Author Topic: Olive Oil  (Read 5701 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Olive Oil
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:15:52 PM »
While fish oil is still my number one supplement, the following convinced me to add olive oil on a daily basis as well.  I see particular application to weight training regimens as an ibuprofen substitute:

"5 Reasons Why Olive Oil is the Ultimate Healthy Fat"

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/8039/5-reasons-why-olive-oil-is-the-ultimate-healthy-fat

"Whether in Rome or at home, do as the Romans do: Make olive oil a staple. If you already eat the Mediterranean way, you know that the oil not only tastes good but that it is good for you. It's an amazing source of antioxidants, capable of dousing inflammation, defending cells from menacing molecules, and more. Here's the latest on this superhero food.

IT CUTS YOUR CANCER RISK
Olive oil's cancer-preventing powers are lab legends. Which substances get the credit? Polyphenols, for one -- these potent plant antioxidants protect against cancer-causing cell damage. But it also looks like the oil's monounsaturated fat has anti-cancer effects, which means olive oil packs quite a one-two punch! Some people-proof: Check the lower rates of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer among Southern Europeans -- whose diets flow with olive oil -- compared to their northern neighbors.

IT HELPS YOUR HEART
There's virtually nothing better than the big "double O" when it comes to your heart. Olive oil ups good HDL cholesterol, lowers bad LDL, and reduces other harmful blood fats (triglycerides). And that's not all. It also reduces inflammation, another contributor to cardiovascular disease.

IT KEEPS YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE DOWN
Speaking of your heart, how's your blood pressure? If it's not below 120/80, you need to get it there. And yes, olive oil plays a role. It can help enough to reduce the need for daily meds. Those potent polyphenols appear to dilate arteries, which brings blood pressure down. (Always choose extra-virgin olive oil, by the way -- its minimal processing preserves the maximum number of antioxidants and heat-sensitive vitamins.)

IT HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT
"Great taste, less filling" -- that light beer slogan rings true for olive oil. While ounce for ounce, all oils have the same calories, olive oil has a fuller flavor so less is needed for tantalizing taste. Plus research shows that overweight people who eat a diet with some fat -- including olive oil -- are more likely to shed pounds than those who slash fat. Why? Oil's rich flavor makes it easier to stick with the program.

IT EASES YOUR ACHING HEAD
If you're prone to headaches and wary of overdoing ibuprofen, try routinely dressing your salad or crisp-tender veggies in extra-virgin olive oil. It contains oleocanthal, a natural compound that, like ibuprofen, blocks pain-producing and inflammatory substances -- but without the risk of stomach upset. While daily oleocanthal doses aren't the painkiller's complete equal, they could lower your risk for heart disease, cancer, arthritis and possibly Alzheimer's. Quite a trade-off."

pobrecito

• Getbig V
Re: Olive Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »
My family has been cooking with olive oil my whole life, wouldn't have it any other way.

But do NOT buy the cheap shit......extra virgin only, and preferably find your little Italian store/market and ask the owner what is best.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »
My family has been cooking with olive oil my whole life, wouldn't have it any other way.

But do NOT buy the cheap shit......extra virgin only, and preferably find your little Italian store/market and ask the owner what is best.

Good tip.  Thanks.

4thAD

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
I have been cooking with olive oil for years, and so has my family. Are we talking about just cooking or adding to protein drinks also?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
I was thinking of just downing a tablespoon at night. I don't think olive oil flavor would go well with my vanilla and chocolate flavored protein powders.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »
I was thinking of just downing a tablespoon at night. I don't think olive oil flavor would go well with my vanilla and chocolate flavored protein powders.

You'd be surprised.  You'll probably not even notice it, if it's the plain stuff; not extra virgin
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »
I was thinking of just downing a tablespoon at night.

