Author Topic: SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS ON THE SAME DAY????????????  (Read 1329 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS ON THE SAME DAY????????????
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
would this be ok considering that the lower back will have a week to recover?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS ON THE SAME DAY????????????
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »
YES!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »
YES!!
yeah i think it's fine too, my back will be somewhat fatigued when i'm finished with squats but not like the day after which is what i've been doing lately.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »
Back in the day,tons of powerlifters did deads after squatting.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:08:15 AM »
I agree with both Sf and Wes. If you doing both the correct way, than there should really not be problem. If fact, a quality squat workout can warm up the body for the DL. I've also done SLDl's after squating with good results. A little bias here, the SLDL is on of my favorite exercises. Do not know why some guy's think they are so delicate that they may break in half, if they include squats & DL's in the same workout. OD'ing on T&A glossy muscle mag's, probably. Good Luck.
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
I agree with both Sf and Wes. If you doing both the correct way, than there should really not be problem. If fact, a quality squat workout can warm up the body for the DL. I've also done SLDl's after squating with good results. A little bias here, the SLDL is on of my favorite exercises. Do not know why some guy's think they are so delicate that they may break in half, if they include squats & DL's in the same workout. OD'ing on T&A glossy muscle mag's, probably. Good Luck.

I'd alternate them as to which lift goes in which order during your leg days if that's the case. If you squat heavy your deads will suffer. I like SLDL's instead on leg days instead of standard dead lifts for the hams but regular deadlifts will work great for sure. I just find it hards to really push the deads after heavy squatting.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 06:11:50 AM »
I did heavy deads and then squats and I had to lighten the load drastically while squatting because my back couldn't take it.

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 06:38:58 AM »
If you experience low back pain then you may need to split them up, otherwise have fun.  I don't do them on the same day anymore because I don't want to risk having my low back being fatigued when I squat or deadlift because of the risk of injury.  I deadlift twice a week on opposite days of squatting.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »
I trust most guy's here are doing the BB'ing version of the squat. Bar high up on the traps, shoulders back/chest out and in line with the spine and hips/glutes as much as possible for their body type. Even placing a 2X4, BB plates, etc under the heels will keep the body more inline when doing this exercise. Will also place more focus on the quads themselves. And reduce stress on the lower back. Squats are a primary leg exercise, not a lower back exercise.

If your grunting and groaning and the upper body is bent over, chest caved in, while the bar is resting somewhere between the middle and lower trap (or even half way down the back...which I have seen...looking more  like a GM'ing exercise than a squat), than your doing the exercise totally wrong. And of course you lower back will bother you. Use a weight you can handle first of all,in a correct style, so the legs get the brunt of the work, not the lower back. And do them in the usual BB'ing rep range of 8-12 reps for awhile and see what happens to your quad development.Good Luck.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
One week,squat a bit lighter for reps/form,and deadlift heavy afterwards.......next week,squat heavy,followed by lighter deadlifts............... not wussy light,but for good reps of 8-10.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »
One week,squat a bit lighter for reps/form,and deadlift heavy afterwards.......next week,squat heavy,followed by lighter deadlifts............... not wussy light,but for good reps of 8-10.

i decided against it, what i'm doing is training legs and squats on Wednesday and then doing Deads on Sunday, my top set on squats Wed. was 525 for 6 to at least parallel so i don't think i'll be deadlifting after that.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 04:53:45 PM »
I don`t blame you......damn good numbers!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 06:07:30 PM »
I don`t blame you......damn good numbers!!
thanks Wes my goal for right now is to incraese my pull big time, last Sunday my last work set was 465 for 5 so you can see not very good for mt bodyweight of 230, the last time i pulled a single on a day when i was really feeling good i did 535 but i don't do max attempts ever.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Not too shabby at all really.......just keep adding a 2 1/2 to the bar when you can and before you know it,it`ll be way up past your previous best.

riverdragon169

• Getbig I
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »
I've been squatting and deadlifting on the same day for years. My lower back gets pumped sometimes but after I squat I train calves and then deadlift...that gives my back a little time to recover. It's tough getting through at first but your body will get used to it.