Author Topic: US Church backs same-sex marriage  (Read 9281 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
US Church backs same-sex marriage
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:58:50 AM »

Massachusetts is currently the only
state to allow same-sex marriages

The million-strong United Church of Christ (UCC) has become the first major US Christian denomination to come out in support of gay marriage.

The UCC's general synod passed a resolution affirming "equal rights for couples regardless of gender".

The decision is not binding and will not require pastors to marry same-sex couples, though some already do.

Several other Churches have endorsed gay civil partnerships but have not given them the status of marriage.

The Episcopal Church (the US branch of the Anglican Communion) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church permit same-sex unions, while the Presbyterian Church is seeking to resolve severe disagreements over the issue.

US conservatives are seeking to amend the country's constitution to ban same-sex marriage, which is currently legal only in the state of Massachusetts.

Vermont allows same-sex civil unions, giving gay couples the same benefits as married couples on matters such as life insurance, health care and child custody.

Neighbouring Canada's lower house of parliament passed a law allowing gay marriages last week, which is expected to come into force in July.

'Courageous'

Around 80% of the UCC's 884-member synod voted in favour of the resolution on Monday.

Rev John Thomas, the UCC president and general minister, noted the significance of passing the resolution on US Independence Day.

"On this July 4, the United Church of Christ has courageously acted to declare freedom, affirming marriage equality, affirming the civil rights of gay... couples to have their relationships recognised as marriages by the state, and encouraging our local churches celebrate those marriages," he said at a news conference after the vote.

UCC churches are autonomous, and the synod cannot dictate policy to individual congregations.

Nevertheless, opponents of the resolution said it could cause a split.

"I would like to see us stay in the denomination and network for positive change, said Rev Brett Brecker, who represents a conservative group in the Church.

"However, many of my members have expressed very clearly that this decision would cause great consternation and that, if this happened, they would want to see us leave."

The UCC, which is strong in New England, an area traditionally more tolerant of same-sex unions than other parts of the country, became the first major denomination to ordain an openly gay minister in the early 1970s.

It declared itself to be "open and affirming" of gays and lesbians 20 years ago.

The Church has almost 6,000 congregations and 1.3 million members.

'cause I gotta post something Beach will be eager to read... Don't want the poor guy feeling left out  :D
w

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: US Church backs same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:09:05 AM »
I keep thinking beach bum is a woman. Perhaps it is the screen name that gave me the impression, and it's extrmely hard to visualise him as a male  ??? Talk about a lasting first impression
follow the arrows

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:12:26 AM »
I keep thinking beach bum is a woman. Perhaps it is the screen name that gave me the impression, and it's extrmely hard to visualise him as a male  ??? Talk about a lasting first impression

He reminds me of the guy from the Swiss Chalet commercials renegotiating curfew with his daughter
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »
I wonder what version of the Bible this church uses? 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »
I love it.

There are probably thousands of uptight neotaint Catholics punching the wall because of this situation.

Ouch, it's got to hurt when all your hate isn't adopted by everyone that follows your religion.

Perhaps all the parishioners and all the clergy of this particular church are going to burn in eternal hellfire.  ;D

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:39:37 PM »
I love it.

There are probably thousands of uptight neotaint Catholics punching the wall because of this situation.

Ouch, it's got to hurt when all your hate isn't adopted by everyone that follows your religion.

Perhaps all the parishioners and all the clergy of this particular church are going to burn in eternal hellfire.  ;D
The Catholic church accepts that there are gays and says gay thoughts can happen but ACTING on them is wrong.  Plus this church is not even that big compared to others.

Lighten up.   ;D
Squishy face retard

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:41:47 PM »
The Catholic church accepts that there are gays and says gay thoughts can happen but ACTING on them is wrong.  Plus this church is not even that big compared to others.

Lighten up.   ;D

Hey neo, this stuff cracks me up. I couldn't get more lightened up when laughing at uptight neotaints.

By the way, a neotaint that wants to control the way everyone else lives telling someone else to lighten up is hilarious if not a tad ironic.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »
Hey neo, this stuff cracks me up. I couldn't get more lightened up when laughing at uptight neotaints.

By the way, a neotaint that wants to control the way everyone else lives telling someone else to lighten up is hilarious if not a tad ironic.
Does it affect your life or are you the crusader of all things anti-conservative?  Or are you gay?  Honestly because I'm telling you to lighten up because of this does not affect your life then who are you to attack people who legitimately believe that marriage is for a man and woman.
Squishy face retard

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »
I wonder what version of the Bible this church uses? 

Probably the same version as you

What's your point?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »

Massachusetts is currently the only
state to allow same-sex marriages

The million-strong United Church of Christ (UCC) has become the first major US Christian denomination to come out in support of gay marriage.

