Author Topic: The real answer to how much fish oil  (Read 5536 times)

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
Re: The real answer to how much fish oil
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 03:57:27 PM »
Optimum has enteric coated fish oil soft gel caps.  They have 1,000 mg of Fish Oil, 120 mg of DHA and 180 mg of EPA. Whats good is that they are enteric coated  so you dont get that stinky fish breath!!
I take 1 a day

www.optimumnutrition.com
O

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 04:14:49 PM »
Consumer Labs?

I checked the site and that was not the one.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 10:00:41 AM »
In 3 words!!

No!

DR. pauling would disagree, few vitamins have the multiple effects of vitamin c.

i would take 3-5 grams of ascobate based from minerals a day, numerous studies have shown the beneficial effects on inflammation, and immune function not to mention its very high on the ORAC.

for fish oil, the poisoning everyone is referring too is from heavy metals namely mercury. i would just get some good quality fish oil, perhaps genuine health which is a good company. krill is good but fuck doctor mercola :D ;D.

if you have an existing problem like allergies, asthma, colitis etc where inflammation is the main component(as it is in every disease, even CHD) i would suggest 3 grams of EPA and 2 of DHA or around 10 grams of fish oil a day. fish oil(or the o3 components) have strong inhibitory effects on leukotrienes which mediate the inflammatory response made from AA. supplementing with fish oil will suppress these inflammatory cytokines and offer alot of releif. also any inflammation in general.

i would also suggest adding some GLA to the mix via borage or black current, primrose as it has synergistic effects with DHA,EPA. also if possible try to get one with all three and DPA, a precursor to DHA.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 11:46:06 AM »
DR. pauling would disagree, few vitamins have the multiple effects of vitamin c.

i would take 3-5 grams of ascobate based from minerals a day, numerous studies have shown the beneficial effects on inflammation, and immune function not to mention its very high on the ORAC.

for fish oil, the poisoning everyone is referring too is from heavy metals namely mercury. i would just get some good quality fish oil, perhaps genuine health which is a good company. krill is good but fuck doctor mercola :D ;D.

if you have an existing problem like allergies, asthma, colitis etc where inflammation is the main component(as it is in every disease, even CHD) i would suggest 3 grams of EPA and 2 of DHA or around 10 grams of fish oil a day. fish oil(or the o3 components) have strong inhibitory effects on leukotrienes which mediate the inflammatory response made from AA. supplementing with fish oil will suppress these inflammatory cytokines and offer alot of releif. also any inflammation in general.

i would also suggest adding some GLA to the mix via borage or black current, primrose as it has synergistic effects with DHA,EPA. also if possible try to get one with all three and DPA, a precursor to DHA.

I agree we need some form of additional nutrients and vitamins but you need to see where you are getting it from. If what you are taking doesn't have its synergistic elements, it's useless. As for Mercola, I know you are half-joking but I have done a lot of writing for him and he is a dear friend, so be careful with what you say...thanks.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
Optimum has enteric coated fish oil soft gel caps.  They have 1,000 mg of Fish Oil, 120 mg of DHA and 180 mg of EPA. Whats good is that they are enteric coated  so you dont get that stinky fish breath!!
I take 1 a day

www.optimumnutrition.com

For any appreciable benefit, you need more
:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »
I agree we need some form of additional nutrients and vitamins but you need to see where you are getting it from. If what you are taking doesn't have its synergistic elements, it's useless. As for Mercola, I know you are half-joking but I have done a lot of writing for him and he is a dear friend, so be careful with what you say...thanks.

i challenge you and mercola to a cage fight ;D.

i agree on the synergistic elements, but little is known about phytonutrients and phytochemicals so its hard to make really good formulas imo

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »

For any appreciable benefit, you need more

Hi Princess,
Correct for maybe most, but I get a little nausea when I increase my dosage, but thats me. I have a family member that has lupus. She takes 4 a day and she is amazed at the benefits!!! Its a lot cheaper than all the crap the doctors give her!!
O

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 09:04:10 PM »
Hi Princess,
Correct for maybe most, but I get a little nausea when I increase my dosage, but thats me. I have a family member that has lupus. She takes 4 a day and she is amazed at the benefits!!! Its a lot cheaper than all the crap the doctors give her!!

Nausea is not good and could be attributed to any number of things, however, before I suggest switching brands (sorry  :-\), try any one or all of these - or any combination thereof...  at least try to double/triple your dose

Keep them in the fridge
Keep them in the freezer
Take with food
Take before bed
Split your doses

:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »

Nausea is not good and could be attributed to any number of things, however, before I suggest switching brands (sorry  :-\), try any one or all of these - or any combination thereof...  at least try to double/triple your dose

Keep them in the fridge
Keep them in the freezer
Take with foodTake before bed
Split your doses

definately take with food if you are getting nausea. Or right after eating also helps my stomach.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:17 AM »
Hi Princess,

Cindy, do you have or had any gallbladder issues?

As for your family member, what form of Lupus does she have? Is it Systemic Lupus?

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 09:33:36 AM »
Thanks Dr. D and Princess.

No Gall Bladder issues. I am as healthy as a horse or is it a mule. ;D Its only slight nausea. I am going to try taking it before bed.

Princess no plans on switching brands ;), no "fish" burps since I switched to ON enteric coated. Everyone is different. I had nausea through my entire pregnancy, every day!!

Dr D, She has systemic lupus. (skin and joint). She takes an antimalarian drug as well as some anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea prescription drugs....
She feels great with fish oil supplementation. I wish she knew about this when she was first positively diagnosed.
O

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
Thanks Dr. D
Dr D, She has systemic lupus. (skin and joint). She takes an antimalarian drug as well as some anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea prescription drugs....
She feels great with fish oil supplementation. I wish she knew about this when she was first positively diagnosed.

Yeah, unfortunately our doctors have no clue about health,they just keep popping her those drugs.
I feel we have a big part in creating Lupus. It is an autoimmune disease where one starts
fighting one self from an overload of sympathetic stress. Now stress can
come from anywhere really. I knew a girl who had lupus, she was eating a bunch of breads, bagels, junk food and the doctor said it was ok.  :o. 6 months later she died.
If you really want to improve her health, I would get her off all Gluten/ Grains and sugars ASAP. These will contribute to the problem. Healthy fats like Fish oils/cod liver oils, coconut oils and so forth will help improve her situation. Also, you need to address her stress issues. Any questions, let me know.

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 05:02:57 PM »
Thanks Dr. D.
Funny (Well actually not), when she gets stressed her lupus flairs up.
She eats a lot of salads, not too many breads. I think she needs to exercise more. She has one dr that told her not to take vitamins because it would strengthen her immune system..

Well, at least the fish oil is working for her.
I heard that evening primrose oil is beneficial, but I have not recommended it.

Thanks Again!!
O

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »
Thanks Dr. D.
Funny (Well actually not), when she gets stressed her lupus flairs up.
She eats a lot of salads, not too many breads. I think she needs to exercise more. She has one dr that told her not to take vitamins because it would strengthen her immune system..

Well, at least the fish oil is working for her.
I heard that evening primrose oil is beneficial, but I have not recommended it.

Thanks Again!!

I would try to get her on some healthy proteins ( grass fed chickens as an example.) Use the bones to make broths. The broths will help. Under stress you need to consistently feed the body. I would get her Adrenals check out (saliva testing) and see where she is at.