Author Topic: One side of my body is bigger than the other, know what to do?  (Read 7690 times)

jsolisjr

• Getbig I
I have been having problems with my back and kind of with my standing.  My whole right side of my body is bigger and stronger than my left side.  I have been trying to use my left arm more and stand on my left leg more, but some times it hurts my back but only on my left side.  I have been trying to work out more of my left side but it always seems that my right is getting bigger as well.  Does anyone know what I can do to help level out my strength and size? 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: One side of my body is bigger than the other, know what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »
First off: Start spank the monkey with the left hand. ;D

Then, exchange excersises like BB rows for DB rows, BB shoulder presses for DB presses...

You can also do lunges, alternating every other step.

All this to get left side up to par.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
HedgeHog is correct. Probably 99% of the world's humans have one side a little larger and stronger than the other. Even the face has one side different than the other side. There is a dominate side for everyone, like being right handed or left handed. You may not have been aware of if, but when using a BB, the dominate side will always take the majority of the work load. Even if you pay attention and try to avoid it, it can still happen. That's the reason HedgeHog suggested DB's for awhile. Even when reaching a stage where you think the sides are matched, one side will probably still be lacking a bit. Take a close look at the Pro's and you can see a slight to noticeable difference from side to side. Not to worry, it's human anatomy

Even if a person is ambidextrous, there may still be a matter of a few degrees where both sides are are exact in nature. Good Luck.
F

jsolisjr

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
First off: Start spank the monkey with the left hand. ;D

Then, exchange excersises like BB rows for DB rows, BB shoulder presses for DB presses...

You can also do lunges, alternating every other step.

All this to get left side up to par.

-Hedge

LOL I do rub it out with my left hand.  Thanks for the advice. 

jsolisjr

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:20:16 PM »
HedgeHog is correct. Probably 99% of the world's humans have one side a little larger and stronger than the other. Even the face has one side different than the other side. There is a dominate side for everyone, like being right handed or left handed. You may not have been aware of if, but when using a BB, the dominate side will always take the majority of the work load. Even if you pay attention and try to avoid it, it can still happen. That's the reason HedgeHog suggested DB's for awhile. Even when reaching a stage where you think the sides are matched, one side will probably still be lacking a bit. Take a close look at the Pro's and you can see a slight to noticeable difference from side to side. Not to worry, it's human anatomy

Even if a person is ambidextrous, there may still be a matter of a few degrees where both sides are are exact in nature. Good Luck.

I know that not everyone is the same on both sides.  I feel it alot even when I stand.  I have been asked if my back bothers me and it does sometimes.   They said that they can see my back bends more to my right.  I hope that working it out will help or do you think that I might have to see a doctor?  Thanks for the advice and I will try and work on it.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:22:23 AM »
like they already said, use dumbells..i used to have a big difference between sides, now its a lot better
!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »
Jsolisjr...have you considered a spinal adjustment, something alone the line of chiropractic manipulation or pressiue point help? Also, Rolfing and/or sports massage has made a lot of different with athletes. Sounds like you have an muscle imbalance which is usually caused (among other things) by spinal misalinement. Can be handled very well when treated right.

As far as exercises go;   might try one legged step-up's (not to be confused with one legged squats or even lunges), which tend to shift and balance the leg/hip/lower back in some cases. Some Olympic lifters, and other atheles, have found the benefit of this exercise. GoodMorning can also be effective for the lower back/hips/hams. GM'ing should be done in higher reps (20 to 30) with a lighter weight. You want a better stretch and more blood brought into the area. Even hanging from a chinning bar for 30 seconds or more can have benefits to the lower back and spine. Not to mention a greater flexability to the shoulders and upper back. Keep the body relaxed when doing this or any other slow stretching movement.Try dressing warm when working out, also. Good luck.
F

jsolisjr

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »
Jsolisjr...have you considered a spinal adjustment, something alone the line of chiropractic manipulation or pressiue point help? Also, Rolfing and/or sports massage has made a lot of different with athletes. Sounds like you have an muscle imbalance which is usually caused (among other things) by spinal misalinement. Can be handled very well when treated right.

As far as exercises go;   might try one legged step-up's (not to be confused with one legged squats or even lunges), which tend to shift and balance the leg/hip/lower back in some cases. Some Olympic lifters, and other atheles, have found the benefit of this exercise. GoodMorning can also be effective for the lower back/hips/hams. GM'ing should be done in higher reps (20 to 30) with a lighter weight. You want a better stretch and more blood brought into the area. Even hanging from a chinning bar for 30 seconds or more can have benefits to the lower back and spine. Not to mention a greater flexability to the shoulders and upper back. Keep the body relaxed when doing this or any other slow stretching movement.Try dressing warm when working out, also. Good luck.

Thank you so very much.  That will help me out alot.  I have noticed my problem in everything I do like sitting standing and running.  Even the way I sleep.  When I stand up against a wall I can see my right side of my body sticking out more than my left.  I am in the in the Infantry in the Army and when I wear all my gear I my back hurts.  I have been doing this for 5 years and want to get rid of the problem.  It isn't just my back my whole body.  I lean more to my right and don't like it.  I will do what have said and if I can let you know what is going on if that is ok with you?  Thanks

dalkiel

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 02:56:59 AM »
Similar problem with a unique twist. My left side is much better built than my dominant right. My right arm and leg are much stronger but my left side seems to fill out faster. My theory is that since my right side is stronger it requires more stimulation than my left side. When i do bar dips for chest/tri's i feel the muscle on the left side working/stimulated more than my right.

I'm currently trying to even it out to a certain degree by doing compound movements first and then switching to dumbells for my right side only. Amazingly the next day I feel my left side is more pumped up than my right. My main concern is trying to build up my right trap muscle.

Before I started weights i used pushups/situps/other bodyweight excercises and then my right side was slightly better developed. It was only after I started on weights when my left side began to overpower my right side. I may have helped it to  a certain degree when i tried to even out left side and overdid it

jpm101  - Your suggestion about Spinal adjutment/chiropractor sounds like something i should check out 

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:00:40 PM »
I agree with Hedge, using dumbells more than barbells to build up equal size and strength on each side of the body.  Also, when doing these, always start with the weaker side, when you have slightly more energy.  Its not a huge difference but every little helps.

From your post it sounds like its more serious than just lack of symmetry.  The pain in your back is something you should see a doc about.