Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
December 12, 2019, 04:17:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 451265 times)
avxo
Getbig V

Iron Pumping University Math Professor

« Reply #700 on: November 16, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »

You are obviously free to disagree.  My oft-repeated saying, which you are free to borrow, is that reasonable and unreasonable minds can disagree.   Smiley

That much we agree on. That's something.

Seriously, though, there is definitely a great deal of analysis that goes into Bible study and interpretation.  The Bible itself even says you need to compare scripture with scripture.  And yes, you definitely need to apply common sense if you want a reasonable interpretation, which goes hand in hand with context. 

I know there is a great deal of analysis; that's the whole point of pastors "explaining" the Bible, isn't it? To be perfectly honest, I do very much enjoy hearing radio pastors who role-play as experts in exegetics and apologetics and regularly twist themselves into knots to justify just about anything.

Of course, there's the simple fact that no amount of analysis works sometimes. You know what they say: "garbage in, garbage out."

There are some things I don't understand, but much of it I do.  And I use my own judgment.  I apply logic.  Use faith where I think it's necessary.  It makes things relatively uncomplicated.  And I have no problem disagreeing with other Christians who have a different viewpoint, which has happened a number of times.

I can respect that position.

What I don't do is let anyone tell me how I'm supposed to interpret what I read or how I live my life. 

I can respect that position as well. You're certainly free to interpret what you read in any way you want, but you do so at your peril since, ultimately, you are responsible for your actions and not the book you read. And while you are free to live your life in any way you see fit, that freedom doesn't allow you to try to force your sense of morality on your personal beliefs on others, nor does it entitle you to claim that the Bible proposes a divine and inerrant moral code if you believe that it's open to interpretation.
Report to moderator   Logged
Dos Equis
Getbig V

I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

« Reply #701 on: November 18, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

That much we agree on. That's something.

I know there is a great deal of analysis; that's the whole point of pastors "explaining" the Bible, isn't it? To be perfectly honest, I do very much enjoy hearing radio pastors who role-play as experts in exegetics and apologetics and regularly twist themselves into knots to justify just about anything.

Of course, there's the simple fact that no amount of analysis works sometimes. You know what they say: "garbage in, garbage out."

I can respect that position.

I can respect that position as well. You're certainly free to interpret what you read in any way you want, but you do so at your peril since, ultimately, you are responsible for your actions and not the book you read. And while you are free to live your life in any way you see fit, that freedom doesn't allow you to try to force your sense of morality on your personal beliefs on others, nor does it entitle you to claim that the Bible proposes a divine and inerrant moral code if you believe that it's open to interpretation.

There is no peril in how I interpret the Bible or how I live my life. 

Regarding forcing my sense of morality or personal belief on others, I never do that so not sure what you're talking about. 

And I can claim whatever I want about what the Bible proposes, just like you or anyone else can.  My viewpoint is my viewpoint.  Yours is yours.   

What exactly are we debating here anyway?  lol 
Agnostic007
Getbig V

« Reply #702 on: November 28, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »

There is no peril in how I interpret the Bible or how I live my life. 

Regarding forcing my sense of morality or personal belief on others, I never do that so not sure what you're talking about. 

And I can claim whatever I want about what the Bible proposes, just like you or anyone else can.  My viewpoint is my viewpoint.  Yours is yours.   

What exactly are we debating here anyway?  lol 

Obviously you know more about what Jesus said than.....Jesus....  Roll Eyes
Dos Equis
Getbig V

I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

« Reply #703 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

Obviously you know more about what Jesus said than.....Jesus....  Roll Eyes

I know what He said by reading what He said.  But thanks for another meaningless troll post. 
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!