The UCC's general synod passed a resolution affirming "equal rights for couples regardless of gender".

The decision is not binding and will not require pastors to marry same-sex couples, though some already do.

Several other Churches have endorsed gay civil partnerships but have not given them the status of marriage.

The Episcopal Church (the US branch of the Anglican Communion) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church permit same-sex unions, while the Presbyterian Church is seeking to resolve severe disagreements over the issue.

US conservatives are seeking to amend the country's constitution to ban same-sex marriage, which is currently legal only in the state of Massachusetts.

Vermont allows same-sex civil unions, giving gay couples the same benefits as married couples on matters such as life insurance, health care and child custody.

Neighbouring Canada's lower house of parliament passed a law allowing gay marriages last week, which is expected to come into force in July.

'Courageous'

Around 80% of the UCC's 884-member synod voted in favour of the resolution on Monday.

Rev John Thomas, the UCC president and general minister, noted the significance of passing the resolution on US Independence Day.

"On this July 4, the United Church of Christ has courageously acted to declare freedom, affirming marriage equality, affirming the civil rights of gay... couples to have their relationships recognised as marriages by the state, and encouraging our local churches celebrate those marriages," he said at a news conference after the vote.

UCC churches are autonomous, and the synod cannot dictate policy to individual congregations.

Nevertheless, opponents of the resolution said it could cause a split.

"I would like to see us stay in the denomination and network for positive change, said Rev Brett Brecker, who represents a conservative group in the Church.

"However, many of my members have expressed very clearly that this decision would cause great consternation and that, if this happened, they would want to see us leave."

The UCC, which is strong in New England, an area traditionally more tolerant of same-sex unions than other parts of the country, became the first major denomination to ordain an openly gay minister in the early 1970s.

It declared itself to be "open and affirming" of gays and lesbians 20 years ago.

The Church has almost 6,000 congregations and 1.3 million members.

'cause I gotta post something Beach will be eager to read... Don't want the poor guy feeling left out  :D

Proof that MOST Liberals cannot be Christians!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »
Does it affect your life or are you the crusader of all things anti-conservative?  Or are you gay?  Honestly because I'm telling you to lighten up because of this does not affect your life then who are you to attack people who legitimately believe that marriage is for a man and woman.

NEWSFLASH, it doesn't effect any of our lives, unless you're a homosexual.

This is the thing that cracks me up most about you neotaints. You want to control everyone and what others do that is none of your business somehow effects you.  ::)

NEWSFLASH II, I legitimately believe marriage between two homosexuals is none of yours or my business. I have every right to believe that just as you have every right to believe the opposite.

I love how you completely ignore that concept, as if only your belief is valid.

I applaud your dislike for homosexuals but I find appalling your desire to control how everyone else lives.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »
Proof that MOST Liberals cannot be Christians!

OMG - you get dumber every day

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
OMG - you get dumber every day

Really, how can someone be a true Christian and back something that scripture is VERY clear on?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
Really, how can someone be a true Christian and back something that scripture is VERY clear on?

okay - you can quote me the scripture and then we can have that discussion but first tell me what this has to do with LIBS and how they can't be Christian? 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 07:51:09 PM »

This is the thing that cracks me up most about you neotaints. You want to control everyone and what others do that is none of your business somehow effects you.  ::)

NEWSFLASH II, I legitimately believe marriage between two homosexuals is none of yours or my business. I have every right to believe that just as you have every right to believe the opposite.

I applaud your dislike for homosexuals but I find appalling your desire to control how everyone else lives.
Lol...you obviously 1.) cannot read and 2.) do not know anything about Church doctrine on homosexuality.  The Church recognizes that people will have homosexual tendencies but to ACT on them is not in line with doctrine.  It sounds like you have a problem with the Church.  BTW, the institution of marriage has been around MUCH longer than any US political party and it is between a MAN and a WOMAN.  Homosexuals are not new.  Greeks had gay sex but they did not marry.  Go cry to Achilles.
Squishy face retard

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 08:13:20 PM »
Lol...you obviously 1.) cannot read and 2.) do not know anything about Church doctrine on homosexuality.  The Church recognizes that people will have homosexual tendencies but to ACT on them is not in line with doctrine.  It sounds like you have a problem with the Church.  BTW, the institution of marriage has been around MUCH longer than any US political party and it is between a MAN and a WOMAN.  Homosexuals are not new.  Greeks had gay sex but they did not marry.  Go cry to Achilles.

LOL, I like the Achilles line.

You skipped over the part about what two people do being none of yours or my business. And no offense but I grew up in Boston, the Church has a long and storied history of allowing and propagating not only homosexuality but also pedophilia. So your point "ACT on them" doesn't really hold much merit.

