Author Topic: Fact about American Pit Bull Terriers....  (Read 20555 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: Fact about American Pit Bull Terriers....
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 11:53:50 PM »
St. bernards are actually quite commonly schizophrenic, yes SCHIZOPHRENIC.  Look it up and you will see they are quite prone to personality disorders, crazy stuff.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
To answer your last question: Yes, I have.

The problem with that dog, was the strength of it, and it was very obvious that if that dog ever got in fight with another dog, it would tear the other dog apart.

I've been around Golden Retrievers as well. They're not at all as strong or do not have the same type of aggressiveness. They are a bit more fluctuant in mood, are easier to trig, but they don't really get aggressive IMO.

As for your first question: I believe that most people who gets the pitbull instead of a golden or some other weak dog, are interested in an exciting dog who are strong and tough, and wants to boost his/her own self image. At least when they get their first dog, later on, they may have other reasons.

But initially, I believe it's the same reason some people buy a HUMMER or a Fugly Pickup truck.

It may not be the best ride. It sure as hell isn't. But it's the biggest, baddest and coolest in the hood, so goddamn, I'm gonna get one of those.

The same reason is why some people get those freak versions of chihuahuas. Because they look crazy, and they can look freaky when walking the dog.

-Hedge

Ok, in terms of strength, i've never had a golden retriever, but i grew up with labs, which are comparable.  A 105 lbs male lab, an 85 Lbs female lab and a 65 lbs female lab.  Not as strong as a pit???  HA! They might not look as muscular due to the long fur, but those dogs are strong as shit. The male caught a burglar breaking into our neighbors house and pinned him until my dad heard the ruckus and came over.  The 65 lbs female could pull me and my buddies around the neighborhood on our roller blades for hours all the way through high school (and we were 200 lbs plus footballers/track athletes) and the 85 pounder used to due the same.  There's a reason they dominate those great outdoor games long jump, its because they have incredible explosive strength and endurance like no other.  Now, when a 65, 85 or 105 lbs dog attacks a human, the results are always the same regardless of breed (ask the woman who had her face ripped off by a lab).  the point is, you don't have to have a pit to have a dangerous dog, they just happen to be the popular one at the moment.  there are some dumbasses out there who get pitbulls, but being as how they are an immensely popular breed (some studies make they the most popular in america), the number of problems versus the number of normal ones is miniscule. 

After today you should be more worried about getting rid of guns as opposed to pit bulls.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 04:08:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Obviously, I am no fan of dogs, except for one dog, belongs to the parents of a friend of mine. He's some ugly crossbreed between german shepherd, labrador, and a few other things, the result of horny dogs meeting in street corners.

Thanks for the replies, I enjoy learning about the issue, becoming more educated.

I still believe that dogs should not be treated as humans, whether you like dogs or not, they're animals, not something else. Meaning, having dogs in bed, feeding them from the table, et al... It's not good. Either for the dog, or for the owner.

The next step is zoophilia IMO.

As far as pitbulls: I generally don't like dogs, as you know. I find them unnecessary. The protection issue is moot IMO: Our society should not rely on our citizens to protect themselves, that should be taken care of by the police.

Dogs have shown to have a fitness effect on elder people, so for them, I am all for getting small nice active dogs, such as yorkshire terriers or shit like that.

Cuddly, someone mentioned cuddly. I talked to the owner of a german shepherd a few days ago. She told me that her dog will always be loud, no matter how good discipline she will teach the dog.

What really has to be done, is to look into getting some kind of certificate for dog owning, and also stipulate who gets to breed.

Shit is getting out of hand.

Once again, thanks for the interesting discussion, I am definitely learning.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 11:12:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Obviously, I am no fan of dogs, except for one dog, belongs to the parents of a friend of mine. He's some ugly crossbreed between german shepherd, labrador, and a few other things, the result of horny dogs meeting in street corners.

