Author Topic: Fact about American Pit Bull Terriers....  (Read 20550 times)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Fact about American Pit Bull Terriers....
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:14:57 AM »
According to The American Temperament Test Society the American Pit Bull Terrier showed a passing rate of 95% compared to 77% for all other breeds tested.

They tested 122 breeds and the 95% passing rate of the APBT was one of the highest.

What is temperament?

"the sum total of all inborn and acquired physical and mental traits and talents which determines, forms and regulates behavior in the environment"

http://www.atts.org/index.html

"Pit bulls are famous, in circles of knowledgeable dog people, for the love and loyalty they bestow on anyone who shows them a smidgen of kindness."
-- Linda Wilson-Fuoco, journalist

body88

Re: Fact about American Pit Bull Terriers....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »
Few more facts

Pitbulls do not have a "lock jaw" that once engaged they cannot "unlock"

Originally Pitbulls where bred to be very loyal / tolerant of humans

Pitbulls make great working dogs... Drug Sniffing, Police k9, Therapy dog etc etc

Pitbulls are extremely intelligent / loyal

Pitbulls are targeted by dog fighters for there unmatched "game", loyalty,superior athletic ability, and toughness. Pits are exploited far worse then any other breed for these reason.

Pitbulls are not born aggressive

Pitbulls are perfectly normal dogs if raised correctly

Pitbulls do not think "who can I bite next" when walking around there yard

Pitbulls are dominant dogs, who need to be raised like any other dominant breeds

The media had a definite bias towards pitbulls

Pitbulls are targeted by thugs and criminals for there image, and muscular build (not there fault) Since this breed is often targeted by people who have no idea how to raise animals, or by people who get a dog then train/encourage it to attack people, when something happens the breed takes all the blame.

99 percent of pitbull /Dog attacks could be prevented if people where not morons

Most who are critics know little to nothing about the breed

A 200 lb, untrained, intact, male St Bernard could kill you much easier then a 65 lb pit.

Some of the greatest people in history have owned pitbulls

Petey from little rascals was a pit

You have a better chance of being killed by lightning then by a pitbull terrier

I have owned a pure bred, intact, pitbull terrier. He was the sweetest dog in the world. I own a 90 lb American bulldog currently. My gf owns a 10 lb silky terrier. The Silky is by far the most aggressive dog I have ever owned. I started to work with the dog because since the silky was so small, the wife never took the time to train/socialize her. Guess what, she is aggressive and dominant. If you let aggressive behavior slide, and do not take the time to raise a dog correctly it is going to be a problem. Sadly a lot of the people who own pits fall into this category. They need proper training and socialization. They need exercise and mental stimulation. They needs rules and guidelines. No different the a Shepard or a Doberman. No different then a 10 lb min pin. How do the kids of bad parents usually turn out? Same shit applies to people who buy pitbulls for all the wrong reasons.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »
^ good post.... add on a couple more...

--- The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.

--- Pits Bulls were refered to as the "nanny dog" because they are so good around children.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:32:01 AM »
APBT are the number one dog used for US customs. 

An APBT won more medals in WWI than any other dog in military history.

Famous names who owned and loved pits:

Teddy Roosevelt
Jack Johnson
Helen Keller

body88

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 11:48:50 AM »
APBT are the number one dog used for US customs. 

An APBT won more medals in WWI than any other dog in military history.

Famous names who owned and loved pits:

Teddy Roosevelt
Jack Johnson
Helen Keller

Good post traps. Bunch more on this list.

