Author Topic: Leg Day...Knees  (Read 1894 times)

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
Leg Day...Knees
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:50:37 AM »
I think I can answer my own question here, but want to know if other's have experienced this and how to remedy it:
On leg day, When I squat, hack squat, and/or leg press there are times when just below my knee cap, it's either tendon or ligament, gets VERY tight and painful!  It starts during the workout and lasts for a couple days.  I do go at least parallel, but have a feeling that sometimes when this happens, I go down to less than parallel.
Any of you experienced this and/or have a remedy or ideas?
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Re: Leg Day...Knees
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:20:39 AM »
I think I can answer my own question here, but want to know if other's have experienced this and how to remedy it:
On leg day, When I squat, hack squat, and/or leg press there are times when just below my knee cap, it's either tendon or ligament, gets VERY tight and painful!  It starts during the workout and lasts for a couple days.  I do go at least parallel, but have a feeling that sometimes when this happens, I go down to less than parallel.

I know some of the hardcore guys on here will frown on it but go buy yourself some knee wraps, I use them and have been for the last 3 months or so and it does help out alot.
nasser=piece of shit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »
I get the same thing..petella tendon, I guess. The longer I ride the bike before legs the less pain i get.
L

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:18:58 AM »
Natural Al and HeadHunterSix offer good advice. Get the knee area flexed and warmed up, with a good supply of blood flow in the area. Knee wraps, when not worn too tight, can be helpful. Thought knee warmers might be a better choice. Designed to hold the heat in and allow full ROM. A heating rub could also be applied, if so than  again, do not keep the wrap/warmer too tight. Streaching out and warming up the hams is also a good idea, they can affect the function of the knees. Both work with one another when doing most leg movements. You want a fairly even muscle balance when doing any exercise.

Knees can be very tricky. Trouble is, is that if one minor thing goes wrong, that can start a chain reaction to something more serious. Couple of things that come to mind. 1) If that knee tightness goes along with a slight/moderate burning feeling, than that may, or may not, suggest the start of a tendon tear. 2)Wonder if the knee cap is loose/floating?

You could take a week (or two) off of any direct exercise that requires a 90 degree bend in the knee joint; squats, hacks, leg presses, etc. Though I always thought that leg extensions were a good way to increase strength and knee health, if not extended beyond the normal point of top contraction, some recent White Papers have  suggested the opposite. Who know now a days, next week it might be back to it being a good exercise. So, in good conscious, I cound not suggest doing them at the moment. But you can be the only judge of that. Seeing a doctor is always a major option if results are slow, or not at all, with your knee health. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
Ya i've had this..

-Get used to longer, more thorough warmups - 4-5 minutes easy stationary bike + several light sets. Taking the time to warm up thoroughly is an inevitable part of training IMO.

-Keep the reps moderate or higher.

-Figure out which ROMs cause it and avoid-go lower or higher on the motions. Also determine which exercises specifically it's coming from.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:24:10 AM »
I get the same thing..petella tendon, I guess. The longer I ride the bike before legs the less pain i get.

Yes I have the same issue, it is the Petella Tendon (sp).  Mine only hurts when squating but once it gets hot it will stay hot and get slightly worse through presses or hacks.  Extensions don't bother it though.  It CAN be repaired but again I don't know what the risk of a serious injury is after you feel it getting hot.  For a while I would think "oh shit this thing is going to snap on me if I do one more heavy set" but now I don't think so, its just irritation.  My knee used to also pop, all the time, but I conciously focused on every bend and extension for months, just every movement not resistance motions.  It did finally quit and now it is very rare so the brain, IMO, gets lazy at times and you can teach it to pay more attention.  Had a similar issue with my right shoulder after super heavy nose crushers, it went away as well.

So from my experience you can still get a great workout by doing your heavy squats first and once it gets hot call it quits there, then go to the other work.  If the problem persists though or becomes managable see a doctor because it is repairable and nowadays its probably and entirely uninvasive operation.

untamedsense

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 02:35:33 AM »
Well, as I said, I thought maybe I could answer my own question here, but I appreciate the responces. 
Legs yesterday...I decided to do this on squats and see what happened...good results:
I squated DEEP, all the way down...then...held for a 2 count...no bounce, no quick direction change.  No pain or tightness.
When you look at it, it does make sense, but in another it doesn't...but it worked...that's all that matters.  Of course ego gets checked at the door...I definately can't do the weight I would normally do this way, but in all reality, it's probably a better development technique.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:21:13 AM »
Wrap your knees on any exercise where you experience joint pain. Hard core or not, it's just smart and comfortable. Why should you suffer and be thinking about your knees the whole time instead of focusing on the lift? Wrapping gives joint stability and support through fluid pressure making sure everything stays in place throughout the exercise. Not only is it SAFER on the knees and helps prevent pain, but also, in the long run, will greatly extend the life of your knees if you're already prone to problems. I wrap in everything. Heavy squats, presses, lunges, hacks, you name it. When I started before I wrapped, I had knee issues that prevented progress from happening. Since I've started wrapping, I've come to look forward to leg days.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 01:34:38 PM »
Wrap your knees for low reps and never go heavy on leg extensions.

Warm up on the bike and do several light sets before adding plates.

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
Wrap your knees for low reps and never go heavy on leg extensions.

Warm up on the bike and do several light sets before adding plates.

8)
i hear ya on the heavy leg extensions, i made that mistake, dumbest thing you can do to your body.

AVBG

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
I have had the same problem and found that the better I warm up a the less pain I get.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:39:36 PM »
You might want to try using one of those "jumpers knee" devices.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:02:55 AM »

About once or twice per month people post almost the same thread with the same symptoms and it's usually the same answer, so here it is again. The symptoms you describe of you the pain just below the knee cap and getting VERY tight and painful, is a classic symptom of a meniscus tear, it will not heal because there is no blood supply to the meniscus!

untamedsense

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
"About once or twice per month people post almost the same thread with the same symptoms and it's usually the same answer, so here it is again. The symptoms you describe of you the pain just below the knee cap and getting VERY tight and painful, is a classic symptom of a meniscus tear, it will not heal because there is no blood supply to the meniscus!"

I appreciate the responce, but it may be in error, considering in my left knee, half of my meniscus isn't even there...it was unrepairable so the whole mess was just removed.  The Patellar Tendon sounds like the more accurate area of concern.  And according to charts, that's what shows up.  I'm not positive on this, and am not a doctor, so I wouldn't make a diagnosis on this myself though...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
i hear ya on the heavy leg extensions, i made that mistake, dumbest thing you can do to your body.

I couldn't agree more. I like them but I generally keep the reps to 20-30.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »
I couldn't agree more. I like them but I generally keep the reps to 20-30.

I like to do strip sets of 30 reps...insane pump.

8)

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »

No remedy, just wrap them up. I had the same problem and i didnt want to use them because i thought i was cheating myself, but you're not when you're going heavy.
#

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »
I like to do strip sets of 30 reps...insane pump.

8)

Strip sets?

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »