Author Topic: One arm DB presses  (Read 1149 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
One arm DB presses
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »
do any of you guys do one arm db shoulder presses? i added 2 sets with each arm after my usual 4 sets of barbell presses today and i couldn't believe how pumped and fatigued my shoulders got, only used an 85 for the first set and a 90 for the second set for six reps, i had to hold onto the bench with my free hand to keep balance but you can really feel the delt head working and you can really drop the db low almost to the side of the delt, you have to really concentrate on keeping the db close to your body and not let it drift outward.

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
Re: One arm DB presses
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 05:38:43 PM »
never tried it no. but sounds like it might be worth a shot.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:25:53 PM »
never tried it no. but sounds like it might be worth a shot.
awesome movement, the balancing makes the delt work harder IMO.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »
i used to do it with a kettlebell, the biggest one in my gym went up to 115 lbs, but that was used mainly for dips, i never saw anybody shoulder-pressing it.  also, if you press a kettlebell upside down, it becomes a great balancing exercise, awesome on the wrist.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
Nice thing about DB presses is the option of using a neutral grip with palms facing one another, as well as slight variations involving grips angled slightly forward or backwards from neutral. Serious delt burn either front or behind the head presses. Plus it's a lot easier on the shoulders for behind the neck because the grip's not rigid.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:34:21 AM »
Nice thing about DB presses is the option of using a neutral grip as well as slight offset angles either direction from neutral. Serious delt burn either front or behind the head presses. Plus it's a lot easier on the shoulders for behind the neck because the grip's not rigid.

Neutral Grip One Arm DB Standing Push Presses....sounds like a lot but it's a great explosive movement.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:58:41 AM »
Neutral Grip One Arm DB Standing Push Presses....sounds like a lot but it's a great explosive movement.

Or both arms, with back braced.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 08:20:31 AM »
i did a couple of local level stronman meets and one of the events at both of them was the one arm db clean and push press, we always had a lot of fun training that event, we would work up to around 5-6 heavy singles and then drop down and do some strict standing one arm presses, it was a lot of fun.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 08:50:44 AM »
The one arm,standing side DB press is one of the better movements for the whole shoulder girdle. Been one of my favorites and have been suggesting it for quite a while on GetBig. After cleaning the DB from a rack/bench, hold on to a solid support with the free hand. Usually the side of a PR or post at my gym. Allows more focus on the exercise, reducing the concern for keeping balance.

Don't know what a neutral grip is, but most guys will keep the fingers facing forward (knuckles facing to the rear) throughout the press. While  having the DB in line with the shoulders throughout the press (something like a PBN but with a DB) A few other guys will twist the DB as it gets closer to the top position. Take your pick, if there is any difference. Which ever way, the DB side press is a superior builder of massive delts.

ATTENTION SF: Seen a friend of mine use a 200lb DB+ for a slight jerk off the shoulders side presses ( I guess being about 5'7 and weighing 300lbs does have it advantages). Can add that to your own personal BS list, but it's true. Good Luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 09:27:05 AM »
The one arm,standing side DB press is one of the better movements for the whole shoulder girdle. Been one of my favorites and have been suggesting it for quite a while on GetBig. After cleaning the DB from a rack/bench, hold on to a solid support with the free hand. Usually the side of a PR or post at my gym. Allows more focus on the exercise, reducing the concern for keeping balance.

Don't know what a neutral grip is, but most guys will keep the fingers facing forward (knuckles facing to the rear) throughout the press. While  having the DB in line with the shoulders throughout the press (something like a PBN but with a DB) A few other guys will twist the DB as it gets closer to the top position. Take your pick, if there is any difference. Which ever way, the DB side press is a superior builder of massive delts.

ATTENTION SF: Seen a friend of mine use a 200lb DB+ for a slight jerk off the shoulders side presses ( I guess being about 5'7 and weighing 300lbs does have it advantages). Can add that to your own personal BS list, but it's true. Good Luck.
actually i beleive that JPM, i had a couple of training partners when i was training for those comps who did 200 and 210 respectively, i myself did 155 at around 205 bodyweight at the time, you can use big weight with the push style, some guys would deadlift it to their thight and clean it from there, i found that the clean was the hardest part.