Author Topic: Should States Apologize for Slavery?  (Read 3650 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Should States Apologize for Slavery?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 06:23:25 PM »
Too true.  The UK will apologise for all.  Watch us.

In the last 50 years, we've given back Australia and Canada and Hong Kong and India.  Before that (we, the royal we, I'm English), invented your America.  Give over.  Let's get history straight.  Who won the fuuuucckkkkinnngggg last world war.  (Sorry, I lost my grandad in that one).

And I'm fairly certain the reason I've got golden skin is because I'm descended from someone from a faraway sunny place...
xL

Someone who worked for the East Indian Trading Company perhaps?   ;D

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:37 PM »
Yep, there's a court case on the BBC news against the Church of England and also against Tate&Lyle, the sugarmakers.  Big news.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 06:34:08 PM »
Someone who worked for the East Indian Trading Company perhaps?   ;D

Hope so, maybe I've a rich relative out there...

Only kidding

xxxstupid white girl in London, Englandxxx

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »
No.
Valhalla awaits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »
agreed, plus this would just open the door to lawsuits for reparations.   

Or not. 

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 04:12:00 AM »
Very simple,  make a decision to get over by not paying any attention to it.   what people tend to do when they pay attention to it is use it as an alibi for all there short comings.  It's another of the many ways not to take responsibility for themselves and what happens to them. It's mind over matter....if you don't mind, it don't matter

We all have challenges, some greater then others.  It's not anyone's obligation to help others with those challenges,  It's up to the individual to overcome those challenges and prosper in life.

Far too many people whine and play the victim.  In America today, even without a college education a person can get ahead and build a great a prosperous life with determination and hard work.

The problem is most people these days especially many young ones treat the word "work" like a 4-letter curse word.

Again, I am not talking about people who use race as an excuse to whine and be a "victim".  I think that is bullshit.

I am talking about being the first black mayor of NYC and not being able to get a cab because of the color or your skin.
I am talking about being dragged to death behind a truck because of the color of your skin.
I am talking about when trying to come up with an excuse for stupid behavior(runaway bride) say a black person kidnapped you.

How do you get over that?  I do mind and it does matter.  Because for the Grace of God There goes I.

Sandra

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 05:34:17 AM »
The issues you spoke of are "personal" for the people who enacted that way. Of all the incidents you posted, you could find people who would do the complete opposite.

Racsism is in a certain amount of people. Not everyone has it.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
The issues you spoke of are "personal" for the people who enacted that way. Of all the incidents you posted, you could find people who would do the complete opposite.

Racsism is in a certain amount of people. Not everyone has it.

Yes racism is in a certain amount of people, ..however, racism is NOT a natural state.
The racism is there because it is taught ...both directly and indirectly. It is a legacy from slavery,
...and the way to get over it, is to understand it, and to recognize it's many manifestations.

Those that both benefit and work against members of society of all races.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 07:25:32 AM »
Again,  none of this has anything to do with people who weren't alive back then apologizing to people who weren't alive back then fro something they didn't do to somebody who didn't suffer it.

It's a waste of timer money and resources.

Also apologizing isn't going to change the racists of today.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
Again,  none of this has anything to do with people who weren't alive back then apologizing to people who weren't alive back then fro something they didn't do to somebody who didn't suffer it.

I'll apologize to blacks when they apologize to the more qualified people that didn't get hired because they weren't black. Affirmative action, what a joke. I would be really proud to be hired to fill the black slot at work
gotta love life

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »

You state that as if those alive to day who did not own slaves, do not and have not benefitted from the legacy,
and as if those those alive today who were not slaves, do not suffer as a result of the legacy.

You clearly do not understand it because you are not aware of how the legacy touches your life everyday.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, there are many who do.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
I'll apologize to blacks when they apologize to the more qualified people that didn't get hired because they weren't black. Affirmative action, what a joke. I would be really proud to be hired to fill the black slot at work

You speak as if Blacks are the sole beneficiaries of Affirmative Action.

The greatest beneficiaries of affirmative action have been white women.

Have a little basis in fact before you open your mouth.
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 08:33:20 AM »
Oh, brother....

First up, state-sanctioned 'apologies' for slavery mean absolutely nothing.  And in the cases of Black men who've been wrongly convicted of and served prison sentences for crimes they did not commit, they mean even less, because you cannot 'un-steal' a man's life. 

Secondly, there is no denying that a large segment of the American population has indirectly benefitted while another large segment has been placed at a disadvantage. 

BUT, that being said, there are also many opportunities that my people have failed to capitalize on and this is no one's fault but our own. 

1) If we love ourselves and know our history in Black America, then EVERY BLACK CHILD should be desperate to be in school every single year. 

2) And just as importantly, we should strive to ensure that a significant percentage of the money we earn is saved in Black-owned banks and invested or spent in Black-owned businesses. 

Those are two huge items that we have complete control over.  It's up to us to decide that we want to build wealth and have a little equity in this country.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:49 AM »
You state that as if those alive to day who did not own slaves, do not and have not benefitted from the legacy,
and as if those those alive today who were not slaves, do not suffer as a result of the legacy.

You clearly do not understand it because you are not aware of how the legacy touches your life everyday.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, there are many who do.

We all have our own challenges we must face in life.  Some have it better than others....... by your logic rich people should be apologizing to poor people.  That's stupid.

We all have challenges,  we need to stop whining about them and move on with our lives.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2007, 10:03:27 AM »
I don't have a problem with the apology.  It isn't about punishing people who had nothing to do with slavery; it is about accountability.  It is a state acknowledging their role in a sordid part of our history.  It's never too late to say "I'm sorry" and be accountable.  I don't support reparations, but an apology is okay with me.   

