Author Topic: forearms getting worked out  (Read 1463 times)

ryu007

• Getbig II
forearms getting worked out
« on: May 12, 2007, 09:55:11 AM »
Should I do specific workouts for my forearms? Even though when I curl they seem to get a good pump (kind of like how your bi's get pumped when you do back) I was wondering if I might be overtraining my forearms. I rarely see anyone doing forearms, and when I do 'em people look at me like I"m crazy. What's the deal? Is the forearm a forgotten muscle group?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: forearms getting worked out
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 10:09:54 AM »
the way I look at it, it's like asking if you should ever work your delts or tri's even though you bench. YES!  ;D

ryu007

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

the way I look at it, it's like asking if you should ever work your delts or tri's even though you bench. YES!  ;D
Totally. But wouldn't you agree that you seldom see other people working out their forearms? Also, when is the best day to do forearms? (With Bi's, Back?)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
Totally. But wouldn't you agree that you seldom see other people working out their forearms? Also, when is the best day to do forearms? (With Bi's, Back?)

it's up to you..you got to look at what your upcoming days are and what you're doing THAT particular day as well so that you're worked grip won't fail you the next day or two when it's trying ot recovery. I normally do them on back day since the next day is rest and chest day is after that where they don't get slammed so it works for me.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »
a lot of people feel they get worked enough as it is when training other muscle groups. my reasoning is a few sets wont hurt so i train them
once a week
Z

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »
I do grip training, but also usually throw in a few sets of reverse grip curls and zottman curls, both part of a giant set.

No matter how you train the forearms, my suggestion would be to hit them for a few sets once a week.

But don't make it some sort of big priority, doing 10-12 sets for them alone.

If you're not going to do grip training, I would suggest doing broomstick rolls once a week for two-three sets. Then do a few sets of reverse grip curls and zottmans a few days later.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
Are your forearms developed well?

If not, train them hard after biceps...............jus t because idiots today got lazy and don`t train them, it doesn`t mean they should be neglected.

Very important bodypart,especially if you have big upper arms.......your forearms will look like buggy whips by comparison if you don`t work `em.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:05:11 AM »
i dont workout my forearms, but between back day and arm day they get great workouts. use your own judgment. some people really feel they dont need to work out their forearms, and thats fine. just be open to that possibility when making your decision.

ryu007

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
Actually I have really small wrists, but through lifting my forearms have developed nicely (not huge, but you can definitely see the muscle in there without flexing) When I train them (usually on whatever day I have time to do 'em) I'll do some reverse curls SS w/ some kneeling curls on a bench. 4 sets of 10 reps NO REST. It gives 'em an awesome pump. I think I'll start doing them with Bi's since they feel sort of pre-fatigued when I'm done doing arms. I've seen the broom exercise before, my brother did that when he played baseball in High School. What about those grip strengthing devices? (The ones you squeeze like a hand) Do those work well?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
Heavy back training without straps will provide a lot of stimulus for the forearms, but it never hurts to do a little extra at the end of back, or on a seperate day.

My favourites are:-
* Behind the back forearm curls with a barbell, letting the bar roll down as far as possible before bringing it back up.
* Reverse forearm curls superset with forearm curls, using an EZ bar, builds an incredible pump.
* Reverse barbell curls, superset with a pair of grippers.

Always go to failure as well, so that your forearms are so pumped up, they feel like stone!!!