Author Topic: Duke Lacrosse Case Charges to Be Dropped  (Read 4620 times)

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Duke Lacrosse Case Charges to Be Dropped
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
Colossus and Jag just said he doesn't represent them.  And how exactly is the "black community" supposed to speak out against a self appointed so-called representative?  They're all Americans.  There isn't some "black community" czar who can refute whatever Sharpton does or says.  There is no white, Asian, Hispanic, Polynesian, Middle Eastern, etc. representative either. 
I'll tell you how , by not letting him represent victims, who have been done wrong by white people.  How many times do u see a black victim with either Sharpton or Jackson beside them, representing them to the media .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
David Duke?  When did he ever speak for the white people?  Is that why Sharpton is still around and Duke isn't.

Exactly.  Never.  Did he claim to?  Yes.  And Duke isn't around? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I'll tell you how , by not letting him represent victims, who have been done wrong by white people.  How many times do u see a black victim with either Sharpton or Jackson beside them, representing them to the media .

So precisely which members of the "black community" are supposed to stop Sharpton from speaking his mind? 

I see lots of things on the media, but this is generally what the media wants us to see, not what is actually going on in America.  It is the media that picks and chooses what and who to showcase when it comes to race.     

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
TY to you both.

On a more important note, WTF is up with Sharptons hair? I mean seriously? Why does he perm it and wear it like a woman? That is an issue that needs dealing with :-\

I think that had to do with a close affinity with the late James Brown.
I once heard him talking about it on Jimmy Kimmel one night.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
oops... didn't know Beach already responded. Maybe I should read the entire thread first.  :-[
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2007, 12:03:04 AM »
I hope he never has the opportunity to prosecute another case. 

Ethics Charges Against Ex-Duke DA Mike Nifong Upheld by Disciplinary Committee
Friday, April 13, 2007

AP

DURHAM, N.C. —  A disciplinary committee rejected a request Friday to dismiss ethics charges against the former prosecutor in the Duke lacrosse case, who is accused of withholding critical DNA evidence from the defense.

The decision by the three-member panel came shortly after an hourlong hearing, at which committee chairman F. Lane Williamson repeatedly challenged the arguments made by attorneys for Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong.

"I just don't see where this gets you on your arguement to dismiss," Williamson said.

The North Carolina State Bar has accused Nifong with breaking several rules of professional conduct as he led the investigation into allegations three lacrosse players raped a stripper at a team party in March 2006.

This week, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper dismissed all charges in the case, and said the three players indicted were innocent and that his investigators concluded no attack occurred. In doing so, he portrayed Nifong as a "rogue" prosecutor who rushed the case by failing to verify the accuser's allegations.

"I don't want to make comments outside the courtroom," Nifong said after the hearing, surrounded by a swarm of reporters who following him down the street. "You'll have an opportunity to hear things I have to say inside the courtroom."

In January, after Nifong had turned the case over to Cooper's office, the bar accused the veteran prosecutor of failing to give the defense DNA test results that found genetic material from several men on the accuser's underwear and body, but none from any lacrosse player.

Nifong's attorneys denied he intentionally withheld the DNA evidence, saying he provided the defense with a report outlining test results months before a potential trial and gave notice the lab director would be called as an expert witness.

That shouldn't matter, said bar counsel Katherine Jean, because Nifong knew about the test results before he even won indictments against the three players. It's possible, she said, that with less capable defense counsel they might have chose to enter into a plea agreement, which is how the vast majority of criminal cases in North Carolina are resolved.

"It's scary when you think about a case like this case," Jean said. "These men might have pleaded guilty never knowing the DNA evidence was exculpatory. ... It's a scary concept."

The bar has also charged Nifong with lying to the court and to bar investigators, and for making misleading and inflammatory comments about the athletes under suspicion. Those issues were not addressed at Friday's hearing.

Nifong, who apologized to the three cleared players in a statement issued Thursday, could be disbarred if convicted. His ethics trial is scheduled to start in June. While there have been calls in Durham and elsewhere for Nifong to resign, his attorney said the veteran prosecutor has no intention of leaving office.

"Mr. Nifong was elected to be the DA of Durham County and he's served the people of Durham County for 29 years, and he intends to fulfill the duties he was elected to do," said his attorney, David Freedman.

Also Friday, a defense attorney retrieved the $100,000 bond posted by each of the former defendants, said Jermaine Patterson, head bookkeeper with the Durham County Clerk's Office. The players were originally released on $400,000 bond, though a judge reduced the amount to $100,000 for each player last June.

"The families of these young men want to see Mr. Nifong get what they believe he was ready to deny their sons, which is a fair hearing," said Brad Bannon, an attorney who represented one of the three players. "They don't want people rushing to judgment against him anymore than he rushed to judgment against their sons."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265903,00.html

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »

In January, after Nifong had turned the case over to Cooper's office, the bar accused the veteran prosecutor of failing to give the defense DNA test results that found genetic material from several men on the accuser's underwear and body, but none from any lacrosse player.