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2007, 12:08:03 PM »
Yes racism is in a certain amount of people, ..however, racism is NOT a natural state.
The racism is there because it is taught ...both directly and indirectly. It is a legacy from slavery,
...and the way to get over it, is to understand it, and to recognize it's many manifestations.

Those that both benefit and work against members of society of all races.
I'd have to disagree with you there jag. Whenever people of a different skin color, be it white, black, brown, etc. come into a culture who are not acustomed to them, there wil be a sense of precaution. Now, if that particular group happens to harm or hurt anyone in that setting, that culture will deem them as bad. They will identify them by "skin color" and at that point will almost not want anything to do with them at all. It's been that way in the world for years. Start with the American Indian.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
I don't have a problem with the apology.  It isn't about punishing people who had nothing to do with slavery; it is about accountability.  It is a state acknowledging their role in a sordid part of our history.  It's never too late to say "I'm sorry" and be accountable.  I don't support reparations, but an apology is okay with me. 

It's December 15th, 1947 in Hammond, Indiana.  The kids from Miss Shields class are out on the playground encouraging young Flick to touch his tongue to the frozen flagpole to see whether it will stick.  It's a mob scene as they chant his name, egging him on.  Finally, as the excitement has built to a fever pitch, he does it and to the amazement of all the other kids and to his horror, Flick's tongue is stuck to the flagpole. 

The bell rings, and all the kids pour back into the classroom, leaving Flick stuck to a flagpole in the wintry cold. 

Once back inside, the teacher notices that Flick is not back yet and discovers what has happened when one of the kids points outside.

Eventually, Flick is rescued by the fire department, but holding up the Playground Honor Code, Flick refuses to give up any of his buddies who may have been involved in the incident.  After all, there was no clear ringleader, was there?

----------

Telling or admitting the truth is great, but for there to be 'accountability', there has to be some penalty. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »
We all have our own challenges we must face in life.  Some have it better than others....... by your logic rich people should be apologizing to poor people.  That's stupid.

We all have challenges,  we need to stop whining about them and move on with our lives.

No, ...that's not my logic at all.

Yes, we all have challenges, ...not everyone's challenges however have been legislated ones. If you consider a state's legislature's decision to apologize for wrongdoing as "whining", I guess there really is no discussing this with you.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
It's December 15th, 1947 in Hammond, Indiana.  The kids from Miss Shields class are out on the playground encouraging young Flick to touch his tongue to the frozen flagpole to see whether it will stick.  It's a mob scene as they chant his name, egging him on.  Finally, as the excitement has built to a fever pitch, he does it and to the amazement of all the other kids and to his horror, Flick's tongue is stuck to the flagpole. 

The bell rings, and all the kids pour back into the classroom, leaving Flick stuck to a flagpole in the wintry cold. 

Once back inside, the teacher notices that Flick is not back yet and discovers what has happened when one of the kids points outside.

Eventually, Flick is rescued by the fire department, but holding up the Playground Honor Code, Flick refuses to give up any of his buddies who may have been involved in the incident.  After all, there was no clear ringleader, was there?

----------

Telling or admitting the truth is great, but for there to be 'accountability', there has to be some penalty. 

I don't understand the purpose of your story?  

I disagree there has to be a "penalty."  Sometimes it is too late to hold people legally responsible for conduct, or perhaps the conduct was not even illegal (both situations apply to "reparations"), but that really has nothing to do with whether an individual or entity should apologize/accept responsibility/be accountable.  

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »
I'd have to disagree with you there jag. Whenever people of a different skin color, be it white, black, brown, etc. come into a culture who are not acustomed to them, there wil be a sense of precaution. Now, if that particular group happens to harm or hurt anyone in that setting, that culture will deem them as bad. They will identify them by "skin color" and at that point will almost not want anything to do with them at all. It's been that way in the world for years. Start with the American Indian.

The hatred that starts from a direct offense is not the same as the sort of systemic racism that gave birth to your society. It was an institution for 600 yrs., it might take a few more to eradicate it, ...but first it starts with an understanding of it's detrimental effects to society as a whole... which btw are not limited to the underclass.

it is only when those who enjoy the priviledge racism confers on them, start to realize they too have lost and have potentially even more to lose, will we see an honest attempt to address the issues.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
No, ...that's not my logic at all.

Yes, we all have challenges, ...not everyone's challenges however have been legislated ones. If you consider a state's legislature's decision to apologize for wrongdoing as "whining", I guess there really is no discussing this with you.

NO, The state legislature's decision to apologize is a waste of time & money in the mists of people in this country who are starving, in need of housing and in need of medical attention.

we need to get over it and move on.   AND stop whining about it.   An apology isn't going to change jack diddley other waste more money and time.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »
NO, The state legislature's decision to apologize is a waste of time & money in the mists of people in this country who are starving, in need of housing and in need of medical attention.

we need to get over it and move on.   AND stop whining about it.   An apology isn't going to change jack diddley other waste more money and time.

Sorry, I forgot there are more important things to do... like invade innocent countries to steal their resources and thwart their progress as a society.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
Sorry, I forgot there are more important things to do... like invade innocent countries to steal their resources and thwart their progress as a society.

IMO, domestic issues such as Education and medical care out weigh what ever we really went into Iraq for. 

So please don't pin that one on me.   :-*

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
IMO, domestic issues such as Education and medical care out weigh what ever we really went into Iraq for. 

So please don't pin that one on me.   :-*

I need to pin it on someone. I'm having a bad day... heartburn since 7:30am. I'm not happy.  :-\
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
I need to pin it on someone. I'm having a bad day... heartburn since 7:30am. I'm not happy.  :-\

Zantac 150's?   That's what i use....

Sorry you are feeling bad.   :(