Author Topic: michael vick ... dog fighting  (Read 16023 times)

body88

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: michael vick ... dog fighting
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 07:17:55 AM »
lol...funny cartoon.

hopefully the real life story will have a better ending.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 09:15:54 AM »
Thats why i hope that Vick gets slammed. Portis is an idiot. Why this guy(Vick) was ever touted as the face of the NFL, i'll never know.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
Thats why i hope that Vick gets slammed. Portis is an idiot. Why this guy(Vick) was ever touted as the face of the NFL, i'll never know.

Because he runs about a sub 4.3 40, has a cannon for an arm, has Barry Sanders-like moves, and plays QB.  As the NFL has shown for years, you can have bad character (like Vick and his brother), but as long as you can run, throw, block, tackle, etc. and can at least stay out of prison, you will have a job in the NFL. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
Because he runs about a sub 4.3 40, has a cannon for an arm, has Barry Sanders-like moves, and plays QB.  As the NFL has shown for years, you can have bad character (like Vick and his brother), but as long as you can run, throw, block, tackle, etc. and can at least stay out of prison, you will have a job in the NFL. 
I think he's garbage for what he did.

I also don't think that he'll ever amount to much as a pro quaterback.  He has awful judgment and the throwing accuracy of Ray Charles.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
Yeah he sucks..great athlete but horrible QB.
L

body88

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:38 PM »
lol...funny cartoon.

hopefully the real life story will have a better ending.

I hope so to.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
here is the vid of clinton portis along with chris samuals speaking out in favor of vick.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 08:58:19 PM »
I think he's garbage for what he did.

I also don't think that he'll ever amount to much as a pro quaterback.  He has awful judgment and the throwing accuracy of Ray Charles.

He proved he has no character when he pulled his Ron Mexico stunt. 

But on the field, I give him a pass (so to speak).  Next to McNabb (before T.O.) and Leftwich, Vick may have had the worst set of WRs in the entire NFL for pretty much his entire career.  They still haven't adequately addressed the WR position.  Horn was a dud last year.  He might be done as a WR1. 

And even with his horrible WR group, he has had some pretty solid years.  He has also a three-time Pro Bowler and has a very good record as a starter (or least he did before last season).  He's arguably the most dangerous player in the NFL. 

body88

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »
here is the vid of clinton portis along with chris samuals speaking out in favor of vick.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday he was "extremely disappointed and embarrassed" by comments made by Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis about dogfighting, The Washington Post reported.

On Monday, Portis, asked about the investigation into an alleged dogfighting ring at a home then owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, ridiculed authorities for pursuing possible charges. Tuesday, both Portis and Redskins offensive tackle Chris Samuels apologized for their comments, and the Redskins also apologized as an organization.

Goodell, in a written statement, criticized Portis' statements.

"I'm extremely disappointed and embarrassed for Clinton Portis," he said, according to the Post. "This does not reflect the sentiments of the Redskins, the NFL or NFL players."

During the interview on WAVY-TV in Norfolk, Va., Portis and Samuels giggled and laughed frequently as they defended Vick, who has been under investigation since a police raid at one of his houses discovered dozens of dogs and items associated with dog fighting. No charges have been filed.

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said in the interview. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

Portis, a native of Laurel, Miss., added: "I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

In the segment, Portis said that Vick would be put "behind bars for no reason" if the Atlanta Falcons quarterback were charged and convicted for dog fighting. Samuels laughed during much of the interview.

"The Washington Redskins, as an organization, obviously would never condone anything related to animal cruelty," the team's statement said Tuesday. "The team takes the recent comments of Clinton Portis very seriously and apologizes to everyone that was offended."

It was the second statement in two days from the Redskins over the dog fighting flap. Late Monday, the team released a statement on behalf of Portis in which the running back said: "I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner."

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 08:16:20 AM »
He proved he has no character when he pulled his Ron Mexico stunt. 

But on the field, I give him a pass (so to speak).  Next to McNabb (before T.O.) and Leftwich, Vick may have had the worst set of WRs in the entire NFL for pretty much his entire career.  They still haven't adequately addressed the WR position.  Horn was a dud last year.  He might be done as a WR1. 

And even with his horrible WR group, he has had some pretty solid years.  He has also a three-time Pro Bowler and has a very good record as a starter (or least he did before last season).  He's arguably the most dangerous player in the NFL. 
Those are some good points.  I just can't get past the 53% career completion rate.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
..."I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said in the interview. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."...
What a horse's ass.  It's a jailable crime.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »
Those are some good points.  I just can't get past the 53% career completion rate.

