Author Topic: Gunman incident on Virginia Tech campus  (Read 9117 times)

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
Re: Gunman incident on Virginia Tech campus
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
Hmmmm....ask any college student/professor and they will tell you the same thing.  The school is too big and anyone carrying two pistols could walk around campus and off people.  If you don't understand that then you have a problem.  Couple this with the fact that they thought they had the suspect, they did not need to shut down the entire campus nor did they think they had a reason to.  Let me put this in LE terms for ya'll.  If you have a suspect in custody for questioning or even an idea of who did it, you are not going to shut down buildings a mile away.  Let me make this clear, people would still have been killed.

lol like they are trained for this purpose ???

I hope your not in the military or received any law enforcement training.

I bet if a person robbed a bank, and took hostages you would continue to let customers go in. O yes, you can go in and make a quick withdrawal from the ATM but be very very quiet so the gunman wont see you. ::)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2007, 05:58:23 PM »
lol like they are trained for this purpose ???

I hope your not in the military or received any law enforcement training.

I bet if a person robbed a bank, and took hostages you would continue to let customers go in. O yes, you can go in and make a quick withdrawal from the ATM but be very very quiet so the gunman wont see you. ::)
Yea, very similar situation.   ::)  If I had a crime scene in one location, I would not expect to later have one a mile away.  They were investigating a crime scene and in reality, locking the school down could have locked the shooter in the dorms to still get in a shootout or in the building where he shot people.
Squishy face retard

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2007, 09:44:11 PM »
they sent it out at 9:36 AM I believe.

that is waiting just too long. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2007, 11:02:04 PM »

Virginia Tech Shooting Timeline: Emails Link Bloody Details
Tuesday April 17, 2007

Hindsight may be 20/20, but the day after the worst school shooting in North American history, the vision of what happened at Virginia Tech is still a little fuzzy.

Here's an approximate timeline of the events as police and university officials have been able to recreate them.

7:15am

Monday morning dawns with students getting up early to head to class.

At the West Amber Johnston co-ed dorm, home to 895 students, there's some kind of incident, and shots are fired. Police are called and find two people dead. They conclude it was an isolated domestic dispute and that the danger is over.

8am

The doors of Norris Hall open for the day, as students enter the engineering building to go to class. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

9:26am

With many students unaware of the violence in their midst, word of the dorm shooting comes in a widely distributed email that's received across the campus.

"Subject: Shooting on campus," the header reads.

"A shooting incident occurred at West Amber Johnston earlier this morning. Police are on the scene and are investigating.

"The university community is urged to be cautious and are asked to contact Virginia Tech Police if you observe anything suspicious or with information on the case. Contact Virginia Tech Police at 231-6411.

"Stay attuned to the http://www.vt.edu/ . We will post as soon as we have more information."

As far as authorities are concerned, whoever fired the shots has escaped the sprawling grounds of the university and is gone. It is now a police matter and officials decide it's safe for classes to continue.

9:45am

It's now more than two hours after the initial shooting and the lines at the Blacksburg, Va. 911 outpost light up en masse. Panicked students call on their cell phones to tell authorities a man has come to Norris Hall and begun randomly firing weapons at people inside.

His first target is a professor in one of the classrooms. He then turns his weapons on the stunned students.

9:50am

Police stop a man they describe as a 'person of interest' in the dorm shooting. "That individual was an acquaintance of the female victim killed at West Amber Johnston Hall," explains Police Chief Wendell Flinchum. "He was stopped and detained for questioning. As officers were interviewing him, the shootings at Norris Hall were reported. We're still looking to him for information as the investigation continues."

9:55am

A second email is sent out by university brass. This one is far more terse and a lot more chilling.

"Subject: Please stay put," it begins.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows."

10am

Within minutes of the second email, the university starts phoning resident advisers and asking them to knock on the doors of classrooms and dorm rooms, to spread the word about the danger faster.

