Author Topic: best training for naturals?  (Read 2136 times)

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
best training for naturals?
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:27:07 PM »
  I just want some opinions on training and all the different stuff i've been reading into on this board.  I have been using pretty common lifting programs so far and have tried HIT once but wasnt able to stick to it for too long(left for the army after about 3 weeks of it).  I usually respond better to heavier weights then a shitload of reps, I am looking more into HIT and DC training but I would like opinions from anyone about what they have the best results with.
you suck at life...

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
Re: best training for naturals?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »
It depends on what you want to accomplish.  I don't care for HIT because the volume of work I am able to perform drops too much.  I personally think HIT is a great way to make great strength and size gains when starting out, then slowly start to develop a routine with a more basic approach.  But your routine and philosophy is yours.  Try different approaches and mix and match what works for you.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
  I just want some opinions on training and all the different stuff i've been reading into on this board.  I have been using pretty common lifting programs so far and have tried HIT once but wasnt able to stick to it for too long(left for the army after about 3 weeks of it).  I usually respond better to heavier weights then a shitload of reps, I am looking more into HIT and DC training but I would like opinions from anyone about what they have the best results with.

You pretty much summed up what this whole board is for.  Any of the vets aren't going to repost all of there literature and beliefs about specific training for this one thread so I would suggest you look as some old posts about it, some stickys and then ask a specific question. 

I'm not trying to be rude but there is a TON of good information on the board if you search a little.

riverdragon169

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »
I train natural and have used HIT with good results. The key is listening to your body and  knowing when to push it and when to back off. I think everyone needs to try different things and see what works best for you. Some of my best gains have come from going as heavy as I possibly can for 15-20 reps on everything just to shock my system. You have to formulate a plan and stick to it and see if the results were worth your training time...if not, try something different. I've found training without extra "help" you really have to mix it up to keep the body guessing and growing.

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
I have used Eric Broser's Power/Rep Range/Shock routine with very good results but be prepared for some soreness.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »

-Take some quality time to read about the various protocols listed in the stickys, then do same with posts here dating back months/years.

-Natural or drugs, the fundamentals aren't much different.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
Keep it very simple & old school. Lift heavy with good form, keep the intensity up & stick with compound exercises. Other than that it's diet & sleep.
#

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 09:03:35 PM »
Keep it very simple & old school. Lift heavy with good form, keep the intensity up & stick with compound exercises. Other than that it's diet & sleep.

my intensity is matched or better then anyone in the gym, and my diet is as good as i can have it for a chow hall, the sleep is the hard part...
you suck at life...

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
my intensity is matched or better then anyone in the gym, and my diet is as good as i can have it for a chow hall, the sleep is the hard part...

There you have it bro, maybe that's what slowing down your progress. Try cutting back a day from workout and throw those bodyparts together with other days. Try it, mix. things up. It never hurts to experiment, that's the only way you'll get to know your body better.
#

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:55:42 AM »

there are 100s of programs that work..no need to chase the optimal program because if you train consistently for lots of years it wont matter that much.

a simple 4-5 day split will do (and yes i tried it all, full body/hit/hft etc etc). no need to make it complicated. as for heavy vs reps..just go as heavy as you can with good form 6-12 reps on upper body...on quads and calves you can go a bit higher up to 20 reps. just some simple guidelines..you probably know all of this. the secret lies in realizing it doesnt happen over night.

just be consistent with food and the workouts...no need to go crazy in the gym, just to lift "intense enough" for long periods of time.

dave-boy

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 05:53:18 AM »
try this routine, worked well for me, http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=60247.0

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 06:28:30 AM »
HIT DONE RIGHT and DC have worked well for alot of guys. Your training isn't much different from that of a juicer. You still must push it, eat, and rest enough to get your gains. They just don't progress as quickly as one would if they used but the same principles apply just the same. :) I train in a more traditional style though I'd suggest trying them all for about 6 weeks each to give each one time to prove how well it works for you. I LOVE HIT when done correctly which is what I've always done and didn't know it. I though HIT was doing to complete failure for EVERY exercise using drop sets. WRONG! THAT'LL MURDER YOUR TRAINING! Going to failure with a particular weight each set AND PUSHING HARD WITH MINIMAL REST BETWEEN SETS is the best definition of HIT I can give. *shrug* I would rather have others lay it out there, but that's the best I can do in my explaination.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »
HIT DONE RIGHT and DC have worked well for alot of guys. Your training isn't much different from that of a juicer. You still must push it, eat, and rest enough to get your gains. They just don't progress as quickly as one would if they used but the same principles apply just the same. :) I train in a more traditional style though I'd suggest trying them all for about 6 weeks each to give each one time to prove how well it works for you. I LOVE HIT when done correctly which is what I've always done and didn't know it. I though HIT was doing to complete failure for EVERY exercise using drop sets. WRONG! THAT'LL MURDER YOUR TRAINING! Going to failure with a particular weight each set AND PUSHING HARD WITH MINIMAL REST BETWEEN SETS is the best definition of HIT I can give. *shrug* I would rather have others lay it out there, but that's the best I can do in my explaination.

pure HIT when done how Jones/Viator/Mentzer originally did it would kill an ordinary person.  REad Darden's stuff, it's intersting as hell and last I checked he structures his stuff in a way that's a little more condusive to the average joe.  I think you need a few years of "hard" training under your belt before you even think about using something like HIT or DC. 

I suggest going over to AST and signing up for Max-OT and read it, understand it, use it.
nasser=piece of shit

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 11:18:09 AM »
simple question......

PITT-Training