Author Topic: Sad Sight at the Gym  (Read 3951 times)

Mike

• Getbig IV
Sad Sight at the Gym
« on: March 29, 2007, 01:13:28 PM »

Sunday, March 25th.

So I see this large man exit the elevator (free weigts and hammer strength and cables on the 2nd floor).  He's gotta be 350 - 400lbs, walks very slow, looks very tired already.  Sits down on the flat bench, loads up 185 lbs on the bar, reps out 3, then lays there and rests for 5 minutes.  Does the same thing for 4 sets, takes him about 20 minutes total.  Then goes over to the incline bench and does the same exact thing with 135lbs.

Sad thing is, he takes the elevator down again.  Now, I don't know his medical conditions (if any, besides obesity) but you would think he would use the stairs.  I can say, without a doubt, he would have benefited MUCH more from walking up and down the stairs a few times than lying down on a bench and pressing 1/2 his bodyweight.

I truly feel bad for him.  I think people try to walk before they can run (no pun intened in this scenario).  I mean, if you can't do a pushup (assuming he can't) then you shouldn't be bench pressing.  Period.  I see these scenarios play out on a much smaller scale all the time: Kids 1/4 squating twice their weight when they would have trouble doing a properly executed bodyweight squat.

discuss.....

SUPERDAD911

• Getbig II
  • Put limits on yourself, you limit your success.
Re: Sad Sight at the Gym
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »
I totally agree, NASM teaches that you should create a stable physical foundation of core/stability prior to going to strength and power exercises. This person obviously should be hitting the elyptical machine for an hour each day before hitting any of the free weights.

But, people always come to the gym to look like the guy/girl on the mags and all they want to do it hit the weights. I don't think people understand the benefits of cardio and core/stability prior to actually lifting. That is why there are more people doing 1/4 squats with 3x the amount of weight they can actually squat with in the gym who are giving their girlfriend advice on how to squat. After he mixes his expensive ass protein shake first of course (got to carry that around the gym to).

Good point.
Sugar Free

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:10:58 AM »
Since when did gyms start puttin in elevators?  If that's the case, your gym is a joke, must be catered to senior citizens.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »
Since when did gyms start puttin in elevators?  If that's the case, your gym is a joke, must be catered to senior citizens.

Since they had good business smarts moron. Now they can utilize a bottom AND top floor space wihtout having to worry about those that can't get to the cardio machines or weights that are elderly, obese trying to lose weight, or are post op/injury...

Since most of your typical gym goers AREN'T hardcore lifters but everyday people...any gym wanting to actually bring in more potential cash would.

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:29:54 AM »
I believe, the point which is made here is good. ppl fail to realise that building a quality physique requires hardwork, discipline and a strong mind set....it cannot be acheived overnight. Drugs are not gonna do wonders if everything else like ur diet, rest and training is falling all over the places....they need to come to terms that ROME WASN"T BUILT IN A DAY....good point dude...
ur momma

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »

HAHAHAH, since they started conforming to the Americans with Disabilites Act.  HAHAHAHAHA. 

Please don't post anymore.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 05:23:48 AM »

Makes sense for gyms with more than one floor to have an elevator for getting equipment up and down, etc.

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »
You belong to a rawkin' gym if that's the worst thing you saw.

How 'bout the guy at the strength rack with a dime on each side of an oly bar looking like he's gonna blow a disc doing bb curls

they're called assclowns and they breed in healthclubs and try to take root in gyms

PS I've belonged to 1 healthclub and 1 gym with a second floor, never saw an elevator. Don't mean there wasn't one, just didn't know about it. Most gym memberships are active for 2-3 weeks, gyms don't have to cater to anyone, everyone wants what is possible, no one wants to lift heavy sh*t

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »
You belong to a rawkin' gym if that's the worst thing you saw.

How 'bout the guy at the strength rack with a dime on each side of an oly bar looking like he's gonna blow a disc doing bb curls

they're called assclowns and they breed in healthclubs and try to take root in gyms

PS I've belonged to 1 healthclub and 1 gym with a second floor, never saw an elevator. Don't mean there wasn't one, just didn't know about it. Most gym memberships are active for 2-3 weeks, gyms don't have to cater to anyone, everyone wants what is possible, no one wants to lift heavy sh*t

I totally agree... when you see someone slamming down 30 lbs dumbbells after an excruciating set of shoulder presses... you know you're in for a treat. =)

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
Since they had good business smarts moron. Now they can utilize a bottom AND top floor space wihtout having to worry about those that can't get to the cardio machines or weights that are elderly, obese trying to lose weight, or are post op/injury...

Since most of your typical gym goers AREN'T hardcore lifters but everyday people...any gym wanting to actually bring in more potential cash would.

I call BS on business smarts, more like catering to lazy Americans!  If you can't handle some steps then your ass don't need to be on a treadmill. Talk about liability exposure.  Keep going to your "country club" to work out you fuckin gimp!

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »
I call BS on business smarts, more like catering to lazy Americans!  If you can't handle some steps then your ass don't need to be on a treadmill. Talk about liability exposure.  Keep going to your "country club" to work out you fuckin gimp!

