Author Topic: SQUATS  (Read 1126 times)

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
SQUATS
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:34:26 AM »
ok which do u reckon is better, Smith machine squats or Barbell squats ?? ur views big boys.
ur momma

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: SQUATS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »
ok which do u reckon is better, Smith machine squats or Barbell squats ?? ur views big boys.

I just started squatting for the first time in years and LOVE it. Barbell let's your body follow it's natural motion of things..smith doesn't. I'd say squat in a cage if you're scared you're going to bottom out. that's what a rack is for! :D

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:35:47 PM »
is this a trick question?

roc

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:55:10 AM »
barbell squats brother! no doubt. free weights always have more effect on the stablizer muscles.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 02:07:02 AM »
Can anyone explain to me if it's really that bad for the joints, if you train with proper technique? I've never had any problems.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »
Can anyone explain to me if it's really that bad for the joints, if you train with proper technique? I've never had any problems.

EXACTLY! Most people don't learn proper form with lighter weight before throwing a shitload of weight on trying to blow balls! Just like anything else, if you're form isn't there, neither will your lifts!!!  I never went over 225 for my first squatting sessions to make sure I was doing everything perfect before trying to add weight onto the bar.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
Adequate, good warmups, including stationary bike make a big difference, and keeping the reps moderate or high.

Barbell or smith all that matters is what you think is more effective, not what anyone else says. Personally i think barbell box squats & hack machine squats are the two best of all.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
cant speak from experience as far as smith machine squats are concerned since ive never done them, but one thing is for sure. barbell squats are AMAZING.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:15:15 PM »
Adequate, good warmups, including stationary bike make a big difference, and keeping the reps moderate or high.

Barbell or smith all that matters is what you think is more effective, not what anyone else says. Personally i think barbell box squats & hack machine squats are the two best of all.

Box squats are excellent for explosiveness, as well as keeping your depth in check.  I will use the smith machine at the end or for some squat jumps, it's a good way to mix it up.