Again, hypocrites trying to control what others do while not controlling what they themselves do. My favorite Religious Conservative trait.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 08:21:58 PM »
LOL, I like the Achilles line.

You skipped over the part about what two people do being none of yours or my business. And no offense but I grew up in Boston, the Church has a long and storied history of allowing and propagating not only homosexuality but also pedophilia. So your point "ACT on them" doesn't really hold much merit.

Again, hypocrites trying to control what others do while not controlling what they themselves do. My favorite Religious Conservative trait.

Are you Catholic?  If you don't mind answering...

Most conservative religious institutions teach that homosexuality is a chosen, addictive behavior. However, the Roman Catholic church accepts the findings of almost all human sexuality researchers and mental health therapists that a minority of humans  have a homosexual orientation. This is not something that they choose; rather they discover it after puberty. In other matters related to homosexuality, the Church agrees with other conservative religious groups. They regard homosexual orientation to be “objectively disordered” and view homosexual practices as very serious  “sins gravely contrary to chastity”. 3

These beliefs are grounded in their concept of natural law. The church once taught that the sole purpose of sex -- and marriage -- was procreation. They have modified this stance in recent decades by admitting that also has a unitive function; it bonds married couples closer together and strengthens their relationship. But, since the Church still regards the main purpose of sex to be procreation, they insist that any sexual act must be open to conception in order to be ethical. On this basis, they forbid the use of artificial methods of birth control, and consider any sexual behavior other than intercourse between a husband and wife to be a grave moral sin. Forbidden practices include masturbation, pre-marital sex, post-marital sex, extra-marital sex and all same-sex behaviors.

They teach that

"...men and women with homosexual tendencies 'must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided'. " 3

However, they believe that there are other forms of discrimination against gays and lesbians which are just. Access to marriage and the formation of sexually active committed non-marital relationships are not options that they consider open to gays and lesbians. The church teaches that persons with a homosexual orientation "are called, like other Christians, to live the virtue of chastity," and a life of loneliness and lack of sexual intimacy.
Squishy face retard

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
Yes, I was raised Catholic although I am not a true practicing Catholic anymore but my gf/fiance is. Although I did attend Novina very recently.

Very interesting piece you quoted, a few points stand out.

The church considers all sex that is not intercourse to be a grave sin? So no oral sex or anal sex or hand sex (for lack of a better term) even if it's with your spouse? That seems unbelievably constrictive. It's almost as if they deny that sex is a natural human function.

Also, the portion regarding "homosexuals not being discriminated against except in marriage" was rather amusing. The Church finds no issue with railing against homosexuality but doesn't expect any discrimination other than not being able to marry? LOL

There has been more absurd and violent discrimination perpetrated on homosexuals in the name of the Church than perhaps any other source.

All in all a very interesting piece, thanks for posting it. I enjoyed reading it.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 09:10:33 PM »
okay - you can quote me the scripture and then we can have that discussion but first tell me what this has to do with LIBS and how they can't be Christian? 

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."
—Genesis 1:27 (NKJV)

"And the LORD God said, 'It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.' Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said: 'This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.' Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed."
—Genesis 2:18-25 (NKJV)

Most Liberals go against this, abortion, etc, yet they call themselves CHRISTIANS, although we I know and realize that we are all sinners, true Christians show repent for their sins, MOST of the Liberals I have seen and heard actually advocate these actions that go against God's word.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 09:12:26 PM »

I'm starting to like you!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »
Most Liberals go against this, abortion, etc, yet they call themselves CHRISTIANS, although we I know and realize that we are all sinners, true Christians show repent for their sins, MOST of the Liberals I have seen and heard actually advocate these actions that go against God's word.

What is God's word on pre-emptively killing a man because he MIGHT try to harm you SOMEDAY?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »

You don't have kids do you?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 09:15:50 PM »
What is God's word on pre-emptively killing a man because he MIGHT try to harm you SOMEDAY?

Don't tell me you think the war was pre-emptive!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »
You don't have kids do you?

I have a child.  I sure as hell don't want him growing up in a world where men hold hands and women get married.  I don't want that, not one bit.  it's disgusting to me, personally.

However, I know that in this world, you cannot control what others do or feel.  I also know that I'm more concerned with paying the mortgage (and therefore issues with the economy and oil) than I am with wondering whether the men living next door have a piece of paper or not (gay marriage issues).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »
Don't tell me you think the war was pre-emptive!!!

Bush told us it was pre-emptive.  The Bush doctrine is VERY clear - we will attack nations with military force when we perceive them to be a potential threat.  If they have the means (proven or suspected) and we believe their intentions are unpure (proven or suspected) we will attack with any means including nuclear.

In light of this, I ask you again: