i feel are nessacry for a beginers to add the mass they are looking to add. a good blend of both is good if u can use either with no issues...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 08:50:16 AM »
Working  with DB's will insure an equal balance for both side of the body, muscle and strength wise. DB's will give a fuller stretch or ROM in some movements. One example is the flat/incline bench. DB's allow a more natural twisting of the wrist and  the following of the muscle/joint function better. A straight BB may set the wrist in too firm a fixed position. One reason that big benchers, using a BB, may have a better potential of joint/shoulder injury. More variety, angle recruitment and extension exercises can be done with a pair of DB's. A EZ bar can allow more relief, over a straight bar, in some exercises. A example would be biceps/triceps & up-right rows. A EZ bar would be closer to a DB, that a straight bar would, by the different set gripping  angles.

A straight bar would have the advantage of using the heavier Big Boy exercises to their fullest advantage: Squats, DL's, rows, benches, etc. This would include rack training, partials and lockouts. A straight bar can direct better focus on a lift for a lot of guy's. Using max weights with a BB will tend to give the max results back to the trainee, producing the better gains overall. If you are training with serious intent, than a combined workout of both a BB and Db's should be the best option, for reaching muscle size potential.

Cable work also has a role in achieving muscle size. The best of non BB/DB movements are done on a chinning  and parallel bar.  I believe (for whatever it's worth) that anyone could achieve outstanding upper body development by just using a chinning and dipping bar,alone. With added weight, of course. Any trainee should mix up the equipment as much as they do different training programs for ultimate results. Good Luck.
F

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »
I love DBs...the ROM u get from them are fantastic
ur momma

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 10:42:22 AM »
DB's are better on almost all movements. And u can add just as much mass with DB's. Since it's not how much u lift but how much the muscles work! BB are better for DL's and Squats tho.
P

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 10:44:37 AM »
DB's are better on almost all movements. And u can add just as much mass with DB's. Since it's not how much u lift but how much the muscles work! BB are better for DL's and Squats tho.

handle more weight with a barbell...plain and simple.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
if you train alone use dumbbells for benching. much safer
Z

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »
DB's are better all around but it's good to switch to the barbell to stimulate the muscle for growth. As we all know, the same exercises all the time will lead to limited gains. Switch back and forth between the two and you’ll have the best gains. If you can throw in a third or forth type of exercise, like a couple machines, it’s even better.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

The Hippie

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »
i prefer barbells for every thing except flys and wrist curls.
although for bicepts a good mix of barbell and dumbell is good, and will help you even your arms out.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 08:25:28 PM »
there are diifferences between barbell and dumbbell which include balance and the way the muscles are worked. however, knowing that these two variations have differences, it should be obvious that you can benefit from both since both have something different to offer. switch up between barbell and dumbbell for your presses and curls. i do believe both have their advantages.