Fred Astaire, President Roosevelt, Jack Dempsy, Thomas Edison, Madonna, Michael J Fox, Brad Pitt, Bernadette Peters, Sinbad, Alicia Silverstone, Linda Blair, Humphrey Bogart, Usher, Mel Brooks, Ann Bancroft, John Stuart, Jan Michael Vincent, Pink (the singer), Kelli Williams (Actress from The Practice), Ken Howard (Father in Crossing Jordon - his Pit Shadow saved his life), Malcolm Jamal Warner, Stephan Jenkins, Rosie Perez, Ananda Lewis, Amy Jo Johnson, Mary Tyler Moore, Steve and Terrie Erwin (Crockhunters), Jack Johnson (Hawaiian singer), Bill Berloni (Broadway show dog trainer who has said that the Pit is the breed of choice for training), Anthony Robbins, Molly Price (Actress from Third Watch), President Woodrow Wilson, Frankie Muniz, AJ Mclean, Barbara Eden, and even Helen Keller have been lucky enough to own this magnificent animal.

In 1917 a Pit Bull by the name of Sgt. Stubby became a war hero for saving several soldiers lives and even capturing a German Spy while in the trenches of France with the 26th Yankee Division.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:21:03 PM »
best thread on the subject....keep going guys! 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 05:27:39 AM »
What dog breed is percentagewise behind most injuries and deaths?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 06:07:21 AM »
What dog breed is percentagewise behind most injuries and deaths?

-Hedge

The dog with the most biting incidents in my country is the Golden retriever... :-\
They are responsible for the most biting incidents to children particular the face wounds.... ::)
They are breading the dogs by demand of the people regardless if the dogs are a good match or not. Accidents are just a matter of time.......
?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 07:00:49 AM »
The dog with the most biting incidents in my country is the Golden retriever... :-\
They are responsible for the most biting incidents to children particular the face wounds.... ::)
They are breading the dogs by demand of the people regardless if the dogs are a good match or not. Accidents are just a matter of time.......

Percentagewise? :-\

I doubt it.

I would think that golden retrievers are the most popular breed, and I doubt that they are overrepresented in any stat.

But if you are right, I stand corrected.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 07:25:03 AM »
It's not the dog..it's the owner...any argument otherwise is idiotic...no dog should be left alone with children...end of story...i got bit by a yorkie, and my sister's yorkie bit three people...
footloose and fancy free

body88

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »

I doubt it.

I would think that golden retrievers are the most popular breed, and I doubt that they are overrepresented in any stat.

-Hedge

There is no national registry for information on dog bites. Most communities keep there own bite stats. This single fact makes dog bite stats severally flawed from the start. When a dog bites a person it is reported by the victim. In many cases they report the dog as one type of dog when infact it is a mix of several breeds, or a totally diff breed then what they say. Take my American bulldog for example. Many people mistake him for a very large pitbull. Although he is a bully breed, he is actually a mastiff. He is not a terrier.

The CDC admits as much in there bite study (how the study is flawed). They list a pitbull as a "pitbull type". Obviously since that would include about 10 diff breeds, and any dog that someone thought was a pitbull, the study is fatally flawed from the start. A "pitbull type" would include pitbulls, American bulldogs (all three types) pitbull mixes, bull terriers, French bulldogs, certain mastiffs, Staffordshire terriers, boxers, dogos, bandogs, presa canarious and any other muscular, square faced, short haired dogs. As you can see forming statistics using these methods, and an umbrella that clumps totally diff breeds into one large group is inaccurate and unfair. The stats are innaccurate , that is a fact known by both sides since the study was done.

Take a look at these pictures. Tell me which dog is a pit. The average person would say pitbull type to describe all these dogs. I used pictures that would give you a chance to find the pit. I could have posted pictures that some pit owners woud not be sure about.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 08:53:27 AM »

Take a look at these pictures. Tell me which dog is a pit. The average person would say pitbull type to describe all these dogs. I used pictures that would give you a chance to find the pit. I could have posted pictures that some pit owners woud not be sure about.

Very good point.  Although I am not 100% privy on the breed....I know they are easily misrepresented.  A guy that I used to work with (his roomate) had pits.  Gave me a basic explanation of the differences which I honestly really didn't know.

I would say...more than 95% of the population wouldn't know.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:17 AM »

The stat about golden retriever's is true, its even on a pamphlet down at the SPCA where my girl works.

And hedge, since you represent the ignorant faction, have you ever wondered why there are so many staunch supporters of pit bulls out there that aren't ghetto thugs, or wannabees or lowlifes in general?  Have you yourself ever spent any time with a pit other than what you see on the news? 

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »

I doubt it.

-Hedge

Trust me on this...i'm right ... :-\
Because they are very popular allot and i mean allot of people want to buy one!
They think because they use Goldenretrievers for commercials ands stuff that they are very friendly dogs.
But make no mistake....if you don't properly socialize a dog ...no matter what kind of dog...your in for a big surprise..... :o
?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »

The first and second looks to be an american pitbull.

The third doesn't look like a pitbull.

The fourth doesn't looks like a pitbull either.

But then again, I'm no dog expert.

-Hedge

The fourth?
As empty as paradise

body88

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »
Check out my other thread also. The first two are not pitbulls. None of them are even terriers.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »
The one I'm pretty sure is a Pomeranian....& another one is a Beagle

;D

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
The stat about golden retriever's is true, its even on a pamphlet down at the SPCA where my girl works.

And hedge, since you represent the ignorant faction, have you ever wondered why there are so many staunch supporters of pit bulls out there that aren't ghetto thugs, or wannabees or lowlifes in general?  Have you yourself ever spent any time with a pit other than what you see on the news? 

To answer your last question: Yes, I have.

The problem with that dog, was the strength of it, and it was very obvious that if that dog ever got in fight with another dog, it would tear the other dog apart.

I've been around Golden Retrievers as well. They're not at all as strong or do not have the same type of aggressiveness. They are a bit more fluctuant in mood, are easier to trig, but they don't really get aggressive IMO.

As for your first question: I believe that most people who gets the pitbull instead of a golden or some other weak dog, are interested in an exciting dog who are strong and tough, and wants to boost his/her own self image. At least when they get their first dog, later on, they may have other reasons.

But initially, I believe it's the same reason some people buy a HUMMER or a Fugly Pickup truck.

It may not be the best ride. It sure as hell isn't. But it's the biggest, baddest and coolest in the hood, so goddamn, I'm gonna get one of those.

The same reason is why some people get those freak versions of chihuahuas. Because they look crazy, and they can look freaky when walking the dog.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »

The problem with that dog, was the strength of it, and it was very obvious that if that dog ever got in fight with another dog, it would tear the other dog apart.

I've been around Golden Retrievers as well. They're not at all as strong or do not have the same type of aggressiveness. They are a bit more fluctuant in mood, are easier to trig, but they don't really get aggressive IMO.

As for your first question: I believe that most people who gets the pitbull instead of a golden or some other weak dog, are interested in an exciting dog who are strong and tough, and wants to boost his/her own self image. At least when they get their first dog, later on, they may have other reasons.

But initially, I believe it's the same reason some people buy a HUMMER or a Fugly Pickup truck.

It may not be the best ride. It sure as hell isn't. But it's the biggest, baddest and coolest in the hood, so goddamn, I'm gonna get one of those.

The same reason is why some people get those freak versions of chihuahuas. Because they look crazy, and they can look freaky when walking the dog.

-Hedge

Freak version of a chi?

post pictures

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 07:42:06 PM »

-Hedge
I disagree with this I know several people with families, with small children, that have pits. First off they got pits because they are the most loyal and loving dog I ever met. Secondly they will defend their owners and children at all cost. Third it's not about self image, it's about having a beautiful animal that would never leave your side. They are very trainable, smart and eager to learn.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »
oh yeah, Body88, it's #4 the fawn :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

body88

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »
oh yeah, Body88, it's #4 the fawn :)

