Author Topic: A Little Bit of History about Our Two Major Parties  (Read 16371 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: A Little Bit of History about Our Two Major Parties
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2007, 11:57:54 AM »
One of the problems is the system is unfair in its current state and you're advocating making it even worse.  Taking 70 percent of a person's income will discourage them from trying to be successful.  And we don't need progressive taxation to begin with.  Several states have no income tax.  That's about as fair as you can get. 

And what is wrong with people "making a mint and resting on their laurels"?  What business does the government have dictating (pun intended) what a person does with whatever that person has legally earned? 
Progressive taxation makes the most sense in terms of the practical payment of necessary tax dollars.  The  rich have more money to spare on taxes b/c they earn more.  The poor and middle class do not have such an advantage.

Judge Smehls was right: "The world needs ditch diggers too!"  And the world does need laborers.  Not everyone can be boss.  Rags to riches through hard work happens, but not everyone is fundamentally suited to achieve such success.

You gravely underestimate the determination of the rich/successful when you state that they will be discouraged from being successful.  Whether these Type A people are proving themselves for salary or notoriety, they will always strive to the top.  The reward is achievement.  Smaller recompense for that is not a deal killer.

The 80-90% tax bracket in the 1950s did not dissuade success.  In fact that decade was extremely prosperous--rock 'n roll, the Golden Age of Hollywood, the Beats, the GDP grew steadily, IBM grew, the auto industry exploded.

As far as the government's legislating tax policy...I used to agree with you.  But the idea of keeping individuals viable as contributing members of society also has its appeal.  Do you want a group of FOPS living off interest or do you want productive members of society? 

Note that the above is a policy.  We do live in a free society.  There is no law against becoming rich and retiring young in this country. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
I hope your wife remains cancer free, may god bless her.
And i'll pray for her.  I hate cancer.  I've lost many good friends to that god awful disease.
Cherish each day with her.
Thank you.  That means a lot to me.  It has been difficult for us but she's a great person and she's hanging in there.  I'm sorry that you had to have first-hand experience of a good friend having this awful disease.  It really isn't fair.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
Thank you.  That means a lot to me.  It has been difficult for us but she's a great person and she's hanging in there.  I'm sorry that you had to have first-hand experience of a good friend having this awful disease.  It really isn't fair.
Lost my best friend of 10 years to the disease, she was like a sister to me, she battled it 10 years.  I moved to her city, hour away from my gym for the last year of her life to help her husband with their son and chores around the house, he was always busy working or taking her to the doc so i chipped in.

Funny thing is, as tired as i was from a year of back and forth traveling, it was the most special year of my life.  I found out I really can be a friend that a friend would like to have.

Rooster is not all bad.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »
Lost my best friend of 10 years to the disease, she was like a sister to me, she battled it 10 years.  I moved to her city, hour away from my gym for the last year of her life to help her husband with their son and chores around the house, he was always busy working or taking her to the doc so i chipped in.

Funny thing is, as tired as i was from a year of back and forth traveling, it was the most special year of my life.  I found out I really can be a friend that a friend would like to have.

Rooster is not all bad.
You are a decent guy.  Well done. 

My wife was diagnosed over a year ago and since she's under age 40, those types of cancer tend to be aggressive.  So far we've been lucky.