I seem to recall reading years ago that the health benefits such as those mentioned were achieved through consuming it 'raw' such as on a salad (or just drinking it).  Apparently those benefits are lost when the oil is used to cook with.  There might be a specific temp at which those properties are lost; I don't recall.  It's still a better cooking option than other oils and tastes good too.
:

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
I seem to recall reading years ago that the health benefits such as those mentioned were achieved through consuming it 'raw' such as on a salad (or just drinking it).  Apparently those benefits are lost when the oil is used to cook with.  There might be a specific temp at which those properties are lost; I don't recall.  It's still a better cooking option than other oils and tastes good too.

Yes, only raw has it's true benefits like any other fat. Olive oil as a heating temp up to 325 degrees compare to fats like Coconut oil, Ghee ( clarified butter), Palm oil or Lard with heating temp up to 375 degrees which are better to cook with.
If you are going to use a fat in your protein shake, use coconut oil instead.

dan_123

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
yeah if you cook olive oil at too hot temperatures, the oil particles break and then it's just BAD fat.

but "raw" olive oil is SOOO good for everything in your body

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »
yeah if you cook olive oil at too hot temperatures, the oil particles break and then it's just BAD fat.

but "raw" olive oil is SOOO good for everything in your body

"Bad" in what way?
If you're saying it turns into a saturated or hydrogenated fat - it doesn't.
:

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »

"Bad" in what way?
If you're saying it turns into a saturated or hydrogenated fat - it doesn't.

I think he means that when you heat any fats/oils they become rancid which produces a lot of free radicals and changes the nutrient value.Rancid fats create free radicals which attack cell membranes and red blood cells, which can then damage DNA and RNA strands and can trigger mutations in tissue, blood vessels and skin.
  There is nothing wrong with healthy saturated fats by the way. Coconut oil and palm oil are 92% and 50% saturated fats respectively. Saturated fats constitute about 50% of the cell membrane.( The brain and heart are made of primarily all saturated fat). Together with protein, fats give our cells stiffness and integrity. They play a vital role in the health of our bones; for calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats must be saturated. They lower LDLs in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease. Saturated fats are needed for proper utilization of essential fatty acids; elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. Saturated fats are also a rich source of Vitamins A and D.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 01:56:28 AM »

Extra virgin is actually the cheapest. Extra virgin just means how the oil has been extracted and shows the quality of acidity of the oil. Extra virgin/virgin/olive oil are also international standards, you cannot use them on any specific bottle of olive-oil.

It should not matter if buy a bottle of extra-virgin from the wall-mart for a couple of dollars, should be about 4 dollars a liter,
or buying an expensive one.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »

Why would you cook with extra virgin olive oil?  It is just a waste of money and most of the time will make no significant difference to whatever you are cooking.  Indeed its flavour goes off at high temperature.  For dressings, extra virgin is much superior.  I usually have a standard olive oil for cooking with and extra virgin for use with dressings etc.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 08:14:22 AM »
Why would you cook with extra virgin olive oil?  It is just a waste of money and most of the time will make no significant difference to whatever you are cooking.  Indeed its flavour goes off at high temperature.  For dressings, extra virgin is much superior.  I usually have a standard olive oil for cooking with and extra virgin for use with dressings etc.

Also, when you using Olive Oil, don't buy Pomace Olive Oil. Pomace Olive Oil is a second grade oil and a lot of chemicals were used to extract it. The shit taste nasty as well.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 08:20:11 AM »
Extra virgin is actually the cheapest. Extra virgin just means how the oil has been extracted and shows the quality of acidity of the oil. Extra virgin/virgin/olive oil are also international standards, you cannot use them on any specific bottle of olive-oil.

It should not matter if buy a bottle of extra-virgin from the wall-mart for a couple of dollars, should be about 4 dollars a liter,
or buying an expensive one.

Do you think all olives taste the same?  There are usually differences in taste and hence part of the reason why there are differences in price.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 08:43:09 PM »
Do you think all olives taste the same?  There are usually differences in taste and hence part of the reason why there are differences in price.

