Author Topic: Any runners out there? need some input...  (Read 979 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Any runners out there? need some input...
« on: April 11, 2007, 05:15:49 AM »
been running for about 12 months--on the treadmill and on the streets---i get this wicked pain on the inside portion of my shin near the ankles....

any recommendations to help avoid this..besides the usual ''warm up properly, ice the area, and take ibuprofen" advice i get from everyone...
footloose and fancy free

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: Any runners out there? need some input...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:35:43 PM »
been running for about 12 months--on the treadmill and on the streets---i get this wicked pain on the inside portion of my shin near the ankles....

any recommendations to help avoid this..besides the usual ''warm up properly, ice the area, and take ibuprofen" advice i get from everyone...

I got different advice:

Take some time off.  Most runners just beat themselves into the ground and try to "push through the pain"  Cramps, tighness and problems like this tend to plague beginner runners becasue they get so excited in their progress they never take time off.

A better suggestion would be to take this to the injury/rehab board.  Sounds like shin splints but I'm not expert.

real597

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
When I went through the police academy they had us do exercises to strengthen the anterior tibialis muscle (the muscle opposite your calf that runs along the shin...Lee Priest's are HUGE). You can exercise them by walking on your heals, sitting in a chair lift you leg an inch or two off the ground and motion the alphabet with your big toe... sounds like crap but it works after awhile. We tried Advil, ice, shin wraps, but the pain only got better after strengthening that muscle.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:22:44 AM »
Check your shoes, are they worn out a certain side? Check out if the shoes are still supporting the foot properly.

ShadowSword25

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:13:41 AM »

Coming out of high school I had a professional coach who pushed me to my limit. I ran a 4:13 mile and broke the schools records before I left. I have some knowledge you might take a look at. I think you may want to look into Pronating and Supinating running shoes. Some people pronate or supinate when they run, putting more weight and twist on the inner portion of they're leg or the opposite. Some people also run flat footed (the motion of your whole foot landing as one instead of landing on your heel and rolling forward). I've had some problems with team mates and supination/pronation though, and that sounds like something you should take into account. Also, here's a test you can do to find out. Get a piece of cardboard roughly about two feet squared. Wet your feet, then stand on it. The impressions of your foot prints will be wet leaving the outline of where your body distributes your weight. Mine is wet on the outside with a large hole towards the inner part of my foot, that means I have to where ADDITIONAL arch support. As soon as I started doing that, I noticed a big difference. If the same happens to you, you may need additional arch support as well. But also check into pronation/supination. You can get info about that here..http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/pronation-supination.php

Good luck..
Get BIG, or get BENT

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 05:24:37 AM »
I got different advice:

Take some time off.  Most runners just beat themselves into the ground and try to "push through the pain"  Cramps, tighness and problems like this tend to plague beginner runners becasue they get so excited in their progress they never take time off.

A better suggestion would be to take this to the injury/rehab board.  Sounds like shin splints but I'm not expert.

YEs this is good advice, take 2 weeks off.  Do ellyptical(sp) or something.  I used to get splints when I ran a lot, then last summer I was running 6 days a week after considerable time off, never got splints.  Go figure.  I think it is just something that gets gradually worse and worse.

Also I just recalled a difference in shint splint/no shin splint training styles.  The time I didn't get splints even when running 6days a week I had been WALKING up to 12 miles for about a month before.  Those long walks really build your rythm, especially later on, say like after mile 8.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 06:04:55 AM »
-Take time off, doing other things that don't aggrevate, till completely better. Only when better can the following be done to accurately determine the source(s) of the problem:

-Once better, use a process of elimination. Just use the treadmill for a few weeks or a month, then only run for a few weeks or a month, but not both-find out which is causing the problem.

Once the cause is isolated and a little more time is taken to again let the pain subside, either avoid the exercise, or first try to modify the exercise to work around the problem.

For example when running try a grass surface and/or possibly upgrade sneakers.

With treadmill, try different inclines, which will shift the emphasis/strain on the legs.

Try slightly different form/pace-when i took shorter steps, the center of gravity shifted away from the front of the foot & off the shins.

Always ensure an adequate warmup. 3-4 minutes of walking at a good pace, standing on toes for reps, stretches, etc. then into the running.

-Only when nothing helps, entirely avoid the exercise & use substitutes - treadmill, actual running, elliptical, etc.