Nifong's attorneys denied he intentionally withheld the DNA evidence, saying he provided the defense with a report outlining test results months before a potential trial and gave notice the lab director would be called as an expert witness.

That shouldn't matter, said bar counsel Katherine Jean, because Nifong knew about the test results before he even won indictments against the three players. It's possible, she said, that with less capable defense counsel they might have chose to enter into a plea agreement, which is how the vast majority of criminal cases in North Carolina are resolved.

"It's scary when you think about a case like this case," Jean said. "These men might have pleaded guilty never knowing the DNA evidence was exculpatory. ... It's a scary concept."

What's really scary is... I doubt this is an isolated case. I'm sure there are plenty of other innocent defendants all over North Carolina... in fact the entire country who are railroaded into jail because of exculpatory evidence with held from the defense.

This is the type of crap that happens when people are more concerned with 'winning' rather than the truth
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
Duke D.A. pleads not guilty to criminal contempt

Disgraced former prosecutor Mike Nifong pleaded not guilty Thursday to criminal contempt charges stemming from his failure to turn over complete DNA testing results during the now-discredited Duke lacrosse rape case.

If found in contempt, Nifong could face up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.

As Durham County district attorney, Nifong led the investigation into a woman's allegations that she was raped at a 2006 lacrosse team party where she was hired as a stripper.

He won indictments against three lacrosse players, but eventually recused himself from the case, and state prosecutors dropped all remaining charges, saying the players were innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse."

Defense attorneys for the three falsely accused young men asked a judge to punish Nifong for initially telling the court he had turned over all DNA test results when he knew, and failed to disclose, that genetic material from multiple men was found on the accuser -- but none from any lacrosse player.

Nifong's attorney, Jim Glover, told Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III during the hearing Thursday that it wasn't about whether the statements were true or false but "were they willfully and intentionally false and were they also part of an effort ... to hide potentially exculpatory evidence."

Nifong was disbarred in June for more than two dozen violations of the state's rules of professional conduct during his prosecution of the lacrosse case.

During a hearing last month, he apologized and acknowledged there was "no credible evidence" that the three formerly charged players committed any of the crimes he accused them of.

He said then: "It is my hope that all of us can learn from the mistakes in this case, that all of us can begin to move forward."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/30/nifong.contempt.ap/index.html

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
Well, to be honest, there's still a great deal of controversy surrounding the Bush 'vote'.  ;D

Only by the side that lost, Judi.

Sour grapes that later turned into whine.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2007, 01:33:08 AM »
Nifong gets day in jail for criminal contempt in Duke rape case
Associated Press
Updated: August 31, 2007, 8:46 PM ET

DURHAM, N.C. -- The prosecutor who led the now-discredited rape case against three Duke University lacrosse players was held in criminal contempt of court Friday for lying to a judge when pursuing charges against the athletes.

Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III sentenced Mike Nifong to a day in jail. The former Durham County district attorney, who was already stripped of his law license and had resigned from office, had faced as many as 30 days.

"If what I impose with regard to Mr. Nifong would make things better or different for what's already happened, I don't know what it would be or how I could do it," Smith said.

Nifong showed no visible reaction when Smith handed down the sentence, and he left the courtroom with his wife, Cy Gurney.

Reading his decision from the bench minutes after the end of two days of testimony, Smith said Nifong "willfully made false statements" in September when he insisted he had given the defense all results from a critical DNA test.

Smith found that Nifong had provided the defense with a DNA testing report that he knew to be incomplete. The omitted data contained test results showing that DNA of multiple men, none of whom were lacrosse players, was on the accuser.

Smith said his decision was aimed at "protecting and preserving the integrity of the court and its processes." He said truthfulness is especially important when it comes to the rights of the accused to a fair trial.

When Nifong reports to jail at 9 a.m. next Friday, it will bring an end to the criminal case that began when a woman told police she was raped at a March 2006 party thrown by Duke's lacrosse team.

The team was initially vilified as Nifong -- in his first political campaign for district attorney -- told voters he wouldn't allow Durham to become known for "a bunch of lacrosse players from Duke raping a black girl."

Nifong went on to win indictments against three players -- Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans. But as the case against them progressed, it became clear Nifong's evidence was pitifully weak.

A state bar disciplinary committee later concluded Nifong manipulated the case to boost his chances at the ballot box, and he continued to pursue it even when it became clear the defendants were innocent.

State prosecutors eventually dropped all charges against the three men and declared them innocent victims of Nifong's "tragic rush to accuse."

Nifong recused himself after the state bar charged him with ethics violations, and he was disbarred in June for more than two dozen violations of the state's rules of professional conduct. He resigned a month later as district attorney.

Taking the stand in his own defense, Nifong insisted Friday he didn't intentionally lie about whether he had turned over the DNA evidence. But he acknowledged the report he gave defense attorneys was incomplete.

"I now understand that some things that I thought were in the report were in fact not in the report," Nifong said. "So the statements were not factually true to the extent that I said all the information had been provided."

A defense attorney found the omitted data amid 2,000 pages of documents Nifong gave the defense months after the initial report. Nifong said that by the time he realized the information wasn't in that report, "it had been corrected. The defendants already had it."

"It was never my intention to mislead this or any other court," Nifong said. "I certainly apologize to the court at this time for anything I might have said that was not correct."

Earlier Friday, the director of a private lab who prepared the DNA testing report said the omissions were a misunderstanding.

Brian Meehan said Nifong asked him to test DNA samples from lacrosse players to see whether any matched genetic material found on the accuser.

Although male DNA was found, no sample matched a lacrosse player. Results from the other unidentified men was referenced as "non-probative" material in the report given to defense attorneys, Meehan said.

Charles Davis, the attorney appointed to prosecute the contempt charge, asked Meehan whether Nifong's statement to the court -- that the report encompassed everything he had discussed with Meehan -- was true or false.

"It would be false because we don't include discussions in our reports," Meehan answered.

On Thursday, Meehan said he was the one who decided how to prepare the report stating no lacrosse player had been linked to the accuser. When Meehan was asked whether Nifong had asked him to leave anything out, Meehan answered, "No."

Defense attorney Jim Glover declined to comment after the hearing.

Finnerty's father, Kevin, said, "It's not a happy day for us, but we're thrilled the system works, that justice has happened, and we're moving on."

Joseph Cheshire, an attorney for Evans, said he felt sorry for Nifong's family, but not Nifong.

"I think what he did was willful and intentional and damaged seriously this state and the lives of these boys and their families," he said. "I don't feel sorry for Mike Nifong. Sorry if that sounds cruel, but I don't."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2999217

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
I think they should get some money.

Wrongly accused Duke players sue Durham, former DA
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 5, 2007, 12:59 PM ET

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Three former Duke lacrosse players falsely accused of rape filed a federal lawsuit Friday against disgraced prosecutor Mike Nifong, the city of Durham and the police detectives who handled the investigation.

The lawsuit calls the criminal case against Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans "one of the most chilling episodes of premeditated police, prosecutorial and scientific misconduct in modern American history."

Last month, the three men reportedly sought a $30 million settlement from the city, as well as and reforms in the legal process, saying they would file a lawsuit if the case was not settled.

According to the Durham Sun-Herald, the lawsuit alleges 22 separate "causes of action" against the defendants, including malicious prosecution and concealing and fabricating evidence.

The lawsuit also asks for a federal judge to appoint an independent monitor to oversee the city police department. The monitor would have the power to change department policies and the authority to hire and fire all department personnel, including the chief, according to the report.

"The city will conduct a full and thorough review of the plaintiffs' allegations in the complaint," the city said in a prepared statement, according to the report. "We understand that the complaint asserts claims against the city and its employees that appear to be based on untested and unproven legal theories. ... In light of that, the City Council has directed legal counsel to vigorously defend the city and city employees in court against this lawsuit."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3050259

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
Ex-lacrosse coach sues Duke   

CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina (AP) -- The former Duke University men's lacrosse coach who resigned last year amid allegations that three of his players raped a stripper has sued the university.

Mark Pressler now coaches at Division II Bryant University in Rhode Island.

Mike Pressler's lawsuit apparently stems from a financial settlement the school reached earlier this year with him, although school officials did not give details Friday. The players were later cleared of the charges.

The Herald-Sun of Durham reported Friday on its Web site that his lawsuit alleges the university broke the terms of the confidential settlement when university senior vice president John Burness made disparaging comments about him.

The newspaper reported that the lawsuit asks the state court to void the settlement and hold a trial on Pressler's claim of wrongful termination.

Duke's vice president and general counsel, Pamela Bernard, said the university was "disappointed that he is now trying to undo that agreement with an unfounded claim against Duke.

"We will address the matter through the legal process and insist on honoring our existing agreement."

Pressler did not return a call seeking comment Friday night, and his agent declined to comment.

Lacrosse players Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans were indicted last year on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense, after a stripper told police she was raped at a March 2006 party thrown by the team.

The players were later cleared by state prosecutors, who concluded no crime occurred and found the trio to be the innocent victims of former Durham County prosecutor Mike Nifong.

Nifong was disbarred for his actions in the case. He resigned from office and spent a night in jail after a judge held him criminal contempt of court for his conduct during the case. Pressler now coaches at Division II Bryant in Rhode Island.

In June, the three players reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Duke. Last week, they filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Nifong, the city of Durham and the police detectives who handled the case, among others.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/13/duke.lacrosse.ap/index.html