But the campus is huge - some 1,050 hectares in length, described by one official as the size of a small city - and getting to everyone in such a busy environment over such a wide area is almost impossible.

While all this is going on, a gunman continues to blaze away in Norris Hall, picking off victims one at a time in rapid succession. His motive remains unknown, but his methodical task is succeeding all too well. Dozens lie either dead or seriously wounded. 

10:05am

Students trying to escape the carnage find chains on some doors, closing off their only escape routes. As the killer approaches, many break open windows or kick out screens, jumping several storeys to the ground in desperation, preferring broken limbs to the possibility of being gunned down.

10:16am

The University sends out a third email.

"Subject: All Classes Canceled; Stay where you are.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus."

Police are on scene, hustling shocked students off the property and away from the area, still unsure what they're dealing with.

Many are told to enter unaffected buildings and wait for the all-clear signal. Others are simply shooed off campus altogether. No one else is allowed on the premises.

As TV stations, networks and the web pick up the story, word starts spreading quickly - there has been a massacre at Norris Hall.

10:52am

The fourth and final email comes out of Virginia Tech's administration office. By now, just about everyone knows the worst has happened, as ambulances and police cars occupy the campus around the classroom building.

The email contains some details that would later prove to be false, but was based on the best information available as confusion swirled.

"Subject: Second Shooting Reported; Police have one gunman in custody

"In addition to an earlier shooting today in West Ambler Johnston, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.

"Police and EMS are on the scene.

"Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.

"All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.

"All entrances to campus are closed."

10:55am

First reports indicate 22 are dead and at least that number are injured.

But as the afternoon goes on, the scope of the tragedy escalates. The death toll rises to first 29, then 30, and finally settles at 32. The number of injured sits at around 15.

A doctor at one of the local hospitals indicates the gunman was extreme in his cruelty. He fired at least three bullets into every single victim, and all the wounded patients he examined were suffering from some kind of gun related injury.

"There were leg, arm, head, face (injuries), the more critical ones actually had head or facial shots. There were chest shots, leg shots, arm shots. He was just shooting to kill," relates ER physician Dr. Joseph Cacioppo.

11am

It has been more than three and a half hours after the initial shooting, when Norris Hall finally falls silent. The gunman saved his final bullet for himself, leaving the final bloody toll at 33.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »

It's very easy to sit back and play "armchair quarterback" on the whole situation. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2007, 01:36:12 PM »
It's very easy to sit back and play "armchair quarterback" on the whole situation. 

Yes, C-500, it's very similar to how some people play armchair quarterback when analyzing 9/11.   

It's easy to point out mistakes when you have all the info and are not int he heat of the battle.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »
Yes, C-500, it's very similar to how some people play armchair quarterback when analyzing 9/11.   

It's easy to point out mistakes when you have all the info and are not int he heat of the battle.

Hardly a fair comparison Ozmo. We clearly don't have all the facts surrounding 911.
That's why there needs to be a new and thorough investigation.  :)  Hi Rob.  :-*
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Hardly a fair comparison Ozmo. We clearly don't have all the facts surrounding 911.
That's why there needs to be a new and thorough investigation.  :)  Hi Rob.  :-*

Oh i agree very much about needing a new investigation and even a third one too.

I was referring to some of the time line criticisms of the FAA.

It's hard to know what was going through peple heads as they made decisions and easy to criticize them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »

True. 

I have to say though, the thing that really concerns me is why students were still sitting in class hours after the first shootings.  I know the campus is 26,000 acres, but if I'm the parent of a child who was killed in the second shootings I'd want some answers. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
True. 

I have to say though, the thing that really concerns me is why students were still sitting in class hours after the first shootings.  I know the campus is 26,000 acres, but if I'm the parent of a child who was killed in the second shootings I'd want some answers. 
I agree, Beach.  But it's one thing to say "you should have" compared to asking "what was your plan?"  What we're hearing from the media right now is "Tech officials shoulda...coulda....woul da...."