Author Topic: Front Delts  (Read 1384 times)

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
Front Delts
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:33:37 PM »
Currently I keep my shoulder routine very basic and I'm not sure if I'm no doing enough or not.  All I do is bent-over lateral raises, seated shoulder press, and  seated lateral raises.

It seems like my rear and side delts are coming along quite nicely, but the fronts are lagging.  I would have thought that with me hitting bench press twice a week that they'd be good.

What's another exercise I can throw in there for front delts.  I don't want to do upright rows because of a rotator cuff injury either.  I was thinking about front raises, but Milos says they're only a shaping exercise. 

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Front Delts
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:46:17 PM »
Lots of possiblities:
Hammer-grip Seated Db Press
Reverse-grip Militaries
Palms-facing-up Front Raises
BB Front Raises
Cable Front Raises
Cable Unilateral Front Raises
Front Raises on Incline
Front Raises on Flat (lie on a bench and raise the db through a 180 degree ROM)
Rotation of Palms-facing-down, Palms-faicng-each-other, and Palm-facing up Db Raises (one at a time)
follow the arrows

The Heckler

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 10:59:40 PM »
Personally, I'm a big fan of the standing military press.  Not only does it hit the delts but it also works the stabilizers (abs, lower back, etc.).  Depending on how advanced you are in your training, you might want to cut benching back to one day per week.  On the other day you would normally bench, do nothing but shoulder work, militaries, etc.  The stronger the shoulder girdle gets, the more poundage you'll put on your bench.  Also don't forget to do rotator pre-hab.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:02:26 PM »
Shit, I forgot my personal favorite  :o
Clean and Presses!!!!!
follow the arrows

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:32:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice. 

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 04:32:09 AM »
Myself I probably hit the shoulders too hard but I do my presses of course, maybe 2 sets front lateral raises.  Then I do drop set front lateral raises.  First set is heavy with my palm up (opposite of conventional) and I go all the way up to vertical, alternated. Then I drop those and grab a DB that is 60% of the first set, 15sec pause, and grip it like a hammer curl going again all the way to the top and then just to parallel, as many as I can.  Seems to really fry my anterior heads.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:43 AM »
Personally, I'm a big fan of the standing military press.  Not only does it hit the delts but it also works the stabilizers (abs, lower back, etc.).  Depending on how advanced you are in your training, you might want to cut benching back to one day per week.  On the other day you would normally bench, do nothing but shoulder work, militaries, etc.  The stronger the shoulder girdle gets, the more poundage you'll put on your bench.  Also don't forget to do rotator pre-hab.

I second that! I do mine seated to take alot of hte leg drive out of it but still it's THE number one mass builder for shoulders. If I was looking to put serious size on my delts, I'd do this exercise and nothing more. Raises are nice but theyr'e not the seated military. AND your delts get hit enough from simple benching and back days if you don't workout like a nancy. I now do only upright rows and seated military presses for all my shoulder work.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
I would stick with your routine all you need is a pressing,side laterals and bent laterals. the front  delt will get hit with any upper body pressing movement. if you wanted too. you ciould do  front raise it the end of the soulder workout

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:29:32 AM »
Try front raises with an E-Z Curl bar.......medium grip,palms down.............great exercise.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
if you're hitting chest twice a week and also shoulder pressing once you might be overtraining front delts, remember that your shoulders are involved in everything you do in the gym even legs and back.

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:53:12 PM »
forgive me if I'm repeating, but I didn't read much of the responses because I'm a judgemental turd...

try this for a change on the front delts...

On shoulder day try a front raise with an olympic bar: space your hands with your thumb webs between the 2 knurled segments... weight up as needed... squeeze them at the top