Exactly. That guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about....I actually have a jug of the cheap shit extra virgin and it tastes like garbage. At the moment I am actually using a Greek olive oil made from kalamata olives, truly outstanding.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »
coconut oil is much healthier for cooking due to its better oxidation rate and lower level of mutagenicity from heat. olive oil only yeilds benefits when consumed raw as someone outlined. coconut oil is also anti-bacterial,anti-microbial.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 09:29:49 PM »
coconut oil is much healthier for cooking due to its better oxidation rate and lower level of mutagenicity from heat. olive oil only yeilds benefits when consumed raw as someone outlined. coconut oil is also anti-bacterial,anti-microbial.

Coconut oil is also pure saturated fat! :P

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 06:19:41 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

lauric acid if im not mistaken, it is healthy, saturated fats are needed for utilization of essential fatty acids, and comprise membrane walls. lauric acid needs little digestion also, so its a good source of energy. its healthier the vergatable fats imo.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 09:52:18 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

There is NOTHING Wrong with healhy saturated fats....Mary Enig PhD, a renowned researcher on fats, points out that the scientific evidence does not support the assertion that “artery-clogging” saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fats in artery clogs reveals that only about 26% of those clots are made of saturated fats. The rest are unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated – the stuff that is supposed to be good for us!
Coconut Oil is a medium-chain-fatty-acid.  The most important thing of MCFAs that enhance and boost the bodies immune system are Caproic Acid, Caprylic Acid, Capric Acid and Lauric Acid and Myristic Acid . It is however the powerful capacity of Lauric acid to immobilise harmful invaders of our body. Plus it doesn't store in the body as fat but burns bodyfat.......

suckmymuscle

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »
  Have you ever heard of dendê oil? I lived in South America for years and dendê oil is used there for cooking and things like that. It is coconut oil. Well, I'm not an M.D, but doctors there prohibit those with myocardial disease to eat it due to it's high saturated fat content.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 04:12:15 AM »
  Have you ever heard of dendê oil? I lived in South America for years and dendê oil is used there for cooking and things like that. It is coconut oil. Well, I'm not an M.D, but doctors there prohibit those with myocardial disease to eat it due to it's high saturated fat content.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

So what does that suppose to mean?.. Medical Doctors don't know crap about health.  How did we get here as people then- how did we evolve? If saturated animal fats were the villain, none of us would be here. We evolved on diets that were for the most part 50%-80% animals, fish and birds, all primary sources of saturated fats. While the "medical community" states that saturated fats are bad for us,  it is not the saturated fat that is bad, but it is what the commercial farmers are doing to the animals that makes their fat bad. A healthy organic animal does not have saturated fat that is bad for you, otherwise we would not have had Eskimos, American Indians or otherwise! Like I mentioned before, your heart and brain are made of saturated fats. We have more people eating so called " Healthy or Low Fat Diets" and yet we see more heart problems than ever!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 10:19:15 PM »
So what does that suppose to mean?.. Medical Doctors don't know crap about health.  How did we get here as people then- how did we evolve? If saturated animal fats were the villain, none of us would be here. We evolved on diets that were for the most part 50%-80% animals, fish and birds, all primary sources of saturated fats. While the "medical community" states that saturated fats are bad for us,  it is not the saturated fat that is bad, but it is what the commercial farmers are doing to the animals that makes their fat bad. A healthy organic animal does not have saturated fat that is bad for you, otherwise we would not have had Eskimos, American Indians or otherwise! Like I mentioned before, your heart and brain are made of saturated fats. We have more people eating so called " Healthy or Low Fat Diets" and yet we see more heart problems than ever!

Well, first of all let me compliment you on the excellency of your post. I actually agree with you: MDs are in the business of creating illness and maladies rather than curing them - the more diseases and ill-health, the more business.

And you're also right that Human during the Paleolithic Era were mostly hunters and gatherers and subsisted on game meat. However, what you ignore is that the meat they ate during the Paleolithic Era was not the same that we eat today. In those days, cattle, bisons, dears and other animals ran wild and ate nothing but grass. This resulted in their bodyfat being around 3%. Nowadays, cattle eats corn, beans and other foods that are unnatural to them, and they stay confined. This results in their bodyfat being between 30 to 50%!

You are wrong if you think that Humans subsisted mainly on saturated fats. The caloric basis of the diet of Paleolithic Man was protein, then fats, and carbohydrates for last. Now, I agree with you that carbohydrates, especially the simple ones, may be even worse for Human then saturated fats - not only do they raise insulin and cause hypoglicemia, but they also raise blood tryglyceride levels -, but it does not change the fact that there is a consistent correlation between ingestion of saturated fats and myocardial pathologies. This may be incremented by the ingestion of simple sugars, which prevent the saturated fats from being burned as energy and thus accumulating in the arteries, but the correlation is still there even when the diet is depleted of carbohydrates.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that it is normal for Humans to eat large amounts of saturated fats, because it's not. Paleolithic Man ate protein firsts, and then fats and carbohydrates. And this ingestion of protein and fats came also with the ingestion of roots, root vegetables and berries, which aid digestion and provide antioxidants and vitamins that are largely absent from modern day diets. Even if Paleolithic Man ate 20% of his daily calories from saturated animal fats -a stretch - he compensated for this by not eating simple sugars - thus allowing the saturated fat to be burned as energy -, doing lots of exercise and eating large amounts of plant material which mitigates, to some degree, the deleterious effects of eating saturated fats. Don't confuse the diet of Paleolithic Man with that of Modern Man, because they were very different. Hope this helps! :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

G

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 11:02:27 PM »
You'd be surprised.  You'll probably not even notice it, if it's the plain stuff; not extra virgin

yeah but the thing is that you dont get the healt benefits of the olive oil if it's regular compared to extra virgin....

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 11:19:11 PM »
   I never said that they just evolved alone on Saturated Fat!! I am saying that  HEALTHY saturated fats are not bad!! As for consuming ratios, look at the Eskimos and Native American Indians, they were nomads and consumed mostly meats and fats. Eskimos diet alone before the white man came into their land was 90% meats and fats. Then you have the Honzu Indians in India where their diet was mostly vegetables and very little meat because of the availability. Read Dr. Weston Price's Book called " Nutrition and Physical Degeneration."
 Yes, you are correct that our food is not the same as it was 100 years ago or even 40 years ago.It is the ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 in our diets that is important. Early studies on traditional, healthy hunter-gather societies show that they ate a ratio of somewhere between 1:1 and 1:4, omega-3: omega-6 fatty acids. However the ratio in the Standard American Diet (SAD indeed!) is between 1:16 to 1:30. It is no coincidence that the fatty acid ratio of commercially-raised eggs is between 1:20 and 1:30, and the ratio in commercially-farmed fish and commercially-raised meat fed a high grain diet is also close to this. So we are eating a diet high in inflammation-causing omega-6 fatty acids, and anti-inflammation drugs are some of the biggest sellers in the world! Another coincidence? I think not! Research also shows that wild game meat contains omega-3: omega-6 FA ratios of around 1:3 to 1:4 in muscle and organs and 1:1 in the brain. Traditional hunter-gatherers enjoy eating the organs and brains of wild animals; meats rich in omega-3 FA. So the way we are commercially raising animals for meat today has completely changed the profile of the omega FA in the meat, and is adversely affecting our health.
The whole point of this is to state that we need saturated fats to survive, regardless the ratio. For me, I need a large percentage of  protein and fats because of my Metabolic Type.
Consume healthy fats like Coconut Oil, raw butter, palm oil, Cold-pressed, unfiltered organic olive oil, Flax seed oil, Ghee (clarified butter) , Meats & Eggs from free range, organic sources.