That's a problem.  I'd attribute that partly to his WRs.  McNabb's completion percentage rose dramatically when they signed T.O. 

body88

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 10:31:53 AM »
What a horse's ass.  It's a jailable crime.

A felony no less. Godell apologized profusely for this clown today.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 08:02:23 AM »
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/dogpile.htm

Hahahhaa, you're a Bang Cartoon aficionado too? I love those things.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 06:23:55 AM »
they will be talking about the case on outside the lines this morning.

sunday morning, espn, 9:30.

body88

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 09:49:57 AM »
If this is true I hope Godell drops a sledgehammer on this clown.

He arrived at the hotel room, where our cameras were set up, in a T-shirt and jeans. "I'm nervous," he said, surveying our lights and camera equipment. "I've never done anything like this before."

Our confidential source says he's been involved in dog fighting for over 30 years. He's trained and fought -- by his estimation -- around 2,000 pit bulls and was poised to tell "Outside the Lines" about the time in 2000 when his dog squared off against a dog owned by someone he referred to as one of the "heavyweights" of the dog fighting world: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

"He's a pit bull fighter," the source says of Vick. "He's one of the ones that they call 'the big boys:' that's who bets a large dollar. And they have the money to bet large money. As I'm talking about large money -- $30,000 to $40,000 -- even higher. He's one of the heavyweights."

On April 25, authorities raided a house in Surry County, Va., owned by Vick and reportedly found -- among other things -- 66 dogs (most of which were pit bulls), a dog-fighting pit, blood stained carpets and equipment commonly associated with dog fighting. Vick was not at the scene and denied knowledge of dog fighting at the property. To this point, no charges have been filed against him. But questions about Vick and his possible connection to dog fighting linger.

This source -- who required anonymity as a condition of our interview -- has helped law enforcement by supplying information on dog fights that has led to dozens of felony arrests.

"I've fought dogs, I pitted them, I bred them and I've done everything with them," says the source of his three decades in dog fighting. He then went on to describe the scene from that night seven years ago, as he took his 42-pound dog into the pit (the area where dogs fight) to face off against Vick's dog. He says Vick did not get into the pit, but had a member of his entourage handle his dog, while Vick placed bets with the 20 or so people in attendance.

Outside The Lines

Michael Vick's role in dogfighting's hidden society and a look at why some athletes participate in the brutal and illegal activity are examined Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. ET on OTL.

"Then he started, you know, waving money," the source says. "He was betting with everybody ... He said he got $5,000. He said he's betting on his animal."

While the source says he doesn't know how much Vick bet that night, he does recall the matches' outcome: Vicks' dog lost. He says Vick is known in the dog fighting community as "the man that comes with all the money" and his reputation is "[that] he brings a good dog and he's going to bet and he's going bring a nice sum of cash."

ESPN contacted Vick's agent, Joel Segal, who did not respond to the source's allegations.

In the U.S., dog fighting is considered a felony in every state except Wyoming and Idaho. Despite that fact, according to the Humane Society, it's estimated that somewhere between 20,000 to 40,000 people in this country take part in this multi-billion dollar industry.

"I believe that dog fighting is on the upswing," says John Goodwin, the deputy manager of the Animal Cruelty Campaign for the Humane Society. "And I believe that certain elements of the pop culture have glamorized dog fighting and glamorized big, tough pit bulls."

American pit bull terriers account for 99 percent of the species involved in dog fighting, and a pit bull puppy can cost as much as $5000. An average dog fight carries a $10,000 purse.

So why would a professional athlete risk his reputation -- and a lifetime of financial security -- to do this? "For the thrill of it," says a member of the Professional Football Hall of Fame, who asked not to be identified. "It's like gambling, no different than when Michael Jordan drops $100,000 on a hole of golf."

There's no official data on just how many professional athletes may be associated with dog fighting today. Before the current investigation against Vick, in the last couple of years, only two professional athletes stand out as having been publicly linked to allegations of dog fighting: former NBA forward Qyntel Woods (who faced possible charges of dog fighting before pleading guilty to animal abuse in 2005) and former NFL running back LeShon Johnson, who pled guilty to three charges related to dog fighting, also, in 2005. Johnson is currently serving a five year deferred sentence. But those players only scratch the surface of what Goodwin calls a 'subculture' of dog fighting among professional athletes.