I agree that they don't need to be on treadmills and the stairs would be fine (or just a walk outside). 

I disagree that you claim catering to lazy Americans is not business smarts.  It's probably the smartest thing you can do these days.  Americans are getting lazier and fatter and someones going to capitalize on it, why not you?     

Now, at my gym, we try to make a positive difference in peoples lives and not swindle them with scams and false marketing.  I dont' think it's ethical to do but, remember, there's one born every minute.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 01:28:11 AM »
too many fat people weight train and ignore cardio. i see them all the times. the ones who scream and yell ..... with a 50 inch gut.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
HAHAHAH, since they started conforming to the Americans with Disabilites Act.  HAHAHAHAHA. 

Please don't post anymore.

Trust me an elevator costs about 80 grand on the low side.  Your gym would rather put in a kick ass smoothie bar, than the elevator, but building codes require that you provide handicaped people the same access to equipment as the rest of your patrons.  So either you gym has to have free weights on both the 1st and 2nd floors or they put in a elevator, and just have the free weights upstairs.  I know we are not supposed to discriminate, but sometimes I feel discrimination would be better for those who are weak.  IE the F@#King scooters at Walmart that always have some 400 lbs fat ass riding them.  That is the biggest reason healthcare is so dam expensive.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »

Sunday, March 25th.

So I see this large man exit the elevator (free weigts and hammer strength and cables on the 2nd floor).  He's gotta be 350 - 400lbs, walks very slow, looks very tired already.  Sits down on the flat bench, loads up 185 lbs on the bar, reps out 3, then lays there and rests for 5 minutes.  Does the same thing for 4 sets, takes him about 20 minutes total.  Then goes over to the incline bench and does the same exact thing with 135lbs.

Sad thing is, he takes the elevator down again.  Now, I don't know his medical conditions (if any, besides obesity) but you would think he would use the stairs.  I can say, without a doubt, he would have benefited MUCH more from walking up and down the stairs a few times than lying down on a bench and pressing 1/2 his bodyweight.

I truly feel bad for him.  I think people try to walk before they can run (no pun intened in this scenario).  I mean, if you can't do a pushup (assuming he can't) then you shouldn't be bench pressing.  Period.  I see these scenarios play out on a much smaller scale all the time: Kids 1/4 squating twice their weight when they would have trouble doing a properly executed bodyweight squat.

discuss.....
No the sad part is you spent all that time watching him
p

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »
No the sad part is you spent all that time watching him

Please "dan18" tell me what you would have done?

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
Please "dan18" tell me what you would have done?
nothing i could care less what other people do at the gym as long as it doesn't interfer with my workout...I'm there for me not to make observations.
Dont get me wrong if I'm asked for help or i get asked a training question i will answer it..
p

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 09:59:16 AM »
Right on.  My old gym we had a problem with Bench MOnkeys. they would do a couple reps of some pathetic weight, then sit there and chat with their buddies or just watch people for 10 minutes.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »

Don't assume everyone who is interested in fitness is capable of walking.   There are two handicapped people who attend the gym I go to and they are both in wheelchairs.   If my gym didn't have an elevator to the upper level where the equipment is located, these people would be screwed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »

Sunday, March 25th.

discuss.....
At that size and weight, he should be more concerned with cutting sown his calories and cleaning up his diet and doing strickly cardio to loose weight. I agree with you on that analogy of learning to walk before you can fly.

PB

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 12:05:27 PM »
Like I always say when I see the overly obese , run to china then go to the gym.....

seriously though, if I would of seen him I probably would of took my dick out and piss on him.
L

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Dont get me wrong if I'm asked for help or i get asked a training question i will answer it..

Move, forehead, I Need That Bench!   >:(

jonsande

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

Sunday, March 25th.

discuss.....

I couldn't agree more. 

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »

I been to that gym a few times. Good equipment.

After a workout it's great to hit BENNIGANS for a steak/potato dinner.
?

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:32 PM »
I totally agree, NASM teaches that you should create a stable physical foundation of core/stability prior to going to strength and power exercises. This person obviously should be hitting the elyptical machine for an hour each day before hitting any of the free weights.
Oh yeah, cause Ronnie Coleman squatted using a core ball, before doing actual squats.  Those things are a severe waste of time.
I want to work my core.
Translation: I don't want to lift anything heavy or work too hard.

My favorite is watching someone do overhead tricep rope extentions on half a core ball.  Great way to ruin your back or break yourself.  I'd put money that the person doing them on regular ground will grow much quicker.  Plus, you can lift hell more weight if you're stable.  If you want to work on your abs....now here's a crazy one....work on your fucking abs..hahah
People and their "cutting edge" techniques.  Funny, I've never touched a core ball and I have pretty solid abs.  Oh another thing, don't worry about diet or cardio for getting good abs, just do 1000x crunches and eat Doritos.  Some people are just lost and content being there.
N

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 04:40:18 PM »
if your gym has an elevator theres a good chance the building was used for something else prior.. very few buildings are designed for a gym only. if your a developer and you make a building, are you gonna say this space is for a gym and a gym only -no.. what if the business fails and someone wants to open a store, or office space, or apartments? not without an elevator.