Author Topic: Australian bodybuilding ... is there a future??  (Read 23523 times)

Luke Wood

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Australian bodybuilding ... is there a future??
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2007, 12:30:51 AM »
never be an aussie who would want to be, i live here and im glad to be an immigrant, this place would still be a penal colony if it wasnt for all the immigrants that civilised these inbreds, all the aussies are on social security, they whinge about the lebs but most of them just sell drugs, aussies are either unemployed or drug users or usually both. They hate the lebs as they have to buy drugs of them and dont like their prices, and their to stupid to make them themselves, aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi, how fucken stupids that, thats the dumb girls mentality.

Than leave mate!!! you just gave me (A PURE AUSSIE) a good compliment on another thread and than you say that about this beautiful country and its people!! Those men and women who fought and died in World War 1 and 2 and Vietnam and all the other battles!! My father alot with the Americans fought in Vietnam and with these horrible wars we encounted Australia would not be the beautiful place it is and the beautiful people here!!! Yes there are good and bad in all races, but your post is way out of line!!! This is why so many immigrants flock to Australia because of the way we have made it, we welcome everyone and give everyone a chance to love Australia as us Australians do!

Luke Wood

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2007, 12:34:31 AM »
The women are nice here. Otherwise I wouldn't still be here!

Are you serious Vince??  I know you are joking mate!!!

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2007, 12:50:09 AM »
A pure aussie, your not black enough convict,   ;D  lets face it Lukey boy your as aussie as the kangaroos in the souvenir shops, all made in china, and if your so aussie why wasnt you at Cronulla with all the other pie eaters,reclaiming the beaches from the lebs, for fucks sake ive never seen you with a VB in your hand, all be it ive seen you in thongs, no sandals, see you cant even get that right, your as aussie as imported tea, your the worst type of aussie you wear sandals when you should wear thongs a dead set sell out, i bet you dont even like vegemite probably hasnt got enough protein in it, or it smooths you out from to much sodium, thats not aussie mate, thats fair dinkum fucked, im more aussie than you.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2007, 01:27:25 AM »
I am a proud Australian.  I love this country.  It has vast natural beauty, the people are kind and generous and there is opportunity for everyone.

This country was built from hard work.  My great-grandfather and grandfather fought in both the world-wars; and survived.  3 of my uncles went to Vietnam. 

These men were prepared to die for this country.  They are heroes in my eyes.

Long live the aussies.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2007, 01:44:33 AM »
What is this knocking Aussies? Seems uncalled for.

I have family and friends in BC and Alberta. I always wanted to live in California but came to Australia instead. So my heart is not really  here. I have grandchildren in Vancouver but also have 3 children in Sydney. If I had my gym in California it would be world famous.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2007, 01:51:27 AM »
What is this knocking Aussies? Seems uncalled for.

I have family and friends in BC and Alberta. I always wanted to live in California but came to Australia instead. So my heart is not really  here. I have grandchildren in Vancouver but also have 3 children in Sydney. If I had my gym in California it would be world famous.

Vince, you are living life in rear view mirror again...What do you mean by the statement; ''if i had my gym in California it would be world famous"  Are you serious or just being provocative?

You sound that you have many regrets in your life. You wanted to live in California but chose Australia instead?  For christ sake get over it!

Your reality is your head Vince, not tied up in a geographical location!  You of all people should be aware of this fact!

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2007, 02:14:14 AM »
Hi,Aussie mate
In Taiwan no one (except me) know Australian bodybuilders !
But most women here KNOW "Australia's Thunder From Down Under"'s dancers !!!

I remember when the sexy Australian male dancers came to Taiwan a few years ago ,Taiwanese women went to crazy !!! >:( >:( >:(  Damn !! ;D ;D
So if Australian bodybuilders can do the same performance ,the you guys have a bright future !! ;D ;D

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2007, 02:50:53 AM »
We have beautiful weather down under.  And because of that, many play sports of all kinds.

The gym culture has grown huge.  They are popping up everywhere.

If you have never been to Australia, make sure you put it on the calendar. 

It would have to be the most amazing place in the world.  When i travel, i miss home so much. 

The friendly aussies and fun loving beach-lifestyle is addictive.

