Author Topic: How difficult is it to perform 20 strict pullups?  (Read 2862 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
How difficult is it to perform 20 strict pullups?
« on: April 01, 2007, 04:35:25 AM »
Could anyone reach that number through motivated training? Or would some genetic advantages (i.e. short arms, exceptional upper-body strength) be required?

I mean, if this guy can do it...  >:(

&NR=1

gtbro1

• Getbig V
Re: How difficult is it to perform 20 strict pullups?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:51:52 AM »
  That guy is full of shit.

Yeah....I bet they were intimidated by him....all 135 pounds of him. ::)

I like the comment underneath it...

" as a former marine, ill tell you the pullups are only one aspect of the physical fitness test. Although doing 21 is good you also have to run 3 miles in a 18:00 and perform 100 crunches to score a perfect. And even though i can't quite do 20 pullups to get a perfect score; my 6'5'' 230lb frame isn't afraid of your skinny ass. Maybe you should join and when an Iraqi terrorist runs up on you, you tell him to stop and perform pullups in front of him so he'll run away. "

hahahaha

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:15:48 AM »
that guy was FULL of SHIT...i was part of the Armed forces where i was serving my national service and we had an exchange programme with the US marines...and the US marines are phenomenal. U guy are one of the best when it comes to Urban warfare. Keep rawkin Marines....and as for that skinny faggered. He should be ashamed to call himself an American, prolly he should get fucked in the Ass with a pineapple...fuckin dickhead.
ur momma

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
And with his attitude he would surely last long in training.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »
well at about 100 lbs i guess not that hard.and im really sure the most anyone was getting was 2 reps.i weigh about 260 and can do 16 wide grip chins pretty strict.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »
if you want to see if you have legit good strength get your bodyweight to 250 (add weight with dipping belt) and see if you can do 10 full ROM palms away pullups without straps...any less isn't really a test.

These tiny guys should be able to do 100 pullups...really what's the big deal they are a buck 70.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »
I've done 26 chins before. I didn't go to full lockout but I wasn't too far from it. Quite an accomplishment considered I could only do 3-4 reps when I first started lifting. Close grip I can probably do more!
~

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »
I was in the Marines. When I went to boot camp, I was lucky to do 10, I could probably do about 7 or 8.
3 months later, 20 wasn't a problem. Matter of fact, I just bought a pull-up bar a few weeks ago, and I was still able to do 20, even after getting out way back in 96. I do a lot of bicep work, but hadn’t done a pull-up in years. Not to mention, I'm about 40 to 50 pounds heavier now.
If you work at them every day, you could do 20 in a few months, if not sooner.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 04:51:06 PM »
if i do strict reps i could probably get around 15 reps on a good day. i weigh 220 pounds and i have very long arms at 6'3 plus chins were never my best exercise. very frustrating. my goal is 30 reps, damn i have a way to go.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »
Could anyone reach that number through motivated training? Or would some genetic advantages (i.e. short arms, exceptional upper-body strength) be required?

I mean, if this guy can do it...  >:(

&NR=1

I've done 15 wide grip pullups at a bodyweight of 220!
just push some weight!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 04:32:35 AM »
A good way to increase your chins is to pick a rep goal,say 50 reps, and to do as many sets as it takes until the 50 reps is completed.

You can start out with a lower goal of course and add reps as strength allows.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 05:08:03 AM »
A good way to increase your chins is to pick a rep goal,say 50 reps, and to do as many sets as it takes until the 50 reps is completed.

You can start out with a lower goal of course and add reps as strength allows.

That is what I did.I could only do 3 when I started lifting...I swallowed my pride and I would do 3 at a time as many sets as I could and when I couldn't do 1 I quit...each week I did it again and after awhile I could do 10-12 per set then started adding weight.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
If that guy was flexible enough he would suck his own dick...what a douche.

I can do 25-30 wide grip palms away chin ups if i do them first in my routine. i also use a false grip with my thumbs on the same side as my hand.

I have friends in the marines who can crank out 20-30 everyday without any struggle.

8)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 02:10:10 PM »
do 20 reps easy all the way down and up...deadhang
not a big deal
choice is an illusion

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 04:36:10 PM »
do 20 reps easy all the way down and up...deadhang
not a big deal

you must be a little guy under 200 pounds?

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 12:13:21 AM »
yeah i'm small...

choice is an illusion

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
i can do 123 pull-ups in under 5 min

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 09:31:34 AM »
I think raw pullups are a great way to start/warm up on back day.  4-6 sets is plenty and you can alternate in front or behind the neck.  As posted above yes 10-12 is good for a heavier person who lifts lots of wieghts.  I think 12 would have been my max at 6ft4in 250'ish.  But again a lighter guy can do more and more power to em.

As for pushups I have seen smaller framed marines grind out 150'ish, impressive indeed.  I got into pushups at one time and could pump out 80 at my size.  When I worked in the Corps (conservation corps) we were on a flood response in northern California so I had no wieghts.  I did 1000 the first night after supper in the bunk-up gymnasium.  A day off and next day it was 1500, a day off and then 2000.  A day off and the next day I was going for 2500 throughout the day but my shoulders started grinding funny at 700'ish that morning.  Repetitive stress I guess and my body wasn't used to it.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »
10-12 legit full range of motion pulls ups, palms away, is very good for a 250 pounder.

Unfortunately, the marine style pullup is often without good form or range of motion.  I'm not saying all do it this way, but they do let you get away with shorter rom and some swinging.

Were yours bodybuilding type or marine type? 

Same with the pushups.  Marine style could be arms in close and upper body almost arcs upwards instead of shoulder to knees moving up and down with arms in bench press position.

Of course any way 2000 in a day is incredible, especially for your size.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 11:07:48 AM »
now I'm curious.. I haven't done pullups since I can remember. I only weigh a hair under 230 and can do pulldowns with 300 for sets. I would think 20 palms out wide grip pullups shouldn't be a problem. BUT it's free hanging body weight vs. being on a cabled up machine.  :-\ Today is back day. I should warm up with them!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
now I'm curious.. I haven't done pullups since I can remember. I only weigh a hair under 230 and can do pulldowns with 300 for sets. I would think 20 palms out wide grip pullups shouldn't be a problem. BUT it's free hanging body weight vs. being on a cabled up machine.  :-\ Today is back day. I should warm up with them!

230 is heavy, no doubt.  Do you use straps?  Try the pullups without straps.  If you could get 20 that would be very good.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 12:08:44 PM »
230 is heavy, no doubt.  Do you use straps?  Try the pullups without straps.  If you could get 20 that would be very good.

I don't use straps unless I can't hold onto anything anymore..

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 12:30:50 PM »
10-12 legit full range of motion pulls ups, palms away, is very good for a 250 pounder.

Unfortunately, the marine style pullup is often without good form or range of motion.  I'm not saying all do it this way, but they do let you get away with shorter rom and some swinging.

Were yours bodybuilding type or marine type? 

Same with the pushups.  Marine style could be arms in close and upper body almost arcs upwards instead of shoulder to knees moving up and down with arms in bench press position.

Of course any way 2000 in a day is incredible, especially for your size.

My pullups were always strict form, hanging on the bottom for about .5 second and to chin or upper chest.  My pushups were always tap chest and lockout as well.  I really am glad I struggled early in lifting because I was tall, now I really respond quickly.  I took almost a year off and now after a steady 3 months in the gym my arms are back to 19" cold. 

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »

My pullups were always strict form, hanging on the bottom for about .5 second and to chin or upper chest.  My pushups were always tap chest and lockout as well.  I really am glad I struggled early in lifting because I was tall, now I really respond quickly.  I took almost a year off and now after a steady 3 months in the gym my arms are back to 19" cold. 

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »

I think 20 would really rock but pausing at the bottom is helpful for the NEXT WORKOUT, not the next rep, hehe.  If you have ever seen "Total Recall" I will never forget when Arnold is in his apartment at the beginning (in holotank) and there is a video on of a guy doing pulldowns.  You can really see his muscles working in 2 definite stages, on the low lat pulling down, the second the rear delts and cuffs rotating in and tightly finishing the contraction.  I always try to think of that when doing back pulls.