Everybody in the dog world is worried about Michael Vick talking. Michael Vick is making large money, he's making millions, OK? And if he has to tell on some people [to avoid prison time], I think he would tell … I don't put nothing past him. 
Confidential source

"You know, it's very interesting that we have got a whole roster of names of professional athletes that we know are involved in dog fighting," Goodwin says. "Surely, not every single one has come to light; I bet not even 10 percent have come to light."

If that's true, one reason may have to do with the "Code of Silence" among dog fighters. The source says many matches take place on rural farms, with 'lookouts' stationed in the woods and down surrounding roads, up to eight miles away. He adds that sometimes, local sheriffs are paid off to look the other way -- that is, when they're not participating in the dog fights themselves. But with up to two hundred people in attendance at any given match, how is it possible that a high-profile athlete can attend dog fights and never have word get out to the general public?

"Dog fighting is a very private thing," answers the source, who says that Vick was still involved in dog fighting as recently as last year. "It's all Pit Bull Men. It's close knit: you got your little boys, then you got your heavyweight boys. It's a completely different class ... And now [that] it's all over the media, and you have to keep it more private."

The source says he consented to our interview to change people's perceptions about dog fighting, because they have "the wrong idea" about it and should see "just one" match for themselves before judging it. "They'll let this other thing go -- what is it called? UFC [Ultimate Fighting Championship]?" he asked. "That is every bit as bad -- you know, that's terrible. But then you have thousands of people that cheer, rah, rah, and they really love that. You see guys get their heads busted, you know, and they get their arms messed up, their legs twisted almost off. But then they fuss over this here, is wrong."

When asked what he thinks people's reactions will be when they learn of his account of Vick's involvement in dog fighting, the source was nonplussed.

"They shouldn't be really upset, OK?" he said. "Because it's only just an animal. It's just a dog that is raised up. He's put out there, you know, and he's chained up, OK. And the time he gets a certain age, this dog is going to want to fight. It is bred in him, OK? He knows what he is and he's going to fight. Just take him off the leash, let him go."

"Dog fighting is illegal for a reason," says Goodwin. "It's a severe form of cruelty."

"The gameness that the dog fighters strive for -- and 'gameness' is the willingness to continue fighting, even in the face of extreme pain, even in the face of death -- is something that's bred into the dogs," Goodwin says. "There are pit bulls that have been bred away from the fighting lines that are perfectly socialized but the game bred dogs -- bred for fighting -- just have it bred in them, to want to kill any dog in front of them."

On Friday, Surry County Commonwealth Attorney Gerald Poindexter told The Associated Press that the investigation against Vick is "moving forward." When contacted by ESPN and asked for a response to the source's contention of Vick's involvment in dog fighting, Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts responded via e-mail, "Michael was drafted by the Falcons in 2001. The allegations regarding him are still under investigation, and until we have facts related to the investigation, we are unable to respond further."

The NFL released this statement: "Dog fighting is cruel, degrading, and illegal. We support a thorough investigation into any allegations of this type of activity. Any NFL employee proved to be involved in this type of activity will be subject to prompt and significant discipline under our personal conduct policy."

While the NFL continues to monitor the Vick investigation, there's another group closely monitoring it as well … but for a different reason.

"Everybody in the dog world is worried about Michael Vick talking," the source added, shortly before leaving our interview room and heading back to work. "Michael Vick is making large money, he's making millions, OK? And if he has to tell on some people [to avoid prison time], I think he would tell … I don't put nothing past him."

body88

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »
Hahahhaa, you're a Bang Cartoon aficionado too? I love those things.

Funny as hell. The pacman one if hilarious.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »
jesus it hurts to be a falcons fan  ::)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2007, 03:35:05 PM »
jesus it hurts to be a falcons fan  ::)

bet they wish matt shwab was still around.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
oh now worries we have harrington  ::)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »
Black people are so AWESOME!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2007, 04:52:57 PM »
Shows that you can give some hoodlum a few million, but it wont improve the content of his character one bit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
Shows that you can give some hoodlum a few million, but it wont improve the content of his character one bit.

Absolutely true.  I think one of the major problems with these athletes is many of them have poor or no life training, they are pampered in high school, they skate through whatever college they attend, and then they become overnight millionaires.  It's a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure what went on in the Vick household when they were being raised, but both of those boys are bad news.     

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »
 :-\
HAHA, RON.....