Luke Wood

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2007, 04:57:05 AM »
A pure aussie, your not black enough convict,   ;D  lets face it Lukey boy your as aussie as the kangaroos in the souvenir shops, all made in china, and if your so aussie why wasnt you at Cronulla with all the other pie eaters,reclaiming the beaches from the lebs, for fucks sake ive never seen you with a VB in your hand, all be it ive seen you in thongs, no sandals, see you cant even get that right, your as aussie as imported tea, your the worst type of aussie you wear sandals when you should wear thongs a dead set sell out, i bet you dont even like vegemite probably hasnt got enough protein in it, or it smooths you out from to much sodium, thats not aussie mate, thats fair dinkum fucked, im more aussie than you.

Mate i don't know weather to laugh at your post or not, but i take it you are taking the piss out of me, so i will just see it as that!! Oh and i do like vegemite!!! ;)

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2007, 05:20:32 AM »
Not everyone thinks that Australia is such an amazing place.

There are those who take the freedoms that we have for granted.  They fail to acknowledge, that our fathers and grandfathers, fought to defend the freedoms we now enjoy today!

Yes, this country was discovered and settled by the English.  The convicts they brought over did help to build this country. We owe them gratitude for creating wonderful cities where nothing existed before!

I am proud of Australia's heritage.  I can walk down the street and hold my head up high.  I am an Aussie and i am free!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2007, 08:05:20 AM »
Hank, this country was already settled by Aborigines. It didn't need to be discovered. It was more like an invasion. Yes, it is a great place to live. Most of Australia doesn't even have a winter. In Sydney there are flowers blooming 12 months of the year. That is part of the reason I chose to live here. Sydney has over 4 million people so is a cosmopolitan city of many things and has a harbour that is probably the best in the world. Hills are near by and that provides some variation in the landscape.

The sense of humour of the Aussies is unlike Americans or Canadians. I still can't always work out when some are joking because they make fun by pretending to be telling the truth. Overseas we do the opposite and make fun by telling the truth. Beats me why more don't find me amusing down here. The Aussies were friendly when the Sydney Olympics were on. Since then they have gone back to being more reserved and tend to mind their own business and expect the same. Thankfully, they don't drop into neighbours homes like you see on sitcoms from America. The main thing we don't have here is the Jerry Springer Show. If we did we would be able to hear everything said and all the nudity. This country costs heaps to get here and go visiting. The time zone suck, too, because we are out of sync with America and Europe.

The Aussies don't like anyone knocking their country. No matter how long you live here it isn't appreciated if you say negative things about the place if you come from overseas. They, of course, can say whatever they like. They think they are friendly but they aren't as friendly as the Canadians are. The Yanks are friendly if they think they can get something from you, especially money!

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
  • Country Classic Invitational. 7th August 2010
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
We produce some great natural bodybuilders down under.  However, the problem is, as soon as they start winning a few shows they disappear off the radar.

Australia has never produced a Mr Olympia or an Arnold champion ( the only two tournaments that matter).

What is going wrong down-under? 

Are Aussies just more interested in the beach and babes, and less concerned about building a freaky physique?

I'm not going to get involved in all the racial BS on this thread, but as far as the reason that us Aussies are not doing so well in Pro BBing, well, I think that was answered somewhere else on this thread.  We are a small population, so therefore the odds are against us producing Mr Olympia's every year.  For the amount of population that we have, I think we have done quite well, as per the list of champion Aussie BBers posted on this thread.

Anyway, at that level, politics is a big part of how successful you will become.  I don't believe that there will ever be another Mr Olympia that doesn't end up moving to the US.  Dorian will be known as the last "foreigner" to win a Mr Olympia.  The Olympia has really become a boring show.  Three winners in around 20yrs.  Wow, how exciting.  Added to that is the fact that it is always held in the US.  It was a much better show when it traveled around the world.  As a contest, it's shit IMO.

As far as the state of BBing in Aust is, well, to be honest, I reckon it's a bit of a mess.  Too many shows, too many classes, not enough competitors.  Our comps over here are rewarding mediocrity, It's terrible.  I went to a show on Saturday that had 50 competitors.  It had 23 classes.  Every second person won.  WTF?  It was ridiculous.  There are no real contests here anymore, just line-ups of 2-3 if you are lucky, quite often just one competitor per class.

Our BBers are not made to work hard enough IMO.  They just walk up & win.  We have 6 BBing federations here.  Each one has National titles, each one has weight/height classes, so in theory, you can have around 40 people a year running around saying they are Mr Aust, & that's just the blokes!  The women have physique, figure, fitness & now this fucking wanky Sportsmodel/Glamour/Bikini classes.  What a fucking nightmare they are!

We have you bloody Yanks to thank for those bullshit classes!  Thanks very fucking much!  Do you guys really watch that shit?  What on earth has it got to do with BBing?

Anyway, another reason that we are treading water over here is that we have no publicity or promotion for our BBers, as in a decent magazine.  All we read is what you guys are doing.  No offense, but who gives a fuck?  We want to know what's going on in our own Country, not yours.  Our BBing publications over here are a joke!  I will name them:  Ironman, MuscleMag, Muscle & Fitness & Flex.  They put in around 4 pages of Aussie content if we are lucky.  It's a bloody disgrace.

Well, I'm doing something about it.  Today I take the very first issue of Hardcore Aussie Muscle to the printers.  This is a brand new Aussie BBing magazine.  And guess what!  It's only got comps & profiles on Aussie BBers.  It's made here in Melb & will hopefully become the voice of Australian BBing.  If you win a comp, we'll be there to report on it.  It's like nothing that you have ever seen before!  I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that it's the best looking magazine that you have ever seen, better than the ones you have in the US!

Our website is up & running, although we have yet to get the forum & the gallery operating, but at least you can have a look at what the magazine is all about.  It would be remiss of me not to mention Rocco Oppedisanno's "Muscle Australia" magazine.  It was awesome & to this day is the only decent Aussie magazine to be published.  It finished back in the 80's, that's how long it's been since we had anything decent to read over here!

It's taken me 20yrs to get around to it, but here it is.  I hope you enjoy it.
www.hardcoeaussiemuscle. com.au

Craig Lucas.  (Outlaw53)

Luke Wood

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
THATS MY MAN OUTLAW!!! ;)

BUT ALSO MATE, SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO DID GET THERE FROM AUSTRALIA DID DO THE HARD YARDS AND IT WAS'NT THAT EASY! ;)

Frauhorn

• Getbig II
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
never be an aussie who would want to be, i live here and im glad to be an immigrant, this place would still be a penal colony if it wasnt for all the immigrants that civilised these inbreds, all the aussies are on social security, they whinge about the lebs but most of them just sell drugs, aussies are either unemployed or drug users or usually both. They hate the lebs as they have to buy drugs of them and dont like their prices, and their to stupid to make them themselves, aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi, how fucken stupids that, thats the dumb girls mentality.

i feel bad for lebs. everyone in sydney hates them, not just "aussie" white people but aborigines, asians, italians, greeks, even other muslims eg turkish, egyptian
they are the pariahs of sydney society. a few bad eggs spoil it for the whole batch.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »
Craig tells it the way it is. Too many organizations and hardly any press for the bodybuilders. Ironman magazine gets published as a different magazine in Australia. It fails to match the one people buy in North America. I wrote to John Balik complaining about the quality years ago. A couple of pages with small photos showing occasional results of some of the contests and not much more. Also, the editor lived in Melbourne and most of the content was about the local scene.

If someone can publish a quality magazine with good images and interesting articles it could be successful in Australia. There are several fitness publications that are still published here but no pure bodybuilding magazine. There are many stories of interest here in Australia. The gym scene, equipment, people, results, training, theories, etc.

My gym, my equipment or myself have never been mentioned in any Australia bodybuilding publication. Ironman is published here in an Aussie version yet the local editor has never invited me to write articles or send photos to them. I did two articles for US Ironman in 2000 and 2001. Curious omissions if you ask me.

Part of the reason we have so many contests over here is because of the history of contests since 1970. Paul Graham was elected in 1972 to head the IFBB and many people along the way have not been happy with the way he and Carol run things. Paul remains no matter what anyone else says because there are no elections for his position. When he was defeated in past elections he simply changed the name of his organization and retained his position with the IFBB. Since most bodybuilders want to be Mr Olympia they compete in the IFBB. Other organizations have popped up or have affiliated with overseas organizations like NABBA. Each has shows and classes and there are way too many Mr Australia winners each year as was pointed out. The IFBB, until recently here, didn't have an overall winner in the Mr Australia so that didn't reward the bodybuilders as they should have done.

The other factor that has caused so much splintering is that hardly any drug testing is done in open contests. This has led to our having not one but two natural organizations and their rules are different about who can compete as a natural. Bodybuilders, as most know, will enter any contest where they think they can win a title or a trophy!

Good for Craig if he can pull a rabbit out of the hat. If his magazine has great photos and sticks to featuring all the Aussie bodybuilders, etc.,  it should be successful. I hope he doesn't follow the US lead by having mostly advertisements.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »
I'm not going to get involved in all the racial BS on this thread, but as far as the reason that us Aussies are not doing so well in Pro BBing, well, I think that was answered somewhere else on this thread.  We are a small population, so therefore the odds are against us producing Mr Olympia's every year.  For the amount of population that we have, I think we have done quite well, as per the list of champion Aussie BBers posted on this thread.

Anyway, at that level, politics is a big part of how successful you will become.  I don't believe that there will ever be another Mr Olympia that doesn't end up moving to the US.  Dorian will be known as the last "foreigner" to win a Mr Olympia.  The Olympia has really become a boring show.  Three winners in around 20yrs.  Wow, how exciting.  Added to that is the fact that it is always held in the US.  It was a much better show when it traveled around the world.  As a contest, it's shit IMO.

As far as the state of BBing in Aust is, well, to be honest, I reckon it's a bit of a mess.  Too many shows, too many classes, not enough competitors.  Our comps over here are rewarding mediocrity, It's terrible.  I went to a show on Saturday that had 50 competitors.  It had 23 classes.  Every second person won.  WTF?  It was ridiculous.  There are no real contests here anymore, just line-ups of 2-3 if you are lucky, quite often just one competitor per class.

Our BBers are not made to work hard enough IMO.  They just walk up & win.  We have 6 BBing federations here.  Each one has National titles, each one has weight/height classes, so in theory, you can have around 40 people a year running around saying they are Mr Aust, & that's just the blokes!  The women have physique, figure, fitness & now this fucking wanky Sportsmodel/Glamour/Bikini classes.  What a fucking nightmare they are!

We have you bloody Yanks to thank for those bullshit classes!  Thanks very fucking much!  Do you guys really watch that shit?  What on earth has it got to do with BBing?

Anyway, another reason that we are treading water over here is that we have no publicity or promotion for our BBers, as in a decent magazine.  All we read is what you guys are doing.  No offense, but who gives a fuck?  We want to know what's going on in our own Country, not yours.  Our BBing publications over here are a joke!  I will name them:  Ironman, MuscleMag, Muscle & Fitness & Flex.  They put in around 4 pages of Aussie content if we are lucky.  It's a bloody disgrace.

Well, I'm doing something about it.  Today I take the very first issue of Hardcore Aussie Muscle to the printers.  This is a brand new Aussie BBing magazine.  And guess what!  It's only got comps & profiles on Aussie BBers.  It's made here in Melb & will hopefully become the voice of Australian BBing.  If you win a comp, we'll be there to report on it.  It's like nothing that you have ever seen before!  I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that it's the best looking magazine that you have ever seen, better than the ones you have in the US!

Our website is up & running, although we have yet to get the forum & the gallery operating, but at least you can have a look at what the magazine is all about.  It would be remiss of me not to mention Rocco Oppedisanno's "Muscle Australia" magazine.  It was awesome & to this day is the only decent Aussie magazine to be published.  It finished back in the 80's, that's how long it's been since we had anything decent to read over here!

It's taken me 20yrs to get around to it, but here it is.  I hope you enjoy it.
www.hardcoeaussiemuscle. com.au

Craig Lucas.  (Outlaw53)

Good luck with this new venture outlaw!

Australia has some amazing bodybuilders.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2007, 09:29:12 PM »
Hey Outlaw, are you still running that show in Bendmeover in Victoria.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »
The magazine is going to do really well down under. 

The bodybuilding scene is alive and well and is looking forward to a publication of this kind.

Australia is an amazing place.  Beautiful climate and environment with the friendliest people on the planet.

Come down and visit us! You wont want to leave!

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2007, 11:00:33 PM »
Hey Outlaw, are you still running that show in Bendmeover in Victoria.

Yeah, it's still going.  It looks like being bigger & better this year.
Here's a link to it.  www.hardcoremusclepromot ions.com.au

There are around 500 pics.  Feel free to check them out.

Cheers.

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2007, 11:17:36 PM »
[Good for Craig if he can pull a rabbit out of the hat. If his magazine has great photos and sticks to featuring all the Aussie bodybuilders, etc.,  it should be successful. I hope he doesn't follow the US lead by having mostly advertisements. [/color]

We have an ad-to-content ratio of 4-1.  For every 4 pages of content, there is one ad.
I have shitloads of content, I just need more advertisers.  I have enough, but if I can get more, I can print more content.

The photos are awesome, don't worry about that.  I have also got plenty of old photos from the 60's & 70's.
Robert Nailon & Rocco have been very generous & supportive.

You won't be disappointed, unless you want to see Bikini girls.  There are none.  BBers only.
No male models, no bimbos.  They are well & truly catered for in other publications.

We are a true & honest BBing magazine.  We won't be trying to win over the general public with gimmick type articles.
I look forward to your response once you have read it.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2007, 02:07:07 AM »
Outlaw, you are not compromising the values of a hard-core bodybuilding magazine by including women in swimsuits.

I applaud you for remaining true to the cause!  However, having a section devoted to beautiful women will enhance, not detract from the magazine (only my opinion).

I believe that advertisers would be more responsive to a magazine of this kind, if  'famale content' was included.

To tell you the truth, hard-core-bodybuilding-fans generally really enjoy looking at  gorgeous women in bikinis (as well as heavily muscled men).

Just a thought.  Not hating, just offering an idea!

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2007, 02:52:06 AM »
Outlaw, you are not compromising the values of a hard-core bodybuilding magazine by including women in swimsuits.

I applaud you for remaining true to the cause!  However, having a section devoted to beautiful women will enhance, not detract from the magazine (only my opinion).

I believe that advertisers would be more responsive to a magazine of this kind, if  'famale content' was included.

To tell you the truth, hard-core-bodybuilding-fans generally really enjoy looking at  gorgeous women in bikinis (as well as heavily muscled men).

Just a thought.  Not hating, just offering an idea!
Thanks for the feedback, a few others share your concerns.
I'm not changing a thing.  I believe we can succeed without bimbos.  They don't deserved to be covered by a BBing publication.
There are plenty of other opportunities for them.

BBers don't have a special section in other magazines, so why should we have bimbos in our's?
I'm not after cheap votes or public approval.  I don't want to do what everyone else does.

I'll just give it a try this way first, and see what happens.
There are quite a few good looking Figure, Fitness & Physique girls over here.
We'll use them instead.

I hope you are going to buy one?

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2007, 03:23:52 AM »
Outlaw, you evidently know what you want from this magazine.  You are staying true to your core beliefs about bodybuilding and that is commendable.

Availability: Will your magazine be available for sale in gyms?  Supplements sell very well at the big commercial gyms and i think there is a market for a high quality magazine like yours. 

Have you approached Doherty's,  Five Star,  Bell St. Fitness and the YMCA's to act as  distribution outlets for your mag???

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:59 AM »
Outlaw, you evidently know what you want from this magazine.  You are staying true to your core beliefs about bodybuilding and that is commendable.

Availability: Will your magazine be available for sale in gyms?  Supplements sell very well at the big commercial gyms and i think there is a market for a high quality magazine like yours. 

Have you approached Doherty's,  Five Star,  Bell St. Fitness and the YMCA's to act as  distribution outlets for your mag???
Yep.  Already done.  Quite a few gyms & supplement shops want to sell it, including both Tony's.
It's available via subscription & it will be in around 2,000 newsagents all around Australia.

How's that?

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2007, 03:41:38 AM »
That's great news. 

Are you going to create a website for the magazine?