Looks like it huh? That is actually a female american bulldog. The scott/performance type. Actually none of those pups are pits. The pup above the last is a hybrid type american bulldog, the same type of ab I have. The first guy is a presa canario, and the second is a bandog.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »
Looks like it huh? That is actually a female american bulldog. The scott/performance type. Actually none of those pups are pits. The pup above the last is a hybrid type american bulldog, the same type of ab I have. The first guy is a presa canario, and the second is a bandog.
she would be the closest looking to a pit to me. I though tyou said you put one in there for everyone to choose from, I was wrong :'(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

body88

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 09:28:18 PM »
she would be the closest looking to a pit to me. I though tyou said you put one in there for everyone to choose from, I was wrong :'(

I did... It was a dirty trick! I am sorry my friend.

body88

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »

-Hedge

I am going to respectfully disagree. You seem to know a lot about powerlifting. You are also a obvious fan of bodybuilding, or at least working out. A far better argument could be made that all the insecurities you listed would pertain to a person into bodybuilding and powerlifting. What exactly does lifting a large amount of weight prove? Does that give one a certain kind of image? Make one stronger to do more damage in a fight? Are you trying to boost your self image by power lifting and bodybuilding Hedge? You must be because most bb's and pl's are very insecure. Same as all pitbull owners, correct?

I think you fail to realize many people look at a pitbull or a Doberman the same way many people look at a golden retriever. Are Goldie owners trying to project an Image of beauty? Are they all insecure they do not have long golden hair? Many people like the way pitbulls or bully breeds look. Not because they are insecure, because they just like the way they look, thats all. Same reason some people like ketchup, and some people like mustard. Blond or Brunet? Pitbulls are very unique looking dogs, and IMO very handsome dogs. Are you saying Petey from little rascals was not one of the most beloved dogs in history? Spud McKenzie from the Bud commericals? (bull terrier) Far more people think my 90 lb American Bulldog is cute then scary. He has very unique markings and a ton of character. He is extremely loyal and very friendly. Although he is not a pitbull , he is a bully type breed. I bought him because to me he is the most handsome dog out there. I bought him for his loyalty, and his great personality. He is the perfect dog for a person who is into sports and likes to partake in athletic activities ( hiking, running and swimming). He offers my gf/home protection when I am not around, yet is gentle and loving with my 2 year old nephew. He has a huge heart, and is a great companion. I would not trade him for any other breed. I did not buy him to project a image. I can say with confidence most all the people I know who own ab's did not but them for "image". Having owned a 75 lb brindle pitbull, I can say the exact same things where true for him as my current pup. Pitbull's are extremely loyal and fun to interact with. They are courageous and funny as hell. They are not mean and no different then any other dog, if raised like any dominant type breed should be raised. Just because a segment of the people who get them have issues with insecurity or might want to project a "image" you do not ban an entire breed of dog.

Why do you have no beef with people owning 200 lb st Bernard's? Is it because they are cuddly? One of those could kill you much easier then a pitbull. Should humans who are athletically Superior to the average human be banned because they are stronger, and more agile then most the population? You have a beef with people with insecurities, not pitbulls. If they did not use pitbulls to project an image, they would use Doberman. If not Doberman's, how about 200 lb St Bernard's. If not dogs, how about the biggest guns ? No guns, how about huge knives? Ban knives, how about the biggest pipe bomb? You see where I'm going with this? It is the people, not the tools they use to project there insecurities. Unfortunately the ones who suffer are the pitbulls who are made out to look like monsters. Yes, there are crazy assed pitbulls. But that is not a common thing. There are crazy dogs of ALL breeds. There are no more crazy pitbulls out there ,then crazy labs and cocker spaniels. Just so happens the worlds most exploited dog these days is the APBT. You can thank the low life pit fighters, drug dealers, and scumbag element, that bring many of these dogs up to do exactly the things the breed gets the bad rap for. Get familiar with the Presa canario and Argentinian dogo. They are the next dogs you are going to see exploited. It will never end. They said ALL the same junk about Rottweilers/Doberman/GSd's in the past. Now it is pits. After pits it will be something else.