Thanks for the replies, I enjoy learning about the issue, becoming more educated.

I still believe that dogs should not be treated as humans, whether you like dogs or not, they're animals, not something else. Meaning, having dogs in bed, feeding them from the table, et al... It's not good. Either for the dog, or for the owner.

The next step is zoophilia IMO.

As far as pitbulls: I generally don't like dogs, as you know. I find them unnecessary. The protection issue is moot IMO: Our society should not rely on our citizens to protect themselves, that should be taken care of by the police.

Dogs have shown to have a fitness effect on elder people, so for them, I am all for getting small nice active dogs, such as yorkshire terriers or shit like that.

Cuddly, someone mentioned cuddly. I talked to the owner of a german shepherd a few days ago. She told me that her dog will always be loud, no matter how good discipline she will teach the dog.

What really has to be done, is to look into getting some kind of certificate for dog owning, and also stipulate who gets to breed.

Shit is getting out of hand.

Once again, thanks for the interesting discussion, I am definitely learning.

-Hedge

German shepherds are gaurd dogs and trained/bred to be high strung and bark a lot.  they do... constantly, with a very shrill bark at that.  it gets EVERYONE's attention, mission accomplished, true?

I also agree with your thoughts about deciding who gets to own a dog ( i don't think anyone ever convicted of a violent felony should be able to own one, however many people feel that the empathy involved in owning/caring for a dog is a direct sign of rehabilitation in any violent offender), but it is a direct violation of our civil liberties to do so. The licence law is a start, but i don't think there is enough money or interest to enforce it properly.  In terms on breeding, i think that the law about making fixing/spaying your pets upon purchase unless a registered breeder is a great idea.

I do understand why some people don't like "dog people."  Some dog owners let their dogs run the show and live for their animals and it can be a bit annoying, but these might be people who can't have kids or are societies social rejects, so a dog is really the center of their world... so you have to walk in their shoes before you can judge.

In terms of protection, someone said in response to yesterday's shooting, that this is why they like to have a gun in their house, to defend their family in case someone goes nuts or breaks in.  I said that no one needs a gun and houses with dogs get broken into on a much more rare basis than thouse without.  And your theory about police being the one's to protect us is wishful thinking.  if the police were that good no one would ever  get mugged, raped, murdered, robbed, car jacked, etc... but shit happens.  Women who take their walks at night with dogs feel safer and don't get attacked by predators, the numbers back it up.

Dogs are a big part of our society whether one likes it or not, but to define them as unecessary sounds close minded, childish and indicative of a person with serious social issues and or intimacy issues.  No offense, but thats like me telling you that shoes are unecessary and that you should just build callouses... because i can't afford shoes and i have dealt without them.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »

Yorkshire terriers are insane, constantly bark and very snappy dogs.  If big dogs had their temperment... shit, we'd all have been mauled by this point.

body88

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 12:07:58 PM »
Yorkshire terriers are insane, constantly bark and very snappy dogs.  If big dogs had their temperment... shit, we'd all have been mauled by this point.

I do not know of many yorki therapy dogs, do you? A lot of pitbulls used for that. I think hedge is confused about what the typical "therapy" dog looks like. They are never toy breeds.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »
I do not know of many yorki therapy dogs, do you? A lot of pitbulls used for that. I think hedge is confused about what the typical "therapy" dog looks like. They are never toy breeds.

NEVER toy breeds.  Toy breeds can't even tolerate the amount of petting that comes with being a therapy dog.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 12:31:41 PM »
pit bulls have excelled as Animal-Assisted-Therapy dogs... they work with the elderly, deeply troubled or abused children, physically traumatized hospital patients, and even those who are terminally ill.... the pits outstanding temperment and the overwhelming love and affection they have for people make them the ideal dog for this type of work.

body88

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
NEVER toy breeds.  Toy breeds can't even tolerate the amount of petting that comes with being a therapy dog.

I agree. A lot of toys make bad therapy dogs imo. Pitbulls are often used as therapy dogs.  As shown by jmt above. Hedge did you know these facts?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »
No. Didn't know that pitbulls were used to treat retarded kids.

What's the breed that Buffalo Bill has in Silence of the Lambs?

I've seen that kind of dog with a few elder people, seems to work nice as a kick in the butt.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »

I've seen that kind of dog with a few elder people, seems to work nice as a kick in the butt.

-Hedge

People are going to love their dog regardless of the breed.  It just goes that for therapy work, larger dogs/working dogs are often more popular because they are bred for a steady temperment and to work well and loyaly to humans.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 01:04:05 PM »
People are going to love their dog regardless of the breed.  It just goes that for therapy work, larger dogs/working dogs are often more popular because they are bred for a steady temperment and to work well and loyaly to humans.

If a pitbull is better for therapy, then of course, that's the kind of dog who should be used.

I am an utiliarian.

That's also why I will watch the Denver law with great interest, and if it turns out that there's no decrease in dog attacks, percentage wise, I will definitely change my mind on pitbulls.

I don't like dogs. But I have an open mind about it, at least I like to think that.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »

-Hedge

Hedge, a statement like this from you? :-\

They don't just treat HANDICAPPED kids, they also used in therapy for the elderly. While these dogs are very powerful they are also very obidient and can be trained very well to be calm, not jumpy or snippy like small breeds.

that retarded comment makes me wonder about you. Aren't you one of the ones who complained about my avatar awhile back? but you're going to call children retards? HMMMMMMM................ .. :-\
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 04:28:17 PM »
Hedge, a statement like this from you? :-\

They don't just treat HANDICAPPED kids, they also used in therapy for the elderly. While these dogs are very powerful they are also very obidient and can be trained very well to be calm, not jumpy or snippy like small breeds.

that retarded comment makes me wonder about you. Aren't you one of the ones who complained about my avatar awhile back? but you're going to call children retards? HMMMMMMM................ .. :-\

What?

I think American History X is a great movie, and Ed Norton awesome.

Why would I complain that you have an avatar from it?

Sorry, you got the wrong guy, but I actually recall someone bitching about your avatar being racist. I thought that was retarded dumb. ;)

BTW, didn't mean to offend you, retarded kids is simply another wording for kids with a learning disability.

Same thing, but retarded is the correct medical term, I think?

No matter, the issue at hand are the dogs.
As empty as paradise

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »
What?

I think American History X is a great movie, and Ed Norton awesome.

Why would I complain that you have an avatar from it?

Sorry, you got the wrong guy, but I actually recall someone bitching about your avatar being racist. I thought that was retarded dumb. ;)

BTW, didn't mean to offend you, retarded kids is simply another wording for kids with a learning disability.

Same thing, but retarded is the correct medical term, I think?

No matter, the issue at hand are the dogs.

Ah, yes, the dogs....beautiful aren't they? :D

No offense taken, just got a soft spot for kids, don't think it's cool to talk shit to children with disabilities. Misunderstood you. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2007, 01:19:25 AM »
My nephew has dyslexia...what a retard!.... :-\

.... ;D
?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
My nephew has dyslexia...what a retard!.... :-\

.... ;D
he's probably a mod on the political board :P
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2007, 01:27:41 AM »
he's probably a mod on the political board :P

You know it!... :D
?

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
I love my bulldogs.....end of story.  ;) 

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »
Rocky....always on the look out!

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 12:09:35 AM »
Rocky & Roxy

Hedgehog, btw, I traded in the Hummer.  :'(

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 09:52:48 AM »
I'll add you to the "Represent your pet" thread Jade

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »
his name is Savage...
L

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »
We don't have a name yet but I think we are leaning towards Zues.....

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »
Rocky & Roxy

Hedgehog, btw, I traded in the Hummer.  :'(

About time. :-*

Hummer's -they're so 2001.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise