Author Topic: IS ANYONE HERE INTO BB'ING OR LIFTING????????????/  (Read 3702 times)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: IS ANYONE HERE INTO BB'ING OR LIFTING????????????/
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 09:14:05 AM »
no i just like to talk shit,and eat chicken wings :)

bench

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
Well, from the way your squat seems to have a hit a wall like that...and that is hitting the wall...my first guess is that you may be overtraining. I have seen guys plenty of times do things like bench 315 three or fours weeks in a row and get few reps, then they will suddenly be back to benching 300 and struggling.

Some times you need to back away from the heavy stuff and even the lifts when you start to get stale. I would try the different deads for a few weeks...racks deads about mid shin you will be stronger then from the floor...using 25 lbs plates from the floor is tough and you not be able to do as much as a normal dead. Both are great for working on weaknesses.

I would say if you are stuck on either deads or squats with the same weight (or are going backwards at all) to stop doing them for a couple of weeks...I know you will feel like you are lsoing something but you are not. A small break is good sometimes. When was the last time you took a few days off all together? In this case, just with this small bit of info, I would say that I persoanlly would not squat or dead for one week...leg press and do hypers or good mornings for a week.

Then try the different deads for two or three weeks doing 5-6 hard reps. I do not like 1-2-3 reps in every day training unless it is for a show. When I say do 6 reps I do not mean do 1 2 3 4 5 6 easy and put it down...5 and 6 are brutal, almost failure reps. Do that off the pins or with small plates for a couple of weeks and then try the regular deads. Also try a little less weight and take off your belt for these...when you go back to the floor with belt and regular style you will see a difference.

This is great advice. The last time I took a significant break was right after I finished my HIT cycle and that was 5 days off. I took the past 2 days off as well. I'm ready to hit quads today. My other leg exercises are improving thankfully but not my squats. I'm going to take a break from them as you say and take advantage of this period of my leg press and hack squats going up.

I really like the idea of alternating from low deads (w/ 25s) and rack pulls. I'm going to try that for a few weeks before I return to the regular deadlift and see what happens!
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
~

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »
According to some on this board I'm entirely a lifter. I'm shocked and somehwat appauled that some people here don't give two shits about strength. My BB lifestyle is the result of my love of lifting and getting stronger.

why what can you lift?

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 11:20:34 AM »
why what can you lift?

But to make myself feel better I'll gladly mention that I can DB row 125 (heaviest db in my gym) for 19+ full reps and BB row 255 for reps.
~

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »
hey Figgs, 2 questions

1. Are you still HIT training or have you wised up and started volume?
2. Did you "hit" that girl yet?
Here comes the money shot

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 11:27:31 AM »
im sorry to inform you that 255 is a mediocre bent row. and 125's are pretty light.

theres nothing to be shocked about. good lifts, nothing out of the ordinary.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »
im sorry to inform you that 255 is a mediocre bent row. and 125's are pretty light.

theres nothing to be shocked about. good lifts, nothing out of the ordinary.
He's 18 yrs old. Thats a damn good lift.
follow the arrows

finurface

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
hey fartfather, are you into bbing or lifting? cause you dont look like u ever lifter a weight of your life.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
He's 18 yrs old. Thats a damn good lift.

didnt know he was 18. decent lift. i was stronger as an eighteen year old. i have a video of me at 19 inclining 315 for five at about 220 5'10.

i also know a 15 year old that can bench 285. and he is not big at all. its crazy..

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
didnt know he was 18. decent lift. i was stronger as an eighteen year old. i have a video of me at 19 inclining 315 for five at about 220 5'10.

i also know a 15 year old that can bench 285. and he is not big at all. its crazy..

Holy shit!  :o

Whats your lifts like now? Thats some insane strength.
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
hey Figgs, 2 questions

1. Are you still HIT training or have you wised up and started volume?

He was head over heels about HIT then like a maniac changed in about a week into complete hate mode after raving about it for months.This despite grudging acknowledgement that it helped in terms of development, which didn't matter apparently because he "lost a whole 20 lb. on one lift" in the process. ::) Wrong priorities, very short-term perspectives.

Very little explanation, thinks this is normal. If he is 18 (it's probably a little older) i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this is something he'll grow out of.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »
Holy shit!  :o

Whats your lifts like now? Thats some insane strength.

heaviest i ever got was 240(i dont take drugs).

deads was 600
bench was 405
military was 315 for three
curl 100's for a rep or two
bent row 365.

i say was. because i tore my tricep when i switched over to dc. it was brutal and hasnt been the same. im getting some active release therapy done next week which should help. my strongest muscle is my delts. i just turned 22.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
He was head over heels about HIT then like a maniac changed in about a week into complete hate mode after raving about it for months.This despite grudging acknowledgement that it helped in terms of development, which didn't matter apparently because he "lost a whole 20 lb. on one lift" in the process. ::) Wrong priorities, very short-term perspectives.

Very little explanation, thinks this is normal. If he is 18 (it's probably a little older) i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this is something he'll grow out of.

Let me sum it up for you once again because I sympathize with the fact that you're a little bit hard-headed. I read Mentzer's book HIT the Mike Mentzer Way and was captivated by his seemingly literary genius and was decieved to believe that MAXIMUM intensity was what is the most productive method of training. I gave my BB idol too much hope, which was my biggest mistake. This was before I found out he was a lunatic.

HIT did make me bigger but weaker at the same time. MUCH weaker. 20 lbs. on average was taken from each lift. My squats are still 50 lbs. from what they were. And as I explained in this thread, strength is a priority for me. And HIT was a major blow to my strength.
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »
heaviest i ever got was 240(i dont take drugs).

deads was 600
bench was 405
military was 315 for three
curl 100's for a rep or two
bent row 365.

i say was. because i tore my tricep when i switched over to dc. it was brutal and hasnt been the same. im getting some active release therapy done next week which should help. my strongest muscle is my delts. i just turned 22.

