Author Topic: Dumbbell Deadlifts  (Read 1386 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Dumbbell Deadlifts
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »
Anyone do these?

I got a nerve thing. For whatever reason, barbell locks-out funny; right trap overworks. Not so much with db.   

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: Dumbbell Deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:33:19 PM »
Anyone do these?

I got a nerve thing. For whatever reason, barbell locks-out funny; right trap overworks. Not so much with db.   

I love them, it's easier on the body to take a neutral grip and have the DB's and your arms at the sides of your body instead of out front.

I also add a Power Shrug at the top during my warm-up sets to get some extra trap work in.

Finally, it's a great reason to use the 150's  ;D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:58:06 PM »
I love them, it's easier on the body to take a neutral grip and have the DB's and your arms at the sides of your body instead of out front.

I also add a Power Shrug at the top during my warm-up sets to get some extra trap work in.

Finally, it's a great reason to use the 150's  ;D

my college coach made  a player do those...looked funny to me though...

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »
Anyone do these?

you mean at the top of the lift?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:01:30 PM »
I like to do stiff-leg dumbbell deadlifts. I feel it more in my hamstrings then when I use a barbell.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:38:31 PM »

you mean at the top of the lift?

Yes, pulling the shoulders back.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:44:08 PM »
I like to do stiff-leg dumbbell deadlifts. I feel it more in my hamstrings then when I use a barbell.

yes i do stiff legged dumbbell deadlifts as well they work much better than a barbell since i can go down farther and get a better stretch. the size of the weights on the barbell prevent me from going down as far as i want and that is key in getting a good SLDL workout.

as for regular deadlifts, i usually stick with the traditional barbell.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »
I find that without using straps these don't work my back as well.  My grip lets me down then.  When I do barbell deads I don't use training straps though.
It hasn't helped...

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »
If you're doin 'deadlifts' with dumbells at your side...does that not mimic the momevent of a squat more than a deadlift?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
If you're doin 'deadlifts' with dumbells at your side...does that not mimic the momevent of a squat more than a deadlift?

See, this is my concern. I kinda move 'em front to side as I stand (or at least side forward to side rear, if that makes sense), and I'm thinking/feeling back for the most part.

Bad idea?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 08:17:30 AM »
See, this is my concern. I kinda move 'em front to side as I stand (or at least side forward to side rear, if that makes sense), and I'm thinking/feeling back for the most part.

Bad idea?

Actually, you're thinking too much.

DB squats are different...but not by much.  You're definetely bending more at the knees and sitting back with the DB's on your side, almost behind you and keeping your torso upright.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
DB's DL's (or BB) can be considered a like  version of a squat, but not giving the same effect. In any DL, the upper body and arms are holding the weight stable as the legs do the actual lifting. The difference being, that the weigh lifted in the DL is below the hip/back area. While in the squat, the weight used is well above the hip/back center of that important core, or pivot, point. Each will have a different dynamic on the legs and upper body. Lots of old exercise theory's about that center of power (hips/back and the ab wall) in heavy lifting. More power (and muscular development) seems to be generated with a weight being held below that center body area, for most people.. Hip lifts for example, where huge weights (usually with a enforced lifting belt and chain) can be hoisted in regular workouts. And most are done in the higher rep range.

DB's can work well when doing DL's. The point being that the thumbs are facing forward in a more natural position. And  more important, the knees are clearly out of the way of the lift. If you do not want to start the lift that low, with a pair of DB's, than place them on a set of heavy boxes/benchs, etc and stand in between. If you want to go lower when doing SLDL's, than stand on a box.

A trap/shrug bar would probably work best of all. Because,with DB's, they tend to rub against the thighs when a heavy weight is used. With the trap/shrug bar, this can not occur. In any event, DB or trap/shrug bar,the weight lifted is more along side and inline with the natural lifting force of the body when coming to a standing position. That a equate to less injury potential in the long run. Good Luck.
F

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:14:08 AM »
DB's DL's (or BB) can be considered a like  version of a squat, but not giving the same effect. In any DL, the upper body and arms are holding the weight stable as the legs do the actual lifting. The difference being, that the weigh lifted in the DL is below the hip/back area. While in the squat, the weight used is well above the hip/back center of that important core, or pivot, point. Each will have a different dynamic on the legs and upper body. Lots of old exercise theory's about that center of power (hips/back and the ab wall) in heavy lifting. More power (and muscular development) seems to be generated with a weight being held below that center body area, for most people.. Hip lifts for example, where huge weights (usually with a enforced lifting belt and chain) can be hoisted in regular workouts. And most are done in the higher rep range.

DB's can work well when doing DL's. The point being that the thumbs are facing forward in a more natural position. And  more important, the knees are clearly out of the way of the lift. If you do not want to start the lift that low, with a pair of DB's, than place them on a set of heavy boxes/benchs, etc and stand in between. If you want to go lower when doing SLDL's, than stand on a box.

A trap/shrug bar would probably work best of all. Because,with DB's, they tend to rub against the thighs when a heavy weight is used. With the trap/shrug bar, this can not occur. In any event, DB or trap/shrug bar,the weight lifted is more along side and inline with the natural lifting force of the body when coming to a standing position. That a equate to less injury potential in the long run. Good Luck.

Very helpful. Thank you.