Author Topic: IS ANYONE HERE INTO BB'ING OR LIFTING????????????/  (Read 3697 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Re: IS ANYONE HERE INTO BB'ING OR LIFTING????????????/
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »
figgs, like someone already suggested, go easy on the squat for awhile.

But I would suggest one more thing.

When you go back to squatting, alternate heavy weeks and light weeks.

When you do your heavy week, do 3-4 really heavy sets for 5 reps.

Next week, do 4 sets, 5 reps again, but back off the weight, 30-40 lbs.

That way you'll give your body time to recuperate for the heavy squat sessions.

-Hedge

Intriguing. That alternating sounds good but what's the point of doing squats at all if you don't go to failure? Might as well be a warm up to me.
~

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
Re: IS ANYONE HERE INTO BB'ING OR LIFTING????????????/
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45:08 PM »
Let me sum it up for you once again because I sympathize with the fact that you're a little bit hard-headed. I read Mentzer's book HIT the Mike Mentzer Way and was captivated by his seemingly literary genius and was decieved to believe that MAXIMUM intensity was what is the most productive method of training. I gave my BB idol too much hope, which was my biggest mistake. This was before I found out he was a lunatic.

HIT did make me bigger but weaker at the same time. MUCH weaker. 20 lbs. on average was taken from each lift. My squats are still 50 lbs. from what they were. And as I explained in this thread, strength is a priority for me. And HIT was a major blow to my strength.

Figgs, some people equate HIT to training hard, but under training...thus they call for the high volume. If you are doing HIT...whcih I am familiar with and do a modified version of it myslef...and loosing strenght, you are actually doing too much...even if it is not as many sets or reps. Overtraining has nothing to do with the amount of sets and reps you do in the gym. It has to do with how you recover. If you are doing true HIT right out of the book and...I am not saying this is what you are doing, I am just speculating...and going in reverse you are either not eating properly, sleeping enough, or taking enough rest in between really intense workouts. HIT is brutal if you do it too often and it is all you do. I rotate frequently...some weeks doing HIT...some weeks doing vloume. From what you have been posting I assume you already know about protien intake and sleep, so I would say rotating HIT and volume might work for you. If I am healthy, I rarely go through stretches of loosing strength. The only times I ever dip is when I stop taking all supplements for a weeks to clean myself out...creatine etc. and those weeks I simply switch to volume until I feel like myslef again. Let me know how you make out with the deads...glad I could help.
$