Author Topic: forarms: barbell or dumbells?  (Read 1204 times)

The Hippie

• Getbig I
forarms: barbell or dumbells?
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:16:07 PM »
I have been using dumbells with my wrists on my knees, but now im using 40lb dumbells and its a little uncomfortable compared to on the padded bench, but the dumbells dont work very well with a bench.
i noticed that Arnold in his book used a barbell, so i figured id give it a try.

just curious how you train your forarms.

Joe

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: forarms: barbell or dumbells?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I have been using dumbells with my wrists on my knees, but now im using 40lb dumbells and its a little uncomfortable compared to on the padded bench, but the dumbells dont work very well with a bench.
i noticed that Arnold in his book used a barbell, so i figured id give it a try.

just curious how you train your forarms.

Joe
Look at Lee Priest in Another Blonde Myth.  (hint:  he used DB's on a bench) I think both would be a good idea.
Squishy face retard

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:33:30 AM »
I dont train my arms directly, I don't use straps in any of my back training, I feel this gives me a good forearm workout.
It hasn't helped...

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:46:50 AM »
I dont train my arms directly, I don't use straps in any of my back training, I feel this gives me a good forearm workout.
...but sub-par back workout : )

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »
i use a barbell and go for maximum stretch at the bottom i explode up and do extremly fast reps. i do this with a really light weight and the set ends when the bar drops. one set for barbell wrist curls like that. its works wonders. twice a week for six weeks and then go back to your normal stuff. i like it personally. its cool often times my forearms look like they've exploded up an inch. and then they'll sometimes grow a full inch in a six week time. its awesome. try it let me know what ya think.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »
my forearms get a million times more sore from back and trap training than from direct forearm work.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 05:49:26 AM »
my forearms get a million times more sore from back and trap training than from direct forearm work.

..BUT because they're used to that work anyway, a few sets just for themselves could be beneficial. If what you say is COMPLETELY true, I do agree with you btw, we'd never have to work our delts, bi's, and tri's from back and chest days as well. Doing forearm work has greatly increased my grip strength. Deadlifting alone, from a months worth of work, I'm able to pick up 480 without the aid of straps.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
Grip strength and forearm size don't necessarily correlate. I've found that dumbbells work better for me because of less restriction in ROM, but barbells still have a place in my forearm work.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
focus on the big muscle groups, and the forearms will grow with the rest of you.  If you do enough triceps and biceps. Your forearms will grow to keep up.  If you are doing bench and incline always use dumbells. You will build more mass this way.

The Hippie

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »
i find with teh barbel its hard to balance, especialy when trying to do fast reps.  any way, ill try lots of fast reps tonight.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 01:02:59 AM »
i use both. usually one arm at a time wrist curls with dumbbells
and behind the back reverse curls with barbbell
Z

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 01:14:33 AM »
i use 3 exercises once per week, reverse grip bicep curl, behind the back wrist curls with barbell and wrist curls with dumbells - works wonders for my w anking  :D

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
...and behind the back reverse curls with barbbell

for me this is the BEST!!!! can use lots of weight with good form. I agree forearms get lot of indirect work from back training, but my genetics suck for forearms and they only grow (and very little i mean) with lots of direct workout.
 i prefer barbell, but use dumbells sometimes...reps between 12 and 15, lots of sets usually (4-6) 2 to 3 exercises...
 Oh, a detail, nowadays im doing forearms EVERY DAY!!!!   :o :o :o (but with less volume than i said above)

!

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »
i used to do forearm training but then i found it to be a waste of time (at least for me). my forearms get a great workout from back and a very good workout from biceps. i feel no need to train them at all. they still get sore, and my grip has no trouble keeping up with my ever increasing deadlift. also, my forearms have been increasing in size proportionately and steadily along with the rest of my body.

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 08:58:44 PM »
I found one way to do forearms that seems to beat just about everything.  Use a barbell and just sit down with it on a bench.  Put your wrists on your upper legs so they are parrallel and have just your hands and the barbell hanging over your knees.  Do wrist curls, but screw high reps.  Use a weight that you can get maybe 6 reps with by holding the contracted position for about 6 seconds on each rep. 

It's a little uncomfortable on your wrists because they are mashed up against your kneecaps, but this allows you to use more weight.  I used to do behind the back and wrist-on-bench forearm exercises but just don't see the point after doing these.