Those lifts are insane. I'll never reach them naturally because I'm nowhere close after 2 years of training. You're a freak.
~

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 11:58:04 AM »
Let me sum it up for you once again because I sympathize with the fact that you're a little bit hard-headed. I read Mentzer's book HIT the Mike Mentzer Way and was captivated by his seemingly literary genius and was decieved to believe that MAXIMUM intensity was what is the most productive method of training. I gave my BB idol too much hope, which was my biggest mistake. This was before I found out he was a lunatic.

HIT did make me bigger but weaker at the same time. MUCH weaker. 20 lbs. on average was taken from each lift. My squats are still 50 lbs. from what they were. And as I explained in this thread, strength is a priority for me. And HIT was a major blow to my strength.

I've gone back to something near HIT and my physiaque is growing like crazy, down in a few lifts but i don't care as i look and feel better!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »

Bottom line you're not very bright. 20 lb. is NOTHING, would probably also happen on Milos' program. You gained physically, yet attacked HIT for it like a rabid dog for the silliest of reasons. Why are you on a BB site if strength is the priority?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 12:04:28 PM »
I've gone back to something near HIT and my physiaque is growing like crazy, down in a few lifts but i don't care as i look and feel better!

ta ta

Because you're accomplishing something called bodybuilding. Someone explain to our short-sighted macho man here worred about 20 lb. that HIT or other programs including Milos' might result in that; no big deal. Talk about insecure.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
Those lifts are insane. I'll never reach them naturally because I'm nowhere close after 2 years of training. You're a freak.

well for only two years of training your lifts are very good. i started when i was around fourteen.

and i wasnt strong when i started honestly. i can remember pressing 20's for shoulders and my arms buckling. i just got stronger very fast. i found that when i worked out with much stronger guys and watched them move a weight i kinda treated the weight as a must for some reason.  i think mentally it helped. i use to think curling 50's was strong when i was a kid. until my training partner did it easily.

you could get there. keep going.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »
Bottom line you're not very bright. 20 lb. is NOTHING, would probably also happen on Milos' program. You gained physically, yet attacked HIT for it like a rabid dog for the silliest of reasons. Why are you on a BB site if strength is the priority?

Why shouldn't I care about my strength? I don't understand this logic. I work out to improve my appearance, yes, but I go to the gym everyday with the goal of exceeding past lifts. That's just natural! Why shouldn't I thoroughly enjoy my lifts going up?

20 lbs. is a big deal when it takes 2-3 months to build it back up! I'm no longer moving past my peak from workout to workout, I'm training to reclaim my physical peak. It's a damn pain in the ass.

well for only two years of training your lifts are very good. i started when i was around fourteen.

and i wasnt strong when i started honestly. i can remember pressing 20's for shoulders and my arms buckling. i just got stronger very fast. i found that when i worked out with much stronger guys and watched them move a weight i kinda treated the weight as a must for some reason.  i think mentally it helped. i use to think curling 50's was strong when i was a kid. until my training partner did it easily.

you could get there. keep going.

That's extremely motivating. You have a lifetime of experience. I could only hope right now but I'm going to keep it up.
~

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
I'm into both.  Recently I've been trying to progressively overload my muscles by increasing lever length rather than weight lifted.  Your body is the ultimate gym.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 01:04:26 PM »
Why shouldn't I care about my strength? I don't understand this logic. I work out to improve my appearance, yes, but I go to the gym everyday with the goal of exceeding past lifts. That's just natural! Why shouldn't I thoroughly enjoy my lifts going up?

20 lbs. is a big deal when it takes 2-3 months to build it back up! I'm no longer moving past my peak from workout to workout, I'm training to reclaim my physical peak. It's a damn pain in the ass.

No it isn't, trust me. It's very very easy to get back 20 lb., the more important thing in any program is to continue with it as long as it's working, not give up because of small changes in strength.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »
He was head over heels about HIT then like a maniac changed in about a week into complete hate mode after raving about it for months.This despite grudging acknowledgement that it helped in terms of development, which didn't matter apparently because he "lost a whole 20 lb. on one lift" in the process. ::) Wrong priorities, very short-term perspectives.

"lost a whole 20 lb lift on one lift" is an exaggeration youre using to back up your argument. its obvious he decreased significantly why else would he stop. understandable that HIT did work for him in terms of development but sometimes you need to weigh out the good and the bad of a training program. he got A LOT weaker. look i know bodybuilding is all about physique but how can you sit back and watch yourself get weaker? you dont get big to stand around and look pretty unless youre a competitive bodybuilder. to a certain degree, you want functional strength that lives up to your mass as long as you dont get blind-sighted by these feats of strength.

how can you not relate to the feeling of accomplishment associated with increasing in strength? sure strength goals are very short-term, but its these short-term accomplishments that motivate you for the long-term you plan on achieving. but i guess you have too much will and desire to need "short-term" accomplishments  ::)

why are you being so hard on him? he obviously places enough emphasis on his muscular development judging by his pictures. since HIT did not generate an unreal amount of muscular development, i think its perfectly reasonable to ditch that program and look for one that suits both his short-term and long-term priorities.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 01:39:15 PM »
Perfect post nodeal. Pumpster, it's your turn.
~

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »
figgs, like someone already suggested, go easy on the squat for awhile.

But I would suggest one more thing.

When you go back to squatting, alternate heavy weeks and light weeks.

When you do your heavy week, do 3-4 really heavy sets for 5 reps.

Next week, do 4 sets, 5 reps again, but back off the weight, 30-40 lbs.

That way you'll give your body time to recuperate for the heavy squat sessions.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise