Author Topic: working tris with all free weights  (Read 3583 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: working tris with all free weights
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 04:53:58 PM »
the problem with pushdowns is, after a certain amount of weight, unless you're secured in place, you'll lift yourself off the floor. That is why closed grip benching and weighted dips are gospel. Most people don't even do pressdowns correctly...it's almost like a youtube quality cable benchpress.

Even more reason to make pushdowns a heavy compound by flaring the elbows, which allows you to lean into the stack, removing that problem. As a result this version's quite comparable to  CGBP or dips, even better to some. Milos also feels this way about CGs being over-rated (for some).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
As suggested before, a horizontal bar can replace a lat machine (or anything else) when doing versions of a pushdowm. Not to mention, getting the center cable away from the face/head. If anyone would have trouble doing a muscle up to get into that pushdown position on a bar, than consider this. Set the pins in a power rack (or anything else handy) to about chest height, place a bar on them, and start from there.  A 4X4, or such, can be used if desired. A BB tends to roll if not under complete control. Pushdowns can be similar to a dip with the knuckles facing forward.

Some BB'ers I've known have use a curl grip on the BB French Press behind the neck (touching the back of the neck each rep). Also when doing lat machine tricep pushdowns.

Thought the mechanics of using a DB with two hands seems reasonable, people tend to get very strong, very fast in that exercise. Having a training partner lug a 150lb+ DB high enough for a starting position can be one pain in the arse for both the spotter and the guy doing the exercise. From my limited experience, it's about 40/60 as to who uses a Olympic straight bar vs a Olympic style EZ bar. Don't see too many using a tricep  bar, but that type bar would make more sense to me. Good luck.
F

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
40/60..
ratio you say...
in my gym its an 80 20 ratio deadlifts vs pulldowns..
ive used both and the straight bar has given me the most gains.. its the camber bar that kills my elbows
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »
40/60, 80/20-there's no specific ratio. I haven't seen a pro actually using a straight bar in this context in decades. People in gyms who do generally either don't know better or have no choice for the most part.

As i said, you're very much in the minority to find the cambered bar less good. All i can say is if you want to be open minded try a hammer bar or end of a dumbbell and see if you feel same-each effects the elbows and tris a little differently. Or not, whatever floats the boat.. ;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 12:15:39 AM »
ive tried the hammer bar... that KILLS my elbows big time..
ive used the camber bar for 65% of my work out history..
possible my body got to used to it after a while...
so i will somewhat digress...
straight bar..
centopati uses the olympic bar and he has some of the best tris ive seen in a while...
branch as well..
but to each their own...
people